Headphone discussion

t0wer

You used closed/open instead of Circumaural/Supra-aural

open typically have less bass, but better positioning and let almost all sound in

closed offer better isolation, more bass, but worse positioning

supra-aural are on ear, circumaural are around ear

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

This. Its either:

Closed ear - over ear, on ear, earbuds (iem)

Or

Open ear - over ear, on ear, earbuds (in ear monitor)

Other than that, it looks real good.

TYPICAL headphones drivers are either designed with an open or closed ear cup (earspeakers like the K1000 don't count in this distinction).

The open design allow the driver to move farther in the opposite direction away from the ear and makes it easier to design a flatter and more accurate frequency response as you don't have to use absorbing material or spend lots of time dealing with the reflections that can occur with close-backed headphones. The clear downside with this design is that they don't isolate sound very well, and in many cases, sound just as loud to the people around you as they do to you. Semi open headphones, like the Beyerdynamics DT line, the AKG K240s and K701/2s, and Sennheiser 555/558, let SOME sound out to deal with the low frequency reflections and isolate the rest. Basically, open backed headphones will always sound better, but you'll always annoy people around you with your bad taste in music. As you'll notice, the majority of headphones over $700 are open backed for a reason.

However, I must disagree with your assumption that a headphone will typically have less bass if open backed or have less positioning if closed. Closed headphones can be designed treble heavy with "good positioning", and open headphones can have extra bass too. It's all design.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

$100 USD

Music/Video Production

1/8" Jack

Closed (completely encasing the ear)

Alot of fullness would be great. I dont want one section of the EQ to be more powerful than the others.

No Sound Card

No Microphone Needed.

Thank you!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

nice. been thinking of doing one of theese. or make a list of what headphones/headsets to buy in each price range etc .. and most of all you should add look around on the forum for similar threads before making a thread for it yourself ..

i mean seriously the audio section of the forum is out of control

What to get in each price range really comes down to what's subjectively better for you, and the best way to figure that out I guess is to read reviews. I could start adding it all in there... a database rather than a spreadsheet would probably be better, or even just links to reviews from Head-fi or similar might be in order.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

was thinking of doing each price for each respective category and preference an d just generally reccomended stuff within the price range and .. well yeah that's exactly why i didn't do it :p would take to much god dammn work!

though a database or something would be great just getting it stickied

i just want to get a general answer to all the generic threads we are getting here asking the exact same question without looking at previous threads so that we can get rid of them!

50 - 70 Sony MDR V6

70 - 100 AKG K142 HD

100 - 120 AKG K240 MKII

120 - 200 Audio Technica ATH-M50

200-250 AKG K272 HD

250+ AKG K702

That's my list anyway. :P The audio forum is seriously needs a sticky. It's insane.

Generating a sticky for this sort of issue with the aim of saying "here's what to get" would rely heavily on bias views. You'll have noticed that none of the other sub forums have stickies with similar aims as there is just a huge range of products. Each users needs and likes are different, while one person may like product A for x reason, person B may hate it for x reason. "What to buy" stickies seldom work, if at all.

There has to be a way around it, this sub forum is hard to look at sometimes.

looking at my post i went to far with saying *what to buy* in reality i just meant reccomended products well regarded or generally *this is aimed towards x use and the person who wants to do task x might like this*

that's what 80% of the threads are about :p

or we can just try to get the message across *have a look through old threads before making a new thread*

Yes, can we leave our opinions on this thread and direct people here for our inevitable suggestions instead of making the whole category about asking which headphones and sound cards to buy?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

can the mods please lock this thread also remove the comments here and place them into a separate thread in the audio subforum in order to maintain the integrity and the simplicity of the sticky

these comments are good and necessary but distracting in this thread.