Making a new computer

Arch2k

which new CPU? If you mean Broadwell-E, its already on the market. Are you talking about AMD's Zen? or perhaps Kaby lake? Kaby lake is slated for late Q3 I think, and I do not know about Zen's release date.

I heard ther will be a new skylake coming out soon @Zyndo

Arch2k

Well there will be Skylake-E. I haven't heard much about it to be honest, so I'm probably not the best to be the one having this discussion. So take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt and by all means do your own research on the topic.

Skylake-E is going to be the next Extreme Edition Processors from Intel after Broadwell-E (I think). Broadwell-E was essentially Haswell-E 2.0 Different architecture (22nm Haswell-E vs 14nm Broadwell-E), but same socket and same X99 Chipset. I think Skylake-E is supposed to be a new socket, new chipset, new everything, and should be much better than current Haswell-E and Broadwell-E CPU's. As far as release dates go, I've heard it should be early 2017 when it drops, but on some quick research on the interwebs, there has been speculation from anywhere in mid 2016 to late 2017, so its tough to really pin down exactly when its coming out.

What confuses me most about Skylake-E is that it sounds like it should run on the same architecture as Skylake does. However, Skylake and Broadwell-E both have the 14nm architecture already, so if skylake-E is supposed to have better and new technology, it stands to reason it wont be 14nm... and if its not 14nm, then why are they calling it skylake-E?

Its tough to find any concrete information on the subject based on my very limited google research though, its mostly hearsay and speculation. Due to this, its probably safe to say skylake-E is not coming out any time soon, and that you could probably go with X99 now if you want (or even Z170 if thats your thing). Its not like skylake-E could be so revolutionary that its going to make these options obsolete in any way.

@Zyndo yea i heard the same stuff was not sure if anyone else heard anything about it 

Arch2k

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if anyone is still watching this but i found the i7 6500k on sale for 310 

Arch2k

@Zyndo so i found a i7 6500k on sale for $310 and i think the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128942&ignorebbr=1 came out this week i am still trying to find out if this is true because its not showing on amazon right now and if it does its at a higher price anyway so thats what i got so far 

is this cpu just as good as we been talking with the other cpu's

Arch2k

I've never heard of a 6500k. certainly not an i7 6500k. the only 6500 I know of is the I5-6500

Well

51 minutes ago, Arch2k said:

@Zyndo so i found a i7 6500k on sale for $310 and i think the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128942&ignorebbr=1 came out this week i am still trying to find out if this is true because its not showing on amazon right now and if it does its at a higher price anyway so thats what i got so far 

is this cpu just as good as we been talking with the other cpu's

So what is it you're asking. from the sounds of it you're asking if the board is available right? that link you put in chat from newegg seems like its available and at a reasonable price. why not just buy it there?

@Zyndowell i was asking if that cpu is just as good as the ones we talk about if not better 

and about the board is that if i buy this cpu this thursday ill have to wait until next week or so for that board since i am not sub to newegg so yea lol kinda sucks i think ill ask my friend to get it for me since his sub to newegg 

i was thinking of RGB ram but its kinda hard to find good ones that run good speed i found this company called avier or something like that it seems like nice ram do you know anything about them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820011297

Arch2k

the i7-6700k is the best CPU you can buy on the consumer market today next to X99. its certainly the best gaming CPU you can get, and it will do a good job of rendering and video editing (although not quite as good as the X99 stuff). so yes, the 6700k is a great investment in any system.

I don't see the issue in waiting a week for a motherboard or shipping or whatever the wait is for. its just a week.

LED RAM is a bit rare, but Avexir is usually the name that pops up most people want such a thing. Corsair also unveiled LED Vengeance LPX at computex, but I've not heard any ETA or a release date for that. but RAM is RAM. it doesn't really matter who you buy it from or what features you want out of it. RAM will all perform the same, and they're all about as reliable. if you want to get that Avexir RAM, then go for it.

@Zyndo i think this whole new cpu's line up has got me confused since i havent been looking for a good that was best for my needs during the time of my first computer 

yea i was not sure of avexir since heard about it soo much the good and the bad but yea

more then likely ill go with everything i said only thing left over is the new asus 1070 rgb card i think 

and once i do get the board ill let u know since ur the one who gave it to me in the first place

Arch2k

Okay sounds good. feel free to upload pics when you get everything assembled too =)

@Zyndo the process has begun :) getting motherboard and ram this week coming up i already have the cpu

20160714_191003.jpg

20160714_213009.jpg

20160716_004901.jpg

Arch2k

On 23/06/2016 at 8:40 PM, Terranamics said:

true, that would be a huge waste of money

I disagree with this as there are some games such as Civ V that benefit from more than 4 cores and hyperthreading, and also the 5820k isn't much more expensive than Intel's quad core I7s.

Linus is my fetish.

@Zyndo 

it has happen now going to wait for evo ssd and ill be all set 

by the way thats the 1070

13653269_10153510246776910_3929944106318738759_o.jpg

13730854_10153517499041910_701705498515502740_o.jpg

13737632_10153519908106910_1431286941089031914_o.jpg

Arch2k

@Zyndo turns out as i went to put the cpu in the socket a few pins got bent but thank god the computer still turns on 
I have got some magnify glass to try to see if i can fix them

but other then that the board is pretty with the ram and gpu!!! like wow

Arch2k

Just now, Arch2k said:

@Zyndo turns out as i went to put the cpu in the socket a few pins got bent but thank god the computer still turns on 
I have got some magnify glass to try to see if i can fix them

but other then that the board is pretty with the ram and gpu!!! like wow

dear god how did you manage that? all you gotta do is gently lay it in there and close the socket clamp!

GL with the fix haha.

dont ask me man idk what happen funny thing is the pins that got bent are spread out not in one area so i dont know wat happen at all but heres the funny part the clamp it self was kinda tight 

I for one never had a tight clamp before on any motherboard and if it was tight then it wasnt very much compare to the other boards ive done 

i build many computers and this has happen to me :-/

I mean the computer turns on I see post message since i dont have windows installed yet so I am guessing everything is well 

for the pins that are bent they dont seem very bent just slight bent 
and not many of them are bent its like 3-4 

Arch2k

@Zyndo full build done just need to paint the case next but that will be in time i think the only next problem i found with the board or better yet the only one is the heatsink on the south bridge gets pretty hot but i think that has to do with bios update maybe only one bios out right now and i think its the same one they have on the website since its the same one 

think i should update bios anyway? to see if that fixes the problem

IMG_0920.JPG

Arch2k

How hot is "pretty hot"? I don't think a BIOS update is going to change that by much, if at all. And there is no sense in updating the BIOS if you already have the same BIOS running on your board.

Looks good though.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

How hot is "pretty hot"? I don't think a BIOS update is going to change that by much, if at all. And there is no sense in updating the BIOS if you already have the same BIOS running on your board.

Looks good though.

i kinda figure that 
yea its pretty hot i wouldnt say it hurts to touch it but its hot for sure @Zyndo

Arch2k

1 minute ago, Arch2k said:

i kinda figure that 
yea its pretty hot i wouldnt say it hurts to touch it but its hot for sure @Zyndo

Well computers will heat up alot just with how their designed. and the higher the performance, the hotter they get. If its not too hot to touch, then you're not even in the ballpark of needing to worry about it. Warm is fine. Its a heatsink, its one job in life is to ABSORB heat.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Well computers will heat up alot just with how their designed. and the higher the performance, the hotter they get. If its not too hot to touch, then you're not even in the ballpark of needing to worry about it. Warm is fine. Its a heatsink, its one job in life is to ABSORB heat.

yea in know but my older board never got that hot lol kinda crazy @Zyndo

Arch2k