DELL U2913WM for gaming, worried about input lag

A/C

DELL U2913WM is a wide-screen ips monitor with a reoslution of 2560 x 1080 which sounds good for gaming. If you're willing to go @60hz.  But it has a big drawback...

Since it's upgrade time i gave my 27" samsung "2ms" monitor for an older samsung t220 16:10 (bad lightbleed, bad colours, reasonably fast monitor). And now I'm searching for somethinng to be my gaming monitor, mainly fast-paced FPS so I like the idea of a wider viewing angle. The problem I face with this monitor is its pretty big input lag, with average 18ms in gaming mode, as seen on TFT Central: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm . I don't mind the resolution as 1080 height on a 27" TN was acceptable to me.

The GPU powering this would probbably be an AMD R9 290x.

What are your thoughts on this monitor, is the input lag oo much for good FPS games, mainly BF4. If there's something better for gaming I'd love your input, doesn't matter if it's not this ultra-wide rez. As long as it's 16:9 at least, and not too expensive (let's say top budget is 600$, but the better price/performance - the better, as I can spent the saved money on another components, maybe another SSD or a better GPU...). Would I be better off with a 27" 1440p 16:9 monitor, or something third?

TLDR: This monitor has minimum imput lag of 17ms, how bad is that? Is it good enough for online FPS? What is the best monitor for gaming under 600$?

Please read the attached review before posting if you're not an expert with monitors, or don't have higher than average experience. Noone wants a groundless and unfounded opinion when they ask a valid question. Thank you.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

If you want the high speed monitors for fps and a wide viewing angle you'd have to get surround tn 120hz monitors.

That being said i'd get a Asus PB278Q. (1440p 16:9)

EDIT: and i wouldn't say that input lag would be too bad tbh. Maybe not "Pro" level fps player type monitor but still good.

Tnx for the reply, could you elaborate exactly why the PB278Q would be your choice.

Looking the monitor up on the TFT Central reveals this monitor has avg input lag of 16.6ms, which puts it on par with the dell: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

17ms is bad, but as long as you have off post processing and vsync you prevent from even more input lag stacking 

17ms is bad, but as long as you have off post processing and vsync you prevent from even more input lag stacking 

Well, you say that, but you'd be surprised with the fact that one of the fastest gaming monitors on the market right now, the BenQ XL2428T with an ultra fast TN panel accually delivers avg of 13ms, with maximum of 14ms: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2420t.htm  :) One thing is what the manufacturers declare the response time to be, another is how they mesure it, for example the DELL form the first post is rated for 8ms like most DELL IPS monitors available. And then there's the way tft central measures it, which is be most accurate or "honest".

So basically this puts the difference of the ultra fast BenQ and the DELL I found only with 3ms.

Tnx for the reply, could you elaborate exactly why the PB278Q would be your choice.

Looking the monitor up on the TFT Central reveals this monitor has avg input lag of 16.6ms, which puts it on par with the dell: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm

I don't think you would notice the input lag to be honest. And i would go with the PB278Q because it's a Ips for one and it will have way better colours than any tn and it's 2560x1440, High enough res to cut back on AA so more fps.

it's cheaper than the dell (At least where i am) But then again if you want THE best monitor for fps then get a asus VG248QE 144hz is the best for fps. But if you play or do alot of any other genre of games or do and colour sensitive things then get the PB278Q.

I've had so much bad luck with the PB278Q it's unbelievable, dead pixels everywhere on 2 different monitors even though I was promised a dead pixel check. Either the store lied, they were damaged in the shipping or they were just too fragile. That being said, I'm going for Dell U2713HM as it has better build quality and Dell support is supposed to be amazing compared to Asus. Oh and you can apparently call straight to Dell customer service and ask for a discount from the monitor as the monitor goes on sale pretty often.

I don't think you would notice the input lag to be honest. And i would go with the PB278Q because it's a Ips for one and it will have way better colours than any tn and it's 2560x1440, High enough res to cut back on AA so more fps.

it's cheaper than the dell (At least where i am) But then again if you want THE best monitor for fps then get a asus VG248QE 144hz is the best for fps. But if you play or do alot of any other genre of games or do and colour sensitive things then get the PB278Q.

Well, the U2913WM is IPS as well, and I'm a bit far sighted so the resolution wouldn't help me as much as you'd think. And then there's the performance hit with higher resolutions as well... Also over here the PB278q is a bit more expensive... Why? - Beats me.

Originally I was thinking of going 3d with ASUS VG278HR, which I quite liked, but since I'm leaving nvidia for AMD that option is off the table.

Well, the U2913WM is IPS as well, and I'm a bit far sighted so the resolution wouldn't help me as much as you'd think. And then there's the performance hit with higher resolutions as well... Also over here the PB278q is a bit more expensive... Why? - Beats me.

Originally I was thinking of going 3d with ASUS VG278HR, which I quite liked, but since I'm leaving nvidia for AMD that option is off the table.

What graphics card are you running? I'd much rather get a higher res screen than a widescreen monitor.

I've saved 2.5K $$ for new cpu, mobo, ram, gpu, psu and monitor. Right now I'm using a 560ti Hawk card which delives 60fps in BF3 on ultra @ 1080p without AA.

I'm aiming for the R9 290x 4gig.

I've saved 2.5K $$ for new cpu, mobo, ram, gpu, psu and monitor. Right now I'm using a 560ti Hawk card which delives 60fps in BF3 on ultra @ 1080p without AA.

I'm aiming for the R9 290x 4gig.

A R-290X would be more than enough for 1440p if your worried about that.

I'm sure it will, but I don't tend to change the card for at least 2-3 years, so...

honestly I still can't see the value of a 29 inch monitor with this strange aspect ratio (21:9 ) I would rather get two U2412m...also yeah go with a 27" 1440p monitor rather than 29" the 27" with that resolution will look bigger and it may happen tha some games won't support 21:9 aspect ratio...

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

honestly I still can't see the value of a 29 inch monitor with this strange aspect ratio (21:9 ) I would rather get two U2412m...also yeah go with a 27" 1440p monitor rather than 29" the 27" with that resolution will look bigger and it may happen tha some games won't support 21:9 aspect ratio...

Thanks Tomislave, I'm buying this monitor to be used for battlefield 4 80% of the time, other 20% is for media, and other games. I don't really like the 16:10 aspect ratio as I'm using one right now on an older t220. I've been using a 27" 1920x1080 and it looked fine to me, the aspect ratio is better for fps, i can see more from the helicopter e.g. and can see more what's going on in my peripheral vision when doing infantry. Also I'd never go with 2xEyefinity because that would kill the gunpoint in the middle with the bezels.

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any 1440p 120hz monitors available? And which one is the best?

No problem bro! I see your point. I guess my standpoint isn't that of gamer. Still I've read an article a while that the less you have to turn your head in fps games the better, because it gives you better reaction times. That's why gamers don't choose extremely large monitors and tend to play on smaller screens (as opposed to TV's ). 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I have 3 Dell U2412M's and have no issues with input lag, just my 670 can't keep up with using all three at one time, with Ultra settings... Lol

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

After some extensive research I've decided to go with the ASUS VG278HR after all, it was my first choice.

It's a gaming-grade monitor for a reason.

Update: Yesterday I pulled the trigger and went for a VG278H for 400$, which is a great deal considering it was 800$ over here. I got it on the cheap on the basis it was the only one they ever ordered and never sold it because noone here buys that sort of thing. So they're looking to get rid of it. It should arrive tomorrow but as I'm going on a business trip I'll first get to play with it on saturday. Just in time to get some 3d movies and good games to play in 3d :)

Update: Yesterday I pulled the trigger and went for a VG278H for 400$, which is a great deal considering it was 800$ over here. I got it on the cheap on the basis it was the only one they ever ordered and never sold it because noone here buys that sort of thing. So they're looking to get rid of it. It should arrive tomorrow but as I'm going on a business trip I'll first get to play with it on saturday. Just in time to get some 3d movies and good games to play in 3d :)

Don't bother with 3D, play some games at 120hz, that is where the magic happens :D

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Don't bother with 3D, play some games at 120hz, that is where the magic happens :D

I'll let you know in 24 hrs :)

So I got the monitor, and overall quality of it is good. the colours are very good for a TN.

3D is meh for me, tried, Trine 2, Batman AC, and BF3 so far, meh...

Any help on what program to use best to play 3d videos from HDD (backups, ofc) :)