Dell's New Professional P Series AH-IPS Monitors

Geekazoid

Hey guys,

Just thought that I would get your thoughts on Dell's new Professional P series of monitors. I believe they're currently available in the US, UK and Australia and I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

The series ranges from 22" all the way up to 27", all having Full HD 1080P resolution (yes I know a 27" monitor should have a 2560 x 1440 resolution, but what can ya do).

The model numbers are as follows:

=> 22" - P2214H

=> 23" - P2314H

=> 24" - P2414H

=> 27" - P2714H

I initially was going to go for the Dell S2440L VA monitor but now it seems to be soon becoming discontinued, I guess in favour of these P series of monitors. If you want more info then just click this link here ==> http://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-p-series-revamped-with-14h-ips-models.

As I said I'm going to get the 23" model but before I do I want to wait until TFT Central does a review on one because they're very thorough in their testing.

What do you guys think, would you get one or not?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Too bad the 27" isn't 1440p since I am looking to buy the Dell U2713HM. Also like you said, I would hold off before TFT Central does their review on them.

Too bad the 27" isn't 1440p since I am looking to buy the Dell U2713HM. Also like you said, I would hold off before TFT Central does their review on them.

I know that 27" monitors with 1080P displays annoy some people but I personally wouldn't buy a 1080P 27" display. 23"-24" is fine for me and is the perfect balance.

TFT Central do great thorough reviews, they also provide the ICC profile for the monitor once they've calibrated it ( which is nice :) ). You probably already know this but I just believe they're the best reviewers available that give a non-bias review of monitors (not that I'm saying other pro reviewers are all bias).

That P2414H model seems to be a great deal for gaming and everyday use. Supposedly no PWM and input lag below 4ms according to =DEAD= in this article : http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/56259/Sledom_za_drugimi._Obzor_i_testirovanie_monitora_Dell_P2414H.html (use Google Translate) which would be great!

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Dell has had their professional series of monitors for quite some time now. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Their new revisions, I suppose he meant.

I like them, they're sort of an in-between to their consumer and Ultrasharp lines... Not designed with extra expense for graphics professionals (16:10, wide gamut, accurate calibration, and all that), but not using glossy panels, non-adjustable stands, and dismal port selection like the consumer S series.

These new displays are obviously going to be great for most people.

My current display setup consists of the following:

> HP w1907W

> HP 2311f

Both are TN panels and I plan on replacing the HP w1907 with the Dell P2314H. I initially had an LG 20" IPS but due to some screen discolouration issues I took it back and because I didn't think the store had any more of the LG IPS displays (or IPS displays in general) I exchanged the LG IPS monitor for the HP 2311f TN monitor (worst decision I ever made), so I'm hoping to buy the Dell P2314H to get a IPS display back and have the 23" HP monitor as the second display. I might say though that despite the HP 2311f being a TN display I have managed to get the colour somewhat acceptable but still not completely acceptable by my standards. Hopefully the Dell P2314H will change all that.

It's confirmed, Dell P2414H is PWM-free monitor

TFTCentral @TFTCentral 23h

Dell P2414H review update: good news, the backlight is flicker free and without use of PWM across the whole brightness adjustment range.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

I can't wait, the P2314H will go very nicely with my setup.

post-14986-0-70876400-1380715534.jpg

Yeah, very nice looking monitor!

Yeah, very nice looking monitor!

Definitely is. I was so close to purchasing the ASUS MX239H, which I know is also a nice display, but that same day I chatted with a Dell Australia representative and ask her about the availability of these monitors and she confirmed that they were indeed available. So I decided I would go with one of these new Dell monitors, however before I do I'm waiting on TFT Centrals's Simon Baker to do a review of one of these monitors since his reviews are so thorough. So once he posts his review of the monitor I may well just go ahead and make my purchase. I do prefer Dell monitors.

Well it can be said that I am in a pretty much same situatuion :) Waiting for TFT's review on this one (hope that will be soon). Particularly interested in games performanse(!).

I have problems with PWM and I think that this is the first monitor 24''(23.8'') 16:9 PWM-free in some fair price segment.

A few days ago been watching Dell S2340L and it's the best monitor I've ever seen in terms in picture quality and clarity but every brightness value below 100 gave me immediate soft headache and eye strain...Such a shame...

If this one fails in games I'm maybe going on Asus VS247H and that's it.

Hoping to have the Dell P2414H review completed within the next couple of days. Then on to test the BenQ BL2710PT next!

I might need to buy one.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I have ordered this monitor, it will arrive in a few days. Ill report back then :P

I've had a change of mind (which kind of makes what I initially said pointless). I've decided that I'm going to go with the ASUS MX239H because of two reasons:

1. I found out that the Dell P series doesn't let you turn of pixel overdrive permanently and that kind of annoys me a tad. I don't care if a monitor has even a 20ms response time, the ghosting doesn't bother me at all. The MX239H allows you to permently disable the pixel overdrive (or whatever it's called) completely and permanently.

2. The ASUS MX239H will better match my setup.

The second reason may seem a tad stupid but...meh!

Don't get me wrong I think the new Dell monitors are great, however I just prefer to go with the ASUS.

You will not go wrong with MX239H in terms of monitor look, I had a chance to work on that monitor, super sexy and slick (be avare of backlight bleeding though, it's more than in the other models due the thickness of the panel) also In my opinion price is too high because you will pay ridiculous extra for freakin' MONITOR SPEAKERS and I'm fairly sure that you don't need them (you have external speakers setup right?).

You will not go wrong with MX239H in terms of monitor look, I had a chance to work on that monitor, super sexy and slick (be avare of backlight bleeding though, it's more than in the other models due the thickness of the panel) also In my opinion price is too high because you will pay ridiculous extra for freakin' MONITOR SPEAKERS and I'm fairly sure that you don't need them (you have external speakers setup right?).

This backlight bleed you speak of, is it really that noticable? I know several users spoke of it and some have shown in via Youtube but I figured that was just the camera exaggerating it more so and making more pronounced than it actually is. I have owned an LG IPS, which I spoke of above. I noticed that the whole screen when looking a fair way back and to the left or right that the screen had a kind if rainbow look about it. If that's what your talking about that doesn't bother me. But I will take your comment into consideration. Thanks for the the caution.

The LG IPS Monitor I had looked like this:

Model Number: IPS206T-PN

post-14986-0-35786100-1380877431.jpg

Just depends on your personal preference, perception of colors and life itself ( :) ). Back then when I used that monitor on every lighter background/wallpaper it wasn't noticable of course, in movies and darker games HELL YES. To be honest, on first you kinda don't notice that effect of backlight bleed but the more you look at it the more is striking to your eyes, when you expect dark to be dark, well it is NOT! because on the lower corners you have a lot of light coming out.

Don't take this for granted, just as a precaution. Not every model is the same but some series are worse that others in that field...

Looks great but 27" 1080p? pass

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Just depends on your personal preference, perception of colors and life itself ( :) ). Back then when I used that monitor on every lighter background/wallpaper it wasn't noticable of course, in movies and darker games HELL YES. To be honest, on first you kinda don't notice that effect of backlight bleed but the more you look at it the more is striking to your eyes, when you expect dark to be dark, well it is NOT! because on the lower corners you have a lot of light coming out.

Don't take this for granted, just as a precaution. Not every model is the same but some series are worse that others in that field...

Okay, thanks mate for the precaution.

Are you saying that the thicker the IPS monitor the less problematic backlight bleed is?

Just got some question for if you've had this monitor.

1. Does the backlight bleed present discolouration on the display itself (like I had with the LG)?

2. Are colour gradients decently smooth on the MX239H?

That's about it.

1. Technically YES but really depends which background is on in that moment

2. Yeah, they are smooth enough for most eyes out there

As for thickness...I do believe so, yes. On LG IPS237L-BN I've encountered similar problems a few days ago... So far, Dell seems to have the best panel luminance uniformity (later revisions) but they have other potentially big problems such as pretty thick coating (grainy effect on white backgrounds visible), Overdrive implementation not well designed (practiculary model U2412M), PWM frequency too low, very big maximum brightness of 300cd/m2 (in RL about 350cd/m2) so if you have PWM problems that you're f*cked because either you will go max brightness (go blind) or suffer from PWM (eye strain, headaches etc.).

Because all of that I'm waiting to see a TFTCentral's review of a P2414H...

I have ordered this monitor, it will arrive in a few days. Ill report back then :P

Please give us a review when arrives. :)

I'm not much of an expect but here we go. 
So ill say this first. I don't know a way to test the quality exactly I'm young and not very well informed. The viewing angles are really good it's an ISP panel after all. Tested in some videos and games it looks super good. High def photos and colours look amazing. Contrast is really good too. Again sorry but I don't know how to describe or review anything. I will be getting a DVI cable, got the monitor just a few h ago, sorry for the VGA one.
First the packaging, it came in a dell cardboard box, packed in some more cardboard. 

pOKjYmo.jpg

YZHsA4A.jpg

So the assembly was pretty easy. It was the screen it self and the stand. Lock in the stand and you are done.
Here you can see the outputs as well. From right to left . Three USB(think 2.0), different square USB, VGA, DVI, Display port and power.

You get these cables inside the box: VGA, DP , square USB AND THATS ALL. Was kinda disappointed no DVI.

n9iv35K.jpg

DELL_UltraSharp_U2312HM_33.jpg

It came with a long power cord about 2 meters. It also had some papers and CD from dell. 

Also you get a plastic cover over the ports so you can hide your cables.

AWnjIcH.jpg
Here are some more pics of it in its horizontal and vertical position also a picture of the stand. The stand is really really well built its super sturdy and has some heft to it. Has rubber on the bottom of it so it sticks pretty good. I can't move it,so sticky i have to pick it up :D
And the picture of the menu really easy to navigate and a lot of options.
So here are the pics
gopDoh8.jpg6UCdVYy.jpg8umSwwb.jpgZ5vxrS1.jpg