US government shuts down after Congress fails to pass funding bill

CyberneticTitan

As an Independent, I'm mad at both parties. At republicans for going too far this time, and at Obama and his cohorts not really trying to work with them and just saying "it's the republican's fault" every darn time throughout the years so he can cover his arse when something is about to happen or might make him look bad. It's really sad when all he does is cop out most of the time instead of saying "lets work this out." These are the two main things that piss me off about our supreme rulers right now.

I sure love having a bunch of gradeschool drama running amuck in our government. 

I don't think obama is the problem, senate/congress are the ones that won't take paycuts and continue to raise their salaries lol :/

We had these problems before obama was elected, senate/congress don't really give a shit about the country they just want to make sure they stay in office for 12341234 years and get fatter pockets :(

Not saying he's helping any, but things were already horrible before he got there

Sad thing is if you read the list of paycuts/ layoffs/ closed branches of govt, it's all people in low/ mid class, the people that actually work LOL.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Funny how the US still holds it AAA rating from almost all of the (US bound) rating agencies ...

It depends on who's rating us. Moody's has reaffirmed AAA status, but the Standard & Poor (which is the one that really matters) only revised the outlook to "stable" from "negative". They did not upgrade the credit rating of the U.S.

Source: The Washington Post

Time for a 3rd party to get big, even if it takes a decade.

3rd parties that get big only take away votes from the "main" political party that the 3rd party voters have the most in common with. Voting for a 3rd party is often a vote against your best interests in such a strongly dual-party system. I recommend this video on the Alternative Vote, which would help resolve this problem if implemented.

As far as the debt limit goes, raising the debt limit will most likely be done in the end. This video is a good explanation of the debt limit.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Don't really understand what is going on here or what it means..........

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

What the hell.. so they can't decide on what to do so they're just.. not bothering. At all. With anything.

My mind is well and truly blown.

It depends on who's rating us. Moody's has reaffirmed AAA status, but the Standard & Poor (which is the one that really matters) only revised the outlook to "stable" from "negative". They did not upgrade the credit rating of the U.S.

Source: The Washington Post

The funny thing is, that if it was any other country they would have a far worse rating, but the us americans (or at least the government/banks) like to lie to the people and still claim that imaginary AAA rating :)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I'm not much into politics... What exactly does this mean?

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

a great role model eh?  if you don't get what you want to blame the other guys

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

not a big deal. happened here in minnesota. helped reduce the defect.

from Minnesota as well yeah !! 

this happened in 1995 guys it will probably take a week and then one of the parties will change stances

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Hue hue hue. Meet me in Canada guys! :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Truly astonishing. The Republicans would rather put nearly 2 million people out of work than give the very poorest in America the opportunity to have access to proper, affordable healthcare. If only there hadn't been such gerrymandering at the last election, then the Democrats would have had control of both houses (as they deserved) and this wouldn't have happened. One can only hope this wakes up the less radical of the right-wing electorate in America and destroys the Republicans hopes in the next elections.

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Truly astonishing. The Republicans would rather put nearly 2 million people out of work than give the very poorest in America the opportunity to have access to proper, affordable healthcare. If only there hadn't been such gerrymandering at the last election, then the Democrats would have had control of both houses (as they deserved) and this wouldn't have happened. One can only hope this wakes up the less radical of the right-wing electorate in America and destroys the Republicans hopes in the next elections.

It isn't proper affordable healthcare, it's an unconstitutional act of forcing something on the American citizen. You'd have much better luck getting private insurance. Also, insurance doesn't equate the healthcare, the two are not even related. The amount of hardcore left leaning in that post...BOTH parties are guilty for the mess we're in. The Democrats are just as much to blame for the decline of our nation as the Republicans are. Free your mind and look at the entire  picture instead of jumping on the hate Republican bandwagon. As it stands, this has to be the worst political situation our country has been in years and the Democratic president racked up more debt than the terrible Republican one he replaced.

Obama isn't some hero helping the poor, he's making the middle class poorer and the poor even more worst off! All while DC is allowed to fatten their pockets from gullible Americans believing their lies.

It isn't proper affordable healthcare, it's an unconstitutional act of forcing something on the American citizen. You'd have much better luck getting private insurance. Also, insurance doesn't equate the healthcare, the two are not even related. The amount of hardcore left leaning in that post...BOTH parties are guilty for the mess we're in. The Democrats are just as much to blame for the decline of our nation as the Republicans are. Free your mind and look at the entire  picture instead of jumping on the hate Republican bandwagon. As it stands, this has to be the worst political situation our country has been in years and the Democratic president racked up more debt than the terrible Republican one he replaced.

Obama isn't some hero helping the poor, he's making the middle class poorer and the poor even more worst off! All while DC is allowed to fatten their pockets from gullible Americans believing their lies.

Sounds like someone listens a bit too closely to Fox News ;)

You live in just about the most hardcore, right-wing, bible-bashing state in America. I don't live in America and never have. Which of the two of us do you think is more able to look at this free of bias? 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Sounds like someone listens a bit too closely to Fox News ;)

You live in just about the most hardcore, right-wing, bible-bashing state in America. I don't live in America and never have. Which of the two of us do you think is more able to look at this free of bias? 

I'm an independent person who despises Fox news and the other corrupt media that spews out distractions that passes off as real news. You might want to check your implying at the door. Bush was terrible and Obama even more so. Both did the exact same thing and that is lie to the American citizens whilst racking debt and keeping us at war.

I don't live in America and never have.

Exactly, you aren't feeling what an American feels living in this country that is exposed to this circus 24/7.

HA i live in holland :P

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I'm an independent person who despises Fox news and the other corrupt media that spews out distracts that passes off as real news. You might want to check your implying at the door. Bush was terrible and Obama even more so. Both did the exact same thing and that is lie to the American citizens whilst racking debt and keeping us at war.

I don't live in America and never have.

Exactly, you aren't feeling what an American feels living in this country that is exposed to this circus 24/7.

So you just hate all Politicians, even if they try and overturn the insane way that American healthcare works?

You do realise the fact that I am removed from the situation is what allows me to analyse it dispassionately and without bias?

HA i live in holland :P

I love all of The Netherlands, but Holland was definitely my favourite part :D

I love all of The Netherlands, but Holland was definitely my favourite part :D

have you tried our weed?? 

-Adolf Hitler 

So you just hate all Politicians, even if they try and overturn the insane way that American healthcare works?

You do realise the fact that I am removed from the situation is what allows me to analyse it dispassionately and without bias?

Someone needs to read some history. The government that this country was founded upon is a constitutional republic. The first president of the United States was against the two party system because it leads to people fighting against each other instead of being united. Oh hey, Washington called it. Look at this mess with the two political parties. -- The American healthcare system /is/ broken and does need a complete overhaul, the way Obama went about it was just messy and not effective. If anything, the increased overhead made people earn less from cut hours or worse, let go completely because their employer couldn't handle all the extra expenses.

No, it means you can see this through rose coloured glasses without actually living in the environment you're critiquing.

have you tried our weed?? 

No, but I love the fact that people aren't thrown in prison for years and institutionalised into becoming hardened criminals for smoking a little cannabis. 

Someone needs to read some history. The government that this country was founded upon is a constitutional republic. The first president of the United States was against the two party system because it leads to people fighting against each other instead of being united. Oh hey, Washington called it. Look at this mess with the two political parties.

No, it means you can see this through rose coloured glasses without actually living in the environment you're critiquing.

What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

And no. The fact that I am removed from the environment allows me to comment without being corrupted by left or right wing propaganda being distributed within the media. 

What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

And no. The fact that I am removed from the environment allows me to comment without being corrupted by left or right wing propaganda being distributed within the media. 

guys remember no flaming wars :P 

-Adolf Hitler 

guys remember no flaming wars :P

I wouldn't call it a flame war so much as correcting misinformation. Besides, I think as an American personally effected by the situation, I am considerably a lot more reliable source of how things are going in this country than someone who never even been to it.

Does that mean the dollar comes down? -alright time to order some shizzle overseas. Man i wish it was duty free already! :D

who cares...

Fun fact: An up or down vote in Congress would guarantee the government shutdown would end immediately. There are enough votes in Congress to keep the government open right now. Everyone could go back to work, and the US government would not risk a catastrophic default on the national debt in two weeks.

Only problem is, that vote won't happen because the Speaker of the House, John Boehner, refuses to consider it. He can cause almost a million people to lose their jobs and can cause god-only-knows levels of economic harm to America. He can do this because of the 'Hastert Rule', in which the party that controls Congress sets the entire agenda. Thus a 'majority of the majority' - roughly 30-40 people in Congress, can destroy the entire American economy if they wanted to, which is exactly what has just begun. The only catch is because their congressional districts are heavily gerrymandered, they are unlikely to be voted out of office. The combination of gerrymandering, the 'Hastert Rule', and the low-risk for Congressmen can do much more damage to this country than Al Qaeda or Saddam Hussein ever could. 

Oh, and the government funding bill that is rejected by Congress (but really John Boehner) would only fund government for 2 months. Then this would all happen over again, and again, and again. The first time he would be able to cancel Healthcare Reform. But what about in 2 months? The EPA maybe? If this kind of manipulation of the American budget process becomes acceptable, what isn't on the table? What kind of future does that mean?

The debt ceiling, which comes up on October 17th, can wreck incredible devastation on the economy. If Congress does not pay the bills for the spending Congress has authorized, then America will default on its debts. That means interest rates will rise. Your student loans, your mortgage, these are about to cost a lot more money. But it gets worse.THE AMERICAN DOLLAR IS THE RESERVE CURRENCY OF THE WORLD. A default on the National Debt could, and most likely would, lead to a global recession worse than 2008. And if other governments shift to another reserve currency, as would be their right, then it only gets worse for Americans. 

Why are we even talking about this? Who in their right mind would hurt America like that? The answer is in Congress. Right now, John Boehner will not allow Congress to vote on an increase in the debt ceiling unless:

1) The Keystone pipeline is built

2) The Environmental Protection Agency stops regulating carbon

3) Delay Healthcare Reform

4) Adopt the Mitt Romney budget 

5) Means Test Medicare

6) Tort Reform

7) End the Citizens Financial Protection Bureau 

...and much more. Do it, or else America enters a massive recession and loses its place as a great nation. And remember - this only lasts for one year. Next year, there will be a whole bunch more demands. You may agree with some of these proposals on their own merit, but do you believe blackmail is an appropriate way to pass them?

There is no American government, at least the kind that we recognize, in the future if this becomes normal. An election is a formality - a dedicated minority of Congressmen can do anything they want, and can avoid losing elections by redrawing their districts. Remember - more than 1 million people voted for Democratic representation in the House in 2012 while electing President Obama and a Democratic Senate. But that didn't matter because the House is so heavily gerrymandered that Republicans are safe, and from that perch can threaten the solvency of the country they pretend to love. 

This isn't about Republicans versus Democrats. If it makes you feel better, pretend it is President Ronald Reagan dealing with Nancy Pelosi, and she is threatening a financial catastrophe unless Reagan taxes the wealthiest Americans at 90% and redistributes their wealth to the International Association of Tree Huggers.The point is, our system of government is now structured in a way such that this kind of lunacy is possible. 

It doesn't matter if you are Republican or Democrat. You can support health care reform or thing it is a bad idea/implementation. That is beside the point. The fact that this much damage can be caused shows that our government is broken structurally. This isn't as simple as voting people out. We have to change the structure itself. For example, this can all be prevented under these reforms to the way Congress functions:

1)If the 'Hastert Rule' is thrown out. That way, it is an open up-or-down vote for legislation in Congress, period. No one person can prevent a vote.

2) If Congress refuses to pass a budget or raise the debt ceiling, then they are all automatically fired and new elections are held. Period.

3) If the lines that divide congressional districts are drawn by an independent, non-partisan 3rd party commission to prevent political bias from entering the process. 

Yeah, those 3 things are probably enough to fix it. There is much more that can be done, but those three (which are fair and non-partisan) would go a long way to fixing the mess we are in. We can't vote away this problem. We have to deal with the fact that our national dysfunction is structural. The script is written no matter who we elect to act out the parts. 

Whether you are a Republican or a Democrat, now is the time to be an American first and stop this kind of exploitation and blackmail by Congress.