Expect iPhone 7 w/ Similar design and removed headphone jack this fall, Major changes next year for the 10th year Anniversary

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/21/wsj-iphone-7-report/

The Wall Street Journal is the latest to report on Apple’s expected plans for the iPhone 7, describing a situation where the iPhone 7 closely resembles the iPhone 6s minus the headphone jack. WSJ reports that this will result in a thinner design that’s more water-resistant than current models.

But the report also believes the 2017 iPhone will be dramatically different, featuring an OLED display like the Apple Watch and embedding the Touch ID sensor in the display while losing the Home button…

For years, Apple Chief Design Officer Jony Ive has expressed a desire for the iPhone to appear like a single sheet of glass, according to people familiar with the matter. The current design ideas for the 2017 iPhones are expected to push the handsets in that direction by eliminating much of the bezel around the display, with the OLED screen.

The iPhone 7 is also expected to have cleaner design with regards to the antenna bands and potentially a new colour option. Camera upgrades are said to be the biggest selling point for this year's iPhone with the 5.5" having a dual lens system. Also the new storage configuration is rumored to be 32GB,128GB & 256GB

I guess I understand that they might actually have been focusing on 10th Anniversary iPhone for a this year. Regardless, even though most of the new smartphones don't have anything special in particular, only being usual spec bump Apple's surely going to get bad press when the iPhone 7 launches even if the camera turns out great

Note: Apple isn't getting rid of the jack to make the device thinner. They themselves have products namely the iPod and iPad which are almost about a whole millimeter thinner despite having the headphone jack

And they've removed the 3.5mm jack... why, again?

Just make the phone a bit thicker with the audio jack and more battery, for Christ's sake. Making it thinner doesn't add any functionality or usefulness.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Just make the phone a bit thicker with the audio jack and more battery, for Christ's sake. Making it thinner doesn't add any functionality or usefulness.

Headphone jack probably is the oldest tech in a smartphone and it needs to go away IMO. And Apple is probably the best at abandoning old tech and moving the industry forward.

With the headphone jack removed there is actually a potential of squeezing in a bigger battery, so maybe it isnt probably that bad

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Make you buy their new bluetooth headphones and adapters and wired lighting headphones = more money

ok there are rumours that apple is still gonna keep the headphone jack, and i'm going by those. but i will still be pissed if they remove it. i will also be livid if they remove space grey and replace it with deep blue. space grey is the only iphone color that i love. every other color other than gold is shit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Headphone jack probably is the oldest tech in a smartphone and it needs to go away IMO. And Apple is probably the best at abandoning old tech and moving the industry forward.

With the headphone jack removed there is actually a potential of squeezing in a bigger battery, so maybe it isnt probably that bad

I agree with moving the industry forward and all, but so many devices use that jack that it seems ludicrous to get rid of it. After all, just because it's old doesn't mean it has to be done away with.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ok there are rumours that apple is still gonna keep the headphone jack, and i'm going by those. but i will still be pissed if they remove it. i will also be livid if they remove space grey and replace it with deep blue. space grey is the only iphone color that i love. every other color other than gold is shit.

I would actually like to believe otherwise, they dropped floppy disks, CD Drives, 30-pin port, SIM down to nano SIM and even starting to drop general ports for Type-C so headphone jack wouldn't be surprising especially when you consider how much of precious space it occupies

7 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I agree with moving the industry forward and all, but so many devices use that jack that it seems ludicrous to get rid of it. After all, just because it's old doesn't mean it has to be done away with.

Well there needs to be a start somewhere, its either there or not. We can't slowly transition it from being there to not being there. And since it's Apple, others will likely follow withing 1-2 years and by then all major headphone companies will have a plethora of wireless solutions for the market

I don't understand this mindset that there is some kind of space premium in these phones, there really isn't.  They don't need to be thinner, everyone I have ever talked to in person wants thicker/bigger battery.  And getting rid of the headphone jack is 100% a money grab.  They want to force you to buy all new stuff.  There is absolutely no need to do it.  I mean, buttons are old tech, lets get rid of those and only use gestures, or how about only allowing voice controls?!  Old doesn't mean bad simply because its old.  Sometimes we found a good way to do something, and we still use it because we haven't found a way to improve it in any meaningful way.

24 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Why? Old doesn't always mean bad. I'm normally not against Apple on a ton of stuff, but this seems like change for sake of change, with no logic behind it.

It's old, but not obsolete. 

Removing the headphone jack doesn't make sense. It won't allow you to fit a bigger  battery because LIPO cells are rectangle. They can't just make the battery fill the corner where the jack used to be. Wireless audio such as Bluetooth is absolute garbage. Even non-audiophiles can easily tell the difference. Wireless headphones also have another battery that will require charging. 

`

18 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

I don't understand this mindset that there is some kind of space premium in these phones, there really isn't.  They don't need to be thinner, everyone I have ever talked to in person wants thicker/bigger battery.  And getting rid of the headphone jack is 100% a money grab.  They want to force you to buy all new stuff.  There is absolutely no need to do it.  I mean, buttons are old tech, lets get rid of those and only use gestures, or how about only allowing voice controls?!  Old doesn't mean bad simply because its old.  Sometimes we found a good way to do something, and we still use it because we haven't found a way to improve it in any meaningful way.

Thinner, I agree with you. Getting rid of headphone jack, nope. This is pretty much the exact same reaction when they got rid of CDs, floppies, 30-pin connector, and non-type c ports now. 

3.5mm jack have served us all well, but the fact that it's still analog and takes up tonnes amount of precious space in a smartphone is what makes it old tech. Apple experimented with 2.5mm jack last year, but they gave up on it due to its problems. The final solution, proceed and make it wireless accessory. It may not be the ideal solution now, but it will become in fact accelerated and become a viable solution within 2 years time where we could actually get decent wireless buds for not so much. Anyone who wants pro grade sound level can opt for lightning headphones for better than ever sound fidelity.

The industry needs to move on and there is no other way to other than to abandon it and annoy users for a little while before people get used to it. Again Apple has some experiance in the past as they're notorious for getting rid of legacy tech

4 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

Removing the headphone jack doesn't make sense. It won't allow you to fit a bigger  battery because LIPO cells are rectangle. They can't just make the battery fill the corner where the jack used to be. Wireless audio such as Bluetooth is absolute garbage. Even non-audiophiles can easily tell the difference. Wireless headphones also have another battery that will require charging. 

ok, maybe they could use the space for something else, i dunno it depends as they're not going to leave an empty corner anyway.

I dont know what kind of wireless headphones you've tried but the ones I've used have all been pretty awesome. Granted they're not the cheapest thing in thing as a 5$ buds but it will eventually get cheaper if the iPhone 7 drops it, increasing demand

Yes they will require charging, but given good buds these days last about 4-8 hours, I personally don't mind and if you do find it cumbersome you can always use to lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter, which is reportedly going to be bundled with earpods

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Why? Old doesn't always mean bad. I'm normally not against Apple on a ton of stuff, but this seems like change for sake of change, with no logic behind it.

It's old, but not obsolete. 

10 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Getting rid of headphone jack, nope. This is pretty much the exact same reaction when they got rid of CDs, floppies, 30-pin connector, and non-type c ports now. 

3.5mm jack have served us all well, but the fact that it's still analog and takes up tonnes amount of precious space in a smartphone is what makes it old tech. Apple experimented with 2.5mm jack last year, but they gave up on it due to its problems. The final solution, proceed and make it wireless accessory. It may not be the ideal solution now, but it will become in fact accelerated and become a viable solution within 2 years time where we could actually get decent wireless buds for not so much. Anyone who wants pro grade sound level can opt for lightning headphones for better than ever sound fidelity.

The industry needs to move on and there is no other way to other than to abandon it and annoy users for a little while before people get used to it. Again Apple has some experiance in the past as they're notorious for getting rid of legacy tech

Hmm, while they're at it: get rid of Lightning and move the entire industry to USB-C. That way it actually makes some kind of sense; otherwise we'll end up with the 3.5mm problem we have now: buy the Apple compatible accessory or the everyone else accessory. 

But who are we kidding here: Lightning accessories all around. Yay. 

as if motorola crapping the bad wasn't enough, Apple must join the "thin is better" retarded band wagon

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Hmm, while they're at it: get rid of Lightning and move the entire industry to USB-C. That way it actually makes some kind of sense; otherwise we'll end up with the 3.5mm problem we have now: buy the Apple compatible accessory or the everyone else accessory. 

But who are we kidding here: Lightning accessories all around. Yay. 

I actually think they are going to eventually. They helped develop Type-C and they're probably going to fully drop magsafe (no matter how much I hate it)  with Macbooks refresh later this year.

Also if I recall correctly, EU had said they had to move to a standard charging port like MicroUSB by 2018 or something. They're probably planning that with anniversary iPhone.

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

as if motorola crapping the bad wasn't enough, Apple must join the "thin is better" retarded band wagon

It's Apple. If anyone is going to be successful in getting rid of a widely adopted standard , it's going to be Apple

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Thinner, I agree. Getting rid of headphone jack, nope. This is pretty much the exact same reaction when they got rid of CDs, floppies, 30-pin connector, and non-type c ports now. 

3.5mm jack have served as all well, but the fact that it's still analog and takes up tonnes amount of precious space in a smartphone is what makes it old tech. Apple experimented with 2.5mm jack last year, but they gave up on it due to its problems. The final solution, proceed and make it wireless accessory. It may not be the ideal solution now, but it will become in fact accelerated and become a viable solution within 2 years time where we could actually get decent wireless buds for not so much. Anyone who wants pro grade sound level can opt for lightning headphones for better than ever sound fidelity.

In everyday usage nobody will ever notice the sound quality difference between the good ol' 3.5mm jack or a digital connection. That solely depends on headphone quality, DAC quality and audio source quality, which, quite frankly, is mostly CD rips, YouTube downloads or low quality torrented stuff. No space on iPhones that allows uncompressed high-bitrate audio (unless you take the 128GB version which costs an arm and a leg). That, and the fact that every single audio device capable of outputting audio has a 3.5mm jack, not just phones. Computers, home stereo, not to mention the millions of headphones going around with the thing. Given the fact that Apple doesn't plan on using a USB-C connector any time soon on their phones they'll force people onto Lightning headphones which will only divide the market in a bad way for consumers.

Apple doesn't want the 3.5mm jack so their devices can be even thinner, even though that's completely unnecessary and useless. Wireless headphones? Not until there's no way for interference to mess with audio quality and also not until the batteries in the things last at least 2 or 3 full days. And I'm not planning on doing away with my perfectly fine Sennheiser Momentum anytime soon either. 

Demand for the next iPhone based on the current rumors is already way lower than what Apple wants, and their last quarter wasn't exactly good. Usually there's some hype for the next model. Right now, there is none. Not even a fancy dual camera system (which apparently is only going to be available on the 5.5" model, which is basically a fuck-you to people with either smaller hands or no interest whatsoever in a massive phone) will get people to buy the thing if there isn't a way to connect their headphones to. Clunky adapters won't help either. If they want to keep customers, they'll have to stick with industry standards and actually do what people want (no fugly camera bump, larger battery, no shitty 16GB base model). If they want to lose even more customers to the Android camp, sure, continue on with your stupid desire to make the damn thing even thinner, eliminating industry standards along the way. That'll help them. /s

45 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

It's Apple. If anyone is going to be successful in getting rid of a widely adopted standard , it's going to be Apple

Not with the 3.5mm jack. That can only be done by every single audio equipment producing company in the world going to a new industry standard at once. Everyone. Headphone makers, home stereo makers, amp makers, PC case makers, everybody. Not going to happen anytime soon.

Ye ole' train

20 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

You didn't respond with anything relevant. When replacing an existing tech, you need to come forward with a superior alternative. They have not done so yet. That's how this differs from CDs.

They aren't replacing it because it's obsolete. It isn't. It's old, but no suitable replacement has risen yet. They're replacing it to make the phone thinner, despite the obvious disadvantage that it brings.

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I actually think they are going to eventually. They helped develop Type-C and they're probably going to fully drop magsafe (no matter how much I hate it)  with Macbooks refresh later this year.

Also if I recall correctly, EU had said they had to move to a standard charging port like MicroUSB by 2018 or something. They're probably planning that with anniversary iPhone.

They'll probably postpone it indefinitely because they can't agree on a standard. If I recall correctly we were originally supposed to have the legislation in place by now. 

Magsafe is both a blessing and a curse. It's nice most of the time but it's annoying when you try to move your laptop a bit and the cable gets unplugged. And yeah, they'll probably get rid of it eventually to reduce the footprint of ports on devices. Maybe they can make an adapter to get the best of both worlds. Currently you can buy magnetic adapters for phones, so barring any issues, it should be possible. 

If they are to transition to USB-C on iDevices, there is no good time to do it. They'll piss off customers regardless of when/if they do it. So sooner rather than later would be good so the industry can get started. 

58 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Old does not mean bad. Can you give some examples of how removing the headphone jack will benefit consumers? 

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

In everyday usage nobody will ever notice the sound quality difference between the good ol' 3.5mm jack or a digital connection. That solely depends on headphone quality and audio source quality, which, quite frankly, is mostly CD rips, YouTube downloads or low quality torrented stuff. No space on iPhones that allow uncompressed high-bitrate audio (unless you take the 128GB version which costs an arm and a leg). That, and the fact that every single audio device capable of outputting audio has a 3.5mm jack, not just phones. Computers, home stereo, not to mention the millions of headphones going around with the thing. Given the fact that Apple doesn't plan on using a USB-C connector any time soon on their phones they'll force people onto Lightning headphones which will only divide the market in a bad way for consumers.

I was specifically talking about enthusiasts, who does want to hear every beat individually at all times. Plus next year's iPhones are going to come with 128GB and 256GB for the same prices. IMO if I was suggesting someone I definitely wouldn't ask them to get 32GB. 32GB is probably going to be the new 16GB

They're repotedly going to include adapters to its going to make your old headphones entirely useless. Yes everything has it, but the change needs to start somewhere and it's logical to start from the place where its the most useful to get rid off.

Chargers have been divided between lightning and MicroUSB for a long time and there really doesn't seem to be a big problem.

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Apple doesn't want the 3.5mm jack so their devices can be even thinner, even though that's completely unnecessary and useless. Wireless headphones? Not until there's no way for interference to mess with audio quality and also not until the batteries in the things last at least 2 or 3 full days. And I'm not planning on doing away with my perfectly fine Sennheiser Momentums anytime soon either. 

Demand for the next iPhone based on the current rumors is already way lower than Apple wants, and their last quarter wasn't exactly good. If they want to keep customers, they'll have to stick with industry standards and actually do what people want (no fugly camera bump, larger battery, no shitty 16GB base model). If they want to lose even more customers to the Android camp, sure, continue on with your stupid desire to make the damn thing even thinner, eliminating industry standards along the way. That'll help them. /s

Not with the 3.5mm jack. That can only be done by every single audio equipment producing company in the world going to a new industry standard at once. Everyone. Headphone makers, home stereo makers, amp makers, PC case makers, everybody. Not going to happen anytime soon.

I've never had interference issues with mine. Battery will improve in headphones with more efficient drivers and chips. Note, that currently we do get 4-8 hours of music playback which is pretty decent.

Please stop with dwindling sales. It still sells a whole lot more than other phones. The market now is pretty saturated and I don't think even next year's iPhone can get back that Apple-esq exponential growth year on year

Again, Bluetooth is the future which is a standard, not lightning. For a while maybe with adapters, but eventually bluetooth

I saw some video, where someone went asking headphone companies about Apple's plan to ditch 3.5mm and jack and the response was that all of them were ready for it. Again, it's apple, it doesnt take a whole lot for an headphone company to add some bluetooth and lighning version of their headphones with the current linuep