I did it. I finally upgraded to Windows 10. What was your upgrade experience like?

handymanshandle

I had 0 issues with all of my updates from Windows 7 and 8.1 but I do have 1 VM that refuses to update from Windows 7 to 10, it's sad but I guess I can live with it.

-KuJoe

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I use a MS account only because I use One Drive as I use the University version of Office. I have gone through the settings and installed Spybot Anti Beacon. Periodically I rerun the scan to check for new telemetry that needs to be blocked. I mean Google has a lot of info on me anyway. I just to like my stuff being marketed to Advertisers. Which is why I use Ad Blocker, which is white listed on this site and only on this site as I dont mind ads from New Egg, LOL. xD

My school uses Google Drive and other Google services mostly, Google knows where I live and where I go to school. Which is sort of creepy but it doesn't bug me too much. Have no real reason to use an MSA other than if I wanted to use my Xbox 360 or use the store in Windows. Which I was rather weary about signing into my MSA because I wasn't sure if it'd try to link my MSA to the local account fortunately it allows you to only sign into the store and not necessarily associate your MSA with that PC/Account. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

12 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I had 0 issues with all of my updates from Windows 7 and 8.1 but I do have 1 VM that refuses to update from Windows 7 to 10, it's sad but I guess I can live with it.

Huh.

Well it's better I did a fresh install anyways.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Huh.

Well it's better I did a fresh install anyways.

Yeah but it's not worth the effort. I'll just wait until 2020 to replace it or clone one of my other VMs.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Yeah but it's not worth the effort. I'll just wait until 2020 to replace it or clone one of my other VMs.

I'm guessing it's not like a Virtualbox, Parallels or VMWare VM?

11 hours ago, wcreek said:

I'm guessing it's not like a Virtualbox, Parallels or VMWare VM?

It's a VMware VM.

-KuJoe

I had an awful time using Windows10. The first time I "upgraded" out of my own choice. The install went smooth and everything seemed okay until I couldn't connect to the internet which was just a "small" issue. I tried everything to try and fix that, but to no avail.

The second time Windows decided to add a scheduled upgrade and do it on it's own. When I noticed it I just let it finish as it had been a week or so after the last time and I had hoped maybe the Internet issue had been fixed, which it was and this was great. I was now able to experience Windows10 in all its glory, except I download anything from ANY Browser so i reverted again.

Third time windows10 thought I may have wanted to "upgrade" again and did it over night for me. This time though everything worked perfectly. It looked smart, the internet worked, I could download stuff .... All the features. Two days later my HDD breaks.

Got myself a new SSD and installed Windows7.

I'll get Win10...... AGAIN in July!

2 hours ago, ConneelyS said:

I had an awful time using Windows10. The first time I "upgraded" out of my own choice. The install went smooth and everything seemed okay until I couldn't connect to the internet which was just a "small" issue. I tried everything to try and fix that, but to no avail.

The second time Windows decided to add a scheduled upgrade and do it on it's own. When I noticed it I just let it finish as it had been a week or so after the last time and I had hoped maybe the Internet issue had been fixed, which it was and this was great. I was now able to experience Windows10 in all its glory, except I download anything from ANY Browser so i reverted again.

Third time windows10 thought I may have wanted to "upgrade" again and did it over night for me. This time though everything worked perfectly. It looked smart, the internet worked, I could download stuff .... All the features. Two days later my HDD breaks.

Got myself a new SSD and installed Windows7.

I'll get Win10...... AGAIN in July!

Did you do a fresh install? Anyways, just last night I had wifi just suddenly stop working, it wouldn't connect to my home wifi or the mobile hotspot I had turned on. A simple restarted fixed that. I at first that it was my router but then when the laptop couldn't connect to my phone's hotspot, I was like oh boy what's wrong. So I just figured to try to do a restart and see if that fixes it. half of the time restarting does solve the issue :P

Smooth, very little issues for the Official release.

I am an insider though so the switch was fairly easy for me.

*note the experience today is much, much different than it was last year at release.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Smooth, very little issues for the Official release.

I am an insider though so the switch was fairly easy for me.

*note the experience today is much, much different than it was last year at release.

Certainly could be said from recalling upon the experience in Build 10074 (29, Apr 2015) to the final release and current build of W10 (1511). Build 10074, I don't recall Edge had a name yet. At least in the OS, Edge didn't have a name. I think the subsequent build following 10074 gave the new browser an icon and a name. I tried Edge, it's not half bad. But I still like my Chrome. Firefox isn't bad either, don't really care for Opera though. I want to like it, but idk.

29 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Certainly could be said from recalling upon the experience in Build 10074 (29, Apr 2015) to the final release and current build of W10 (1511). Build 10074, I don't recall Edge had a name yet. At least in the OS, Edge didn't have a name. I think the subsequent build following 10074 gave the new browser an icon and a name. I tried Edge, it's not half bad. But I still like my Chrome. Firefox isn't bad either, don't really care for Opera though. I want to like it, but idk.

At the time of the official release Edge was included by name, prior to release it was referred to as Spartan (MS should have kept that name but I see why they used Edge :|). Edge has made a dramatic change since then and it is supposed to get better with the Anniversary Update, such as support for extensions that previewers have access to right now.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

At release Edge was release by name, prior to release it was referred to as Spartan (MS should have kept that name but I see why they used Edge :|). Edge has made a dramatic change since then and it is supposed to get better with the Anniversary Update, such as support for extensions that previewers have access to right now.

Oh yeah that's right they called it Spartan. I know at release the new browser had a final name.

I think the biggest thing that doesn't make me not care about Edge is the ability to go from a light theme to a dark theme.

i4a.PNG

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Oh yeah that's right they called it Spartan. I know at release the new browser had a final name.

I think the biggest thing that doesn't make me not care about Edge is the ability to go from a light theme to a dark theme.

<snip>

Yeah I am rockin the dark theme as much as I can in Win10. ^_^

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

Did you do a fresh install? Anyways, just last night I had wifi just suddenly stop working, it wouldn't connect to my home wifi or the mobile hotspot I had turned on. A simple restarted fixed that. I at first that it was my router but then when the laptop couldn't connect to my phone's hotspot, I was like oh boy what's wrong. So I just figured to try to do a restart and see if that fixes it. half of the time restarting does solve the issue :P

That sounds rather annoying.

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah I am rockin the dark theme as much as I can in Win10. ^_^

One thing I would have to find for sure. When I tried it the first time I actually went into the registry to get it on dark theme.

Anyway. Last night I made a 10 usb stick for a virtual machine to mess around in. This morning I turn my computer on. 

1c29dd3675.jpg

Oh great. Then I remembered that I left the usb stick plugged in and I guess it decided to rearrange the boot order on me in the bios. Removed usb and started normal.

Now off to install it on a vm.

Blarg