I did it. I finally upgraded to Windows 10. What was your upgrade experience like?

handymanshandle
3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

i'm serious :D

I calculate a lot of Little things, even if it's just +/- or whatever, it's the greatest Innovation ever.

How does one do it? I also can't seem to get the search bar to reside in the start menu. So for now I've just left it in on the task bar. It makes it feel like there's more stuff on it than there really is.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

How does one do it? I also can't seem to get the search bar to reside in the start menu. So for now I've just left it in on the task bar. It makes it feel like there's more stuff on it than there really is.

You can turn off the search bar on the task bar.  It's completely pointless and just wastes space, and it really bothers me when I see people with it because you can get the exact same effect just hitting the windows key and start typing.  That's faster and takes less space.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can turn off the search bar on the task bar.  It's completely pointless and just wastes space, and it really bothers me when I see people with it because you can get the exact same effect just hitting the windows key and start typing.  That's faster and takes less space.

Okay cool I didn't know that. Because there's no like field to display the text on the start menu but I see what you mean.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Okay cool I didn't know that. Because there's no like field to display the text on the start menu but I see what you mean.

Yeah everyone says that xD To be fair, I don't blame them, but yeah you just open the menu and start typing.  It'll work.  Trust me :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah everyone says that xD To be fair, I don't blame them, but yeah you just open the menu and start typing.  It'll work.  Trust me :D

I tried it. Yeah it definitely works. I already had turned off most of Cortana. So it was mostly just the search bar. I think for my mom I might leave the search bar on the task bar. Even though it's her laptop, I'm the main user of it. Eh whatever.

I had quite some hate on Win10 when I first upgraded on the EeePC and it wasn't handling it well; it was slow, buggy and crashed when I cliked the Start button.

But, when I picked up my new laptop, Windows 10 ran flawlessly. It was fast to boot and shut down and nothing crashed.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Last time I tried windows 10 was still in the early access/beta or whatever it was called. felt slower. settings were hidden in multiple areas. limited color options. (I like dark themes). I just didnt feel like it was an upgrade at all. this is coming from 7. kinda want to try it again but don't want to commit my machine to it.

Blarg

3 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Last time I tried windows 10 was still in the early access/beta or whatever it was called. felt slower. settings were hidden in multiple areas. limited color options. (I like dark themes). I just didnt feel like it was an upgrade at all. this is coming from 7. kinda want to try it again but don't want to commit my machine to it.

Virtualbox could be an option or dual boot. I also tried Windows 10 when it was in it's early stages (Insider Preview), specifically Build 10074.

36 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

I had quite some hate on Win10 when I first upgraded on the EeePC and it wasn't handling it well; it was slow, buggy and crashed when I cliked the Start button.

But, when I picked up my new laptop, Windows 10 ran flawlessly. It was fast to boot and shut down and nothing crashed.

How old was the EeePC? 

20 minutes ago, wcreek said:

How old was the EeePC? 

I got it in fall of 2012.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Oh so it wasn't really old? Huh interesting.

It's not old but it wasn't really that good even in 2012.

And also thank some jerks at Intel who have this planned obsolesence, and stopped supporting the GMA 3600! 

So the math equation is: Forced upgrade+lack of drivers=unusable computer=we are mad=we have to buy a new one=GIVE INTEL DA MONEY MWAHAHAHA

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

It's not old but it wasn't really that good even in 2012.

And also thank some jerks at Intel who have this planned obsolesence, and stopped supporting the GMA 3600! 

So the math equation is: Forced upgrade+lack of drivers=unusable computer=we are mad=we have to buy a new one=GIVE INTEL DA MONEY MWAHAHAHA

Huh interesting.

Yeah AMD is okay. My Samsung NP365E5C-S02UB that I don't use anymore because I broke the screen (dropped it or something (forgot)), it has an A8 4500M (Trinity) and then this Lenovo G50 has an A8 6410 (Beema).

It went well for me until I figured out I could not sign in to One drive. So I used the machine for school for 15 weeks before I could reformat and re install windows. Im litterally 0 for 2 on the upgrade method. My moms computer I also had to reformat and reinstall. When I upgraded my laptop I just did the upgrade install said screw it and used the Windows 10 flash drive I made to reformat and reinstall to make sure it would work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It went well for me until I figured out I could not sign in to One drive. So I used the machine for school for 15 weeks before I could reformat and re install windows. Im litterally 0 for 2 on the upgrade method. My moms computer I also had to reformat and reinstall. When I upgraded my laptop I just did the upgrade install said screw it and used the Windows 10 flash drive I made to reformat and reinstall to make sure it would work. 

So you didn't have much luck with the gwx.exe upgrade path?

Neither did I, because it had seemed that it was stuck at 95% so I kinda freaked out and turned off the PC, turned it back on and it's was trying to restore to the previous version of Windows. But that seemed to take forever. Eventually I got it back to Windows 8.1. But then yeah I wanted to a fresh install. So I had gotten the Media Creation tool from MS but that wasn't working but then I logged into an account that was an admin account. Looks like that fixed that issue for sure. So once it was done downloading and making the flash drive a bootable drive, I restarted into the advanced start up screen where you can choose where to boot from, and the upgrade went without any issues. I wasn't sure why it didn't ask me for a product key but @JefferyD90 told me that Windows looks in the UEFI for a product key before asking for a product key so that was pretty cool.

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

So you didn't have much luck with the gwx.exe upgrade path?

Neither did I, because it had seemed that it was stuck at 95% so I kinda freaked out and turned off the PC, turned it back on and it's was trying to restore to the previous version of Windows. But that seemed to take forever. Eventually I got it back to Windows 8.1. But then yeah I wanted to a fresh install. So I had gotten the Media Creation tool from MS but that wasn't working but then I logged into an account that was an admin account. Looks like that fixed that issue for sure. So once it was done downloading and making the flash drive a bootable drive, I restarted into the advanced start up screen where you can choose where to boot from, and the upgrade went without any issues. I wasn't sure why it didn't ask me for a product key but @JefferyD90 told me that Windows looks in the UEFI for a product key before asking for a product key so that was pretty cool.

Yeah, my advice to any one whom wanted to do the upgrade was to go through the motions of the upgrade, after it installed and activated, to do a reformat and install. Upgrade installs dont work with WIndows. To me, if your going to a new OS, you should do a full reinstall to clear out all the bull shit you have accumulated any way. I knew it wouldnt work on my moms machine because she was having issues with her windows install any way. Plus it was an old install. On my gaming rig however, I install WIndows 7 30 days before the Windows 10 update come out. I figured I would have been fine, nope. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, my advice to any one whom wanted to do the upgrade was to go through the motions of the upgrade, after it installed and activated, to do a reformat and install. Upgrade installs dont work with WIndows. To me, if your going to a new OS, you should do a full reinstall to clear out all the bull shit you have accumulated any way. I knew it wouldnt work on my moms machine because she was having issues with her windows install any way. Plus it was an old install. On my gaming rig however, I install WIndows 7 30 days before the Windows 10 update come out. I figured I would have been fine, nope. 

Yeah, it's kinda nice to have a fresh start. I mean it sucked having to wait for a couple of the games to download again.
(World of Warcraft being about a 40GB game took quite a long time to download.). 

I was updating a laptop, which Lenovo puts on some bloatware and what not. So that was nice to get rid of that too. I kept their One Key recovery partition and other partitions just in case Windows 10 decides to screw up or something.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Yeah, it's kinda nice to have a fresh start. I mean it sucked having to wait for a couple of the games to download again.
(World of Warcraft being about a 40GB game took quite a long time to download.). 

I was updating a laptop, which Lenovo puts on some bloatware and what not. So that was nice to get rid of that too. I kept their One Key recovery partition and other partitions just in case Windows 10 decides to screw up or something.

Thats why you do like I do. My entire Steam Library is on my mechanical hard disks while Windows is on an SSD. All I gotta do is tell steam where to find them. :D 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats why you do like I do. My entire Steam Library is on my mechanical hard disks while Windows is on an SSD. All I gotta do is tell steam where to find them. :D 

Well the only Steam game I downloaded was TF2 which was much smaller in comparison to WoW.

When I build my PC, I'll have mass storage on a mechanical disk and OS+Frequently used programs on an SSD.

I guess I could upgrade the HDD in this laptop to some SSD and then take the HDD and get a second drive bay adapter for the disc tray. But I planned on building a PC and buying myself a new laptop to give this one back to mom since it is technically hers.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well the only Steam game I downloaded was TF2 which was much smaller in comparison to WoW.

When I build my PC, I'll have mass storage on a mechanical disk and OS+Frequently used programs on an SSD.

I guess I could upgrade the HDD in this laptop to some SSD and then take the HDD and get a second drive bay adapter for the disc tray. But I planned on building a PC and buying myself a new laptop to give this one back to mom since it is technically hers.

Thats a good plan. You get get a SATA Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD for under $200. So, keep a look out for deals. I got a $240 Gb drive myself and I would recommend a larger drive if you can afford it. 

I really would like to keep windows 7 but since i am buying an amd card i will need direct x 12. So i am upgrading only my gaming pc now with a sad face

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

I really would like to keep windows 7 but since i am buying an amd card i will need direct x 12. So i am upgrading only my gaming pc now with a sad face

If you take the privacy concerns off the table its not that bad of an OS. It does have quirks, but it boots quickly, its fast, you can schedule when Windows updates install (Like give a time), it has a built in Anti Virus and it has better recovery tools. I like the fact you can download the ISO from the Microsoft Website and as long as you have a key or have a machine who has been activated with Windows 10 you can easily install it. If you check out Barnecules channel you will find a video on how to disable all the telemetry to keep your info safe. I can tell you its faster than WIndows 7. Because my gaming rig had Windows 7 on it at one point. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats a good plan. You get get a SATA Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD for under $200. So, keep a look out for deals. I got a $240 Gb drive myself and I would recommend a larger drive if you can afford it. 

Oh when I build my desktop, I'm going to go with an 850 Evo 250GB SSD. If I did upgrade the HDD and got a second drive bay for the disc tray I would probably get a 120GB 850 EVO or 120GB or 240GB OCZ Trion 150. Put that where the current HDD is and then put the current HDD in the second drive bay.

But nah, a 500GB 850 Evo is probably out of my budget with my PC build and for this laptop well I'm only going to be needing it for another 5 or so months. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you take the privacy concerns off the table its not that bad of an OS. It does have quirks, but it boots quickly, its fast, you can schedule when Windows updates install (Like give a time), it has a built in Anti Virus and it has better recovery tools. I like the fact you can download the ISO from the Microsoft Website and as long as you have a key or have a machine who has been activated with Windows 10 you can easily install it. If you check out Barnecules channel you will find a video on how to disable all the telemetry to keep your info safe. I can tell you its faster than WIndows 7. Because my gaming rig had Windows 7 on it at one point. 

7 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I was reluctant to upgrade from 8.1, I liked it and was used to it. But with the last day of the free upgrade period coming in about a month, I figured I should actually try to install Windows 10 and I wanted a bit of a fresh start with a clean OS that has minimal to no bloatware. 

I made sure during install to go through the custom settings and turn off everything, and then create local accounts.

When I was running 8.1 my mom and I both had it set up with the MSAs but this time during set up I made sure to make our accounts local accounts, and made sure to turn off all or most of Cortanas features.

When I build my PC (hopefully in October) I will be getting Windows 10 Education free from my school so that'll be nice.

I use a MS account only because I use One Drive as I use the University version of Office. I have gone through the settings and installed Spybot Anti Beacon. Periodically I rerun the scan to check for new telemetry that needs to be blocked. I mean Google has a lot of info on me anyway. I just to like my stuff being marketed to Advertisers. Which is why I use Ad Blocker, which is white listed on this site and only on this site as I dont mind ads from New Egg, LOL. xD