I did it. I finally upgraded to Windows 10. What was your upgrade experience like?

handymanshandle

So I had kinda been holding off and ignoring gwx.exe ever since it introduced itself to Windows 8.1. 

I had tried the gwx.exe upgrade method but that got stuck so I had to get it back to Win8.1 and I left it alone for about a couple weeks. Then just tonight, I decided to try to create a bootable Windows 10 installation key with the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft which had been having some issues in the past.

Fast forward a few hours, I've gotten the two local accounts for my mom and I set up. When I was setting W10 up, I made sure to disable everything under the custom settings. 

And now I've mostly finished up what I wanted to do at least with appearance, I still need to figure out what to do with that search bar.

My desktop, or whatever you want to call this.

Spoiler

981.PNG

This one is just the basic view of some of the info about the PC.

Spoiler

982.PNG

A slightly different but similar system info view as the one above.

Spoiler

10.PNG

So I guess to make this more fitting of it being a thread, What was your upgrade experience to Windows 10 like? Were you reluctant to upgrade? Or were you a day one kind of person who upgraded right away?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I was super hyped and downloaded the image to manually force the upgrade - no way I was waiting for that icon to offer it :P

It installed just fine, but I noticed a few bugs and odd behaviour with the installed system.  A clean install cleaned that right up and I haven't looked back!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I did mine on day 0 and had no issues since. Glad I did it personally. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I did upgrade on day one because a friend of mine was an insider (beta tester) and he told me it was good, despite some bloatware I removed with a little batch of mine and some other slighltly annoying "features", I'm happy with my upgrade to W10 (note that I upgraded from a Ultimate 7 to W10 pro) It improved the performance of my aging PC.

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

11 minutes ago, wcreek said:

So I had kinda been holding off and ignoring gwx.exe ever since it introduced itself to Windows 8.1. 

I had tried the gwx.exe upgrade method but that got stuck so I had to get it back to Win8.1 and I left it alone for about a couple weeks. Then just tonight, I decided to try to create a bootable Windows 10 installation key with the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft which had been having some issues in the past.

Fast forward a few hours, I've gotten the two local accounts for my mom and I set up. When I was setting W10 up, I made sure to disable everything under the custom settings. 

And now I've mostly finished up what I wanted to do at least with appearance, I still need to figure out what to do with that search bar.

My desktop, or whatever you want to call this.

Reveal hidden contents

981.PNG

This one is just the basic view of some of the info about the PC.

Reveal hidden contents

982.PNG

A slightly different but similar system info view as the one above.

Reveal hidden contents

10.PNG

So I guess to make this more fitting of it being a thread, What was your upgrade experience to Windows 10 like? Were you reluctant to upgrade? Or were you a day one kind of person who upgraded right away?

Wow, they still haven't fixed that available ram issue in Windows 10? Sheesh.

Don't forget to fix that, I guess.

MSCONFIG-> BOOT -> ADVANCED OPTIONS -> MAXIMUM MEMORY = Total installed memory

I upgraded as soon as it asked me, I remember it being a few days after the 29th for some reason, and after upgrading everything was sweet but had a couple of issues. BTW I upgraded from Windows 7. So when I got round to it, a few months later, I did a clean install from a USB and it's perfect. Had absolutely no issues since. Would definitely recommend over Windows 7

I can't really find any reasons to move from linux to windows at all :D

Imo, there was no point of releasing this system, since 8.1 works perfectly.

1 minute ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

I upgraded as soon as it asked me, I remember it being a few days after the 29th for some reason, and after upgrading everything was sweet but had a couple of issues. BTW I upgraded from Windows 7. So when I got round to it, a few months later, I did a clean install from a USB and it's perfect. Had absolutely no issues since. Would definitely recommend over Windows 7

Why would you recommend it over 7? Genuine curiosity. I've heard a lot of people bashing it, of course. 

When I got an SSD, decided it would be good to start fresh and move to 10. Had a bit of trouble with making the bootable USB to work but it worked out in the end. OS has its share of small bugs but nothing important, overall runs like butter.

Im just waiting for microsoft to stop peeking through my privacy on the PC. I know there are settings you can change, but there are something you can't change. Until they fix that, I'm staying in windows 8.1, performs nice still.

4 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

it works fine for me o.O

Untitled.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was super hyped and downloaded the image to manually force the upgrade - no way I was waiting for that icon to offer it :P

It installed just fine, but I noticed a few bugs and odd behaviour with the installed system.  A clean install cleaned that right up and I haven't looked back!

Yeah I decided to do a clean install because Lenovo put a lot of bloatware on the way we got it from Best Buy.
So far it hasn't tried to re-install any of that cancerous stuff like McAfee.

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I did mine on day 0 and had no issues since. Glad I did it personally. 

So far I'm liking the activated version of Windows 10 rather than the version of Windows 10 Education I installed on to a VM.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

I'm using the iGPU because it's an APU based laptop, that was the same amount of ram dedicated to the iGPU in the APU.

2 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

I tried the gwx.exe upgrade a couple weeks ago like I said in my OP, and that got stuck at like 95% so I kinda freaked out but it eventually got back to Win8.1. But yeah the fresh install went with out a hitch which was nice.

2 minutes ago, paprikman said:

I can't really find any reasons to move from linux to windows at all :D

Imo, there was no point of releasing this system, since 8.1 works perfectly.

I like Linux and Windows equally. Before upgrading I had Debian on a VM in Virtualbox

i waited a Little while before getting it but since then i'm 100% satisfied and it wasn't much of an Adaption from win7.

The Thing i love most is probably that you can easily calculate things down in the taskbar lol

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it works fine for me o.O

Untitled.jpg

Yeah. It happens with some systems for whatever reason. If you look in the OP, instead of having his total system ram available, it says, "X usable" in brackets behind the true value.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I'm using the iGPU because it's an APU based laptop, that was the same amount of ram dedicated to the iGPU in the APU.

Oh, okay. Just thought I'd bring that up, it's always been an annoyance of mine when Windows just randomly decides it doesn't want to utilize all the system memory.

10 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

I did upgrade on day one because a friend of mine was an insider (beta tester) and he told me it was good, despite some bloatware I removed with a little batch of mine and some other slighltly annoying "features", I'm happy with my upgrade to W10 (note that I upgraded from a Ultimate 7 to W10 pro) It improved the performance of my aging PC.

I'm on an A8 6410/Beema based laptop, with like a 500GB WD Blue (2.5" 5400rpm). W10 hasn't made it feel slower. Not sure I notice it being faster either. So that's good I guess.

5 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Why would you recommend it over 7? Genuine curiosity. I've heard a lot of people bashing it, of course. 

Boots faster than 7

Runs faster than 7 (very noticeable on low end systems)

Looks better than 7

DirectX 12

But that's just my opinion

1 minute ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Boots faster than 7

Looks better than 7

DirectX 12

Coming from 8.1, like I just said... So far the difference hasn't been too noticeable. At least it's not slower.

I'm on an A8 6410/Beema based laptop, with like a 500GB WD Blue (2.5" 5400rpm). W10 hasn't made it feel slower. Not sure I notice it being faster either. So that's good I guess.

i run an elementary OS/Win10 machine.

Upgraded to win10 pro from 7 home as a fresh install, ive not had a single issue, not sure how so many have had problems or are really deterred.

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

8 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Boots faster than 7

Looks better than 7

DirectX 12

I dunno... windows 7 can look pretty good....

Spoiler

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, Almighty_Spoon said:

i run an elementary OS/Win10 machine.

Upgraded to win10 pro from 7 home as a fresh install, ive not had a single issue, not sure how so many have had problems or are really deterred.

When I build my PC, I'll probably be running Win10 Education/Debian 

Though I might go with Ubuntu or Fedora instead of Debian. Idk. I like Debian but I also like Unity and I like some of the features that Fedora has. Also Ubuntu and Fedora are a little more user friendly I think. But I think I'll probably go with Debian. I mean my profile pic is the Debian logo...

wcreek

I guess for some people installing Debian is hard, but I just kinda figured that I wanted a 64 bit Graphical Install. 

VirtualBox Guest Additions didn't really want to work in Debian. Worked flawlessly on my Win10 Education Insider Preview VM.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

snip

That's a pretty cool wallpaper. 

I thought Windows 8.1 could look pretty good too. But many would disagree xD 

10 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Boots faster than 7

Looks better than 7

DirectX 12

Well, looks are subjective, but overall yes to everything :)

That's a pretty cool wallpaper. 

I thought Windows 8.1 could look pretty good too. But many would disagree xD 

Yes.  Yes I would :D

8 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

TIL hahaha... Really cool feature!!!

i'm serious :D

I calculate a lot of Little things, even if it's just +/- or whatever, it's the greatest Innovation ever.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes.  Yes I would :D

Tbh 8.1 probably was just as invasive on privacy as Windows 10 is. Though Win10 probably has more stuff that reports to Microsoft than 8.1 but, 8.1 probably still had a fair bit of data collection going on.