AMD 880K Budget Build - Bottleneck RX 480?

So, I have been looking at hardware for days for my new build. I want to do an AMD build but I can't wait for Zen. So I was thinking, what if I went with the 880K for a "temporary" build to hold me over until Zen. Then I would just sell the CPU, RAM, and Motherboard.

I plan on purchasing the RX 480 regardless. I'm wondering how "hardcore" the 880K will bottleneck it.

I already purchased / own the following:

CASE: Fractal Design Define Nano S

PSU: EVGA 550G2

Display: LG 25" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms 99% SRGB

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ulti 2016 w/ Cherry MX Blues

Mouse: Razer Orochi

My usage is nothing crazy. General usage with moderate gaming.

The bottle neck will be there, we just don't know how bad it will be yet. 

4 minutes ago, g12601 said:

The bottle neck will be there, we just don't know how bad it will be yet. 

What about an i3 6100?

At this point, the i3 is probably a better way to go thanks to the IPC advantage - but either will be fine if you're just tiding over until Zen arrives. 

28 minutes ago, Techbyte said:

What about an i3 6100?

If you get a skylake cpu you will have ddr4 for when zen comes out, but an 880k will bottleneck something like a 390, but only in a few titles is it really an issue, if you can stretch your busget to an i3 though it would perform a lot better.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 hours ago, SLAYR said:

If you get a skylake cpu you will have ddr4 for when zen comes out, but an 880k will bottleneck something like a 390, but only in a few titles is it really an issue, if you can stretch your busget to an i3 though it would perform a lot better.

I agree. And you could probably be able to sell an i3 with mobo a little easier than an 880k when you switch to zen.

it will be okay. 

definitely will bottleneck, but should not be severe. 

Titles it will bottleneck would bottleneck any GPU due to poor utilization of cores, etc. Just to a lesser extent with a more powerful CPU. 

The CPU does not bottleneck the GPU, or vice versa. The CPU or GPU (or something else) can "bottleneck" the performance of the overall system - which simply means they are the limiting factor - but not directly affect each other.

In most cases, your X4 880K will be the limiting factor in overall fps. This just means that you can crank the graphics settings up without the GPU limiting the fps.

So, yes, the X4 880K will be your main bottleneck. But, it won't "bottleneck" the GPU - that is, it won't be holding the GPU back, it will be holding the fps of the game back.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

I came to my senses and decided against the 880K. Purchasing an 880K, FM2+ motherboard, and DDR3 RAM in 2016 just seemed like a total waste of money. The tech is and has been essentially outdated for a while now spec and performance wise.

I went with an i5 6500 and the build only cost me an extra $80 because the only FM2+ ITX motherboard I liked was $100. I paid $110 more for the i5 6500, but my motherboard only cost me $70. (880K $95 + MOBO $100 = $195 / i5 6500 $205 + MOBO $70 = $275) I broke even on the ram as the 8GB DDR3 2133 kit I was going to get was $35, and I picked up a HyperX Savage 8GB DDR4 2133 kit for $35. The rest of my build essentially stayed the same. I am pretty sure the performance increase I will have with an i5 6500 /w DDR4 over an 880K /w DDR3 is well worth the $80.

Thank you for your input