$236 GTX 970?

Rhett Quigley

Ok, my brother likes fallout 4 which runs like crap on amd cards. The 970 for $236 sounds like a fairly decent deal (yes the rx 480 will be 200 and probably better but thats amd)

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

I have an R9 290...

Only Issue I got is the flickering of the compass bar, the rest of it runs perfectly even with modded graphics.

It could be fixed with a driver update but I honestly don't like updating my drivers too often.

i just wouldnt get last gen gpus in general because they will get outdated faster and have less support

Not sure what you mean by "fallout 4 runs like crap on amd cards". The RX 480 should have performance somewhere between the R9 390 and R9 390X, both of which seem to run fallout 4 as well as the GTX 970. Is there something that supports your preference of Nvidia for this game? Not that the 970 is a bad card, but in terms of price to performance, the RX 480 would definitely still be the better choice, unless there are some serious compatibility issues.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

As far as prices for new 970s go, that's a good one.  Still, it's more than the 480 like you said and that is likely to be more powerful...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

specs of brother's machine..................

graphics card on brother's machine?

also, did you try your 290 on his machine?

fallout 4? just disable godrays and performance should be very similar.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

He says the average fps is the 40's and dips to the 30's and even dips to the 20's and lower. It is my system in my signature, I'm just thinking it is because of lack of optimization in that game.

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

6 minutes ago, Rhett Quigley said:

He says the average fps is the 40's and dips to the 30's and even dips to the 20's and lower. It is my system in my signature, I'm just thinking it is because of lack of optimization in that game.

completely disable godrays, and lower shadow quality and distance. that should solve/alleviate the issue. i have a strix 390 and this worked out fine for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

completely disable godrays, and lower shadow quality and distance. that should solve/alleviate the issue

Rays is always reset to low even when you try to turn it off, and I'll try the shadows, like medium?

15 minutes ago, Rhett Quigley said:

Rays is always reset to low even when you try to turn it off, and I'll try the shadows, like medium?

yes

Godrays only help you in areas with heavy fog. Shadow distance set to medium is the same setting as the Xbox One and PS4. If your brother plays mostly Fallout 4 and I can say this because it's the reason I switched from AMD to Nvidia. Pick up a cheap used 980ti while the prices are in the basement. I've run a 390 and a 980ti in Fallout 4, it's worth the switch if that's the game you play the most.

If anyone asks you never saw me.