I need help finding a clear path for my studies.

Andrew48

Hello everyone reading this! I want to start a somewhat sensitive discussion. I am 18 years old and I finished school around 2 weeks ago. So now school is over and I have the whole summer to find out what I am going to do next. I am from greece, and here, in order to get into a university, you go through something we call panellinies which is like finals and depanding on how many points you get from it, you choose the university you want to go to. Unfortunatelly, I almost completelly failed. I am not saying this is a good thing, but I was not hoping for more, mainly because I dont have hopes on my own country especially in the category I am interested in. Just reading in the news about greece should point out why.

And now I am in a possition where I can either try again next year, or leave greece and go study aboard. Of course doing the second one means a lot more expenses for my parents, and I am aware of it. But my problem right now is fidning the right universities and schools for what I want to study.

I am a maker lover. I love making stuff. It can be from building an ikea chair, to a computer, to making my own diy projector, to making my house automated using raspberry pis and arduinos and even fixing the toilet. I love it all. I like doing things, working and mainly making usefull things while learning form it and learning new ways of doing things. This is what I want to do. This is what I love. 

But here comes my problem. I only know greek and english, so moving somewhere where english in not really spoken is not an option. And the other problem and the biggest one is that there is too much information online. I know this is not a bad thing and it might sound stupid, but there are so many details, and informations about every single thing that I am getting lost. 

I am sure some people here are from europe and some of you, might know and can help me make a decision on where to study. I wonder if there are like techical schools or something like that. This is the biggest problem yet for me, there is soo much information and I cant really describe what I want, that I am getting resoults about a milion things. If any of you know something, or have been in a similar situation and could help me and guide me a little bit, I would really really appreciate it! 

Thank you all for reading my life story. I know this is not going to be getting that much attention and replays, but to the people that can help me out a bit, I love you all!

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

In the Unites States you can go directly into a community college with a comp sci or engineering major (which you sound interested in), do very well for two years, and then transfer to a very good university. The community college is usually rather inexpensive (and free in some states) and the university after that is also cheaper if you stay in state and go to a public university like a UC (University of California whatever). The living and all the other expenses is up to you to figure out. 

System: Thinkpad T460

Thanks for your reply. Going into the US is one of my last choices, mainly because just getting there is really expensive. But the thing about the community college sounds really interesting. I will have to look into it for sure. 

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Do you have to go to university? Have you ever thought about going into the skilled trades field? You might like being a carpenter, a construction worker, or something similar.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

12 hours ago, Gale said:

Do you have to go to university? Have you ever thought about going into the skilled trades field? You might like being a carpenter, a construction worker, or something similar.

There is no such a thing such as "have to" in my case. I have no idea what the skilled trades field is. English is not a native language to me. I would really appreciate it you could somewhat give me a short explenation of what it is because it sounds interesting. Thanks

You could look in to getting some sort of certification from compTIA , if you want to go into IT.  I'm not sure but it may help with immigration to some countries if you can say you are qualified to work with technology.

4 hours ago, Andrew48 said:

There is no such a thing such as "have to" in my case. I have no idea what the skilled trades field is. English is not a native language to me. I would really appreciate it you could somewhat give me a short explenation of what it is because it sounds interesting. Thanks

A skilled tradesman is someone who does work in a particular field that need skilled manual labour. For example: Watchmaker, carpenter, plumber, etc. You mentioned that you liked to make stuff, so you might like something in that field.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

4 hours ago, ShadySound said:

You could look in to getting some sort of certification from compTIA , if you want to go into IT.  I'm not sure but it may help with immigration to some countries if you can say you are qualified to work with technology.

Sounds interesting. I did some googling around and it looks like I can even get some parts of it done from my house, soo I guess online. But even that, I dont really get it. I mean, how exactly am I taking part to it? Is there something like a school I will have to go to or something? How can this possibly be a valid IT ceritificate? 

3 hours ago, Gale said:

A skilled tradesman is someone who does work in a particular field that need skilled manual labour. For example: Watchmaker, carpenter, plumber, etc. You mentioned that you liked to make stuff, so you might like something in that field.

Oh I understand now. I will have a look into it. Its not exactly into my likings but I will do some more research in case I find something that really interests me in that field. Thank you for you time!