3770k Rendering Problems

I have a 3770k overclocked to 4.4Ghz with an Asrock z77 Extreme 4. I tested the overclock for 12 hours with no issues. Whenever I render a video in vegas or virtual dub, the CPU doesn't stay at full load, it just goes up and down like a heartbeat monitor. Whenever I run prime95, it is able to keep constant at 100% load, but for some reason when I render video it doesn't. This is pretty disappointing, because this is the main reason why I upgraded my CPU.

wel maybe because there is a different bottleneck other then that of ur cpu?

are u rendering data on a slow hard drive?

This is common mistake made by noobies.

They buy a beast CPU for rendering, but their hard drive(s) just do not have enough write speed to keep up.

Meaning it is unstable in reality. You might want to go down by another 0.2Ghz if you don't want to kill your CPU. And also to see which graphic card you're using on your mobo.

Meaning it is unstable in reality. You might want to go down by another 0.2Ghz if you don't want to kill your CPU. And also to see which graphic card you're using on your mobo.
So... 4.4 gonna kill and 4.2 didn't? why so...

lot of the guys running their CPU at 4.4+ ghz and nothing wrong with it

Not every CPU come out from the box are the same when o.c. Between did you unpark your cpu when you do rendering test?

Not every CPU come out from the box are the same when o.c. Between did you unpark your cpu when you do rendering test?
However 4.4 for a 3770K is a fairly common OC. It's more than likely to do with his write speeds as suggested or a software bottleneck.

I'm not sure what everyone else is on about,

But depending on your software/Configuration that is how a lot of software actually renders.

Majority of software will sit up around the 90-100% mark jumping up & down 10% but some software actually pules to not strain/overheat the CPU.

But I've seen some software drop down to 50% then back up to 95% constant during rendering.

You have to remember, When software is released. It also has to abide by certain regulations when it comes to computers, No company wants to be liable for cooking your computer.

Cheers

Mat

I do tend to think it is your hard drive writting speed who's causing your limitation/ problem, have you tryed rendering onto a ramdisk? that stuff is FAST and can help you diagnose your problem

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I'm using a vertex 4 SSD, I can assure you the write speeds of my hard drive are not the issue. Even if I wasn't using an SSD, I just rendered a 18 second long .wmv that was about 25MB, it took 3-4 minutes. A mechanical hard drive can write that much in a matter of seconds.

I don't see how the cpu can be unstable if it ran on prime95 for over 12 hours with no issues. When I render video in vegas it shoots up to 100% load only for a second, then goes back down to arround 20-30% and pulses to 100% throughout the entire render. My task manager literally looks like those heart monitors in the hospital when I'm rendering video. Also a 4.4Ghz with 1.2 core voltage probably won't kill my cpu.

I think HoZy might be right, thanks everyone though :/

I just test rendered a 720p video render in vegas just to see how much usage it would be for me. Mine sat around 75% - 82% throughout the whole render. On a AMD FX-8120 @3.6Ghz. Go into preferences under the video tab check the ammount of rendering threads you have.

As far as I am aware doesn't intels warranty cover you upto 4.5ghz overclock on 3770k. Anyways yeah mosy of the problem here is the write speeds of the hdd and also could be ram as well. More info of the spec of your computer is need. Prime only loads up the ram and cpu. And will only load up the ram if you set it to.

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz

Sorry I missed the bit about the ssd . So how much ram do you have and like blackthorn said have you check the amount of rendering threads you have?

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz