Best cpu right now for gaming?

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

I will, bare with me.

My gpu didnt really throttle any since in gpu-bound games I have no real issue.

In cpu bound games its a mess, like tera or hots.

hots is not GPU bound though. A friend of mine is running it on a Core 2 Quad 8400 - a much slower CPU - and he has no issues

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

58 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

hots is not GPU bound though. A friend of mine is running it on a Core 2 Quad 8400 - a much slower CPU - and he has no issues

Well, this doesnt matter, we cant compare builds, they are different, something is just not right, I should get steady 60.

anyway how do I use the test you asked me ? 

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

i ran fallout 4 and GTA V on a q9300 @2.5Ghz  and a Xeon X5460 @3.8Ghz paired with a GTX 760 and had no issues at 1080p and we all know how both those open world games love banging the CPU and GPU hard. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Well, this doesnt matter, we cant compare builds, they are different, something is just not right, I should get steady 60.

Yes, you should.

P95 is not the best solution. Download 3D Mark Fire Strike from steam and run that.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

8 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

However the graphs show otherwise, now while browsing the chrome browser only I get: 55max temps, maybe my gpu was 70+ when I looked at it, its normal though, the gpu can hold up more heat than the processor.

From the graphs and the videos I have to agree it is not the capability of the CPU that is holding you back.  Something is wrong, and it is not raw performance.  You have the horsepower to run these games well.

PSU is maybe not supplying steady/clean power to your PC.  This is just a guess.

You could buy a CPU cooler for like $35 and keep temps lower.  I mean, browsing with chrome and you are at 55 degrees?  That is not a good temperature for basically doing nothing.

6 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

open prime 95.exe

hit just stress test

hit blend

volla your workers will be running make sure you have a timer on hand and also use HW monitor to monitor temps 

and remember your aiming to stay under 64c load anything above then we know that its a thermal issue. 

also, be ready to hit STOP when temps get past 64c

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

open prime 95.exe

hit just stress test

hit blend

volla your workers will be running make sure you have a timer on hand and also use HW monitor to monitor temps 

His temps will go through the roof on a stock cooler.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

His temps will go through the roof on a stock cooler.

why i told him to monitor temps and be ready to hit STOP when they do. 

8 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

why i told him to monitor temps and be ready to hit STOP when they do. 

Buying a inexpensive cooler is something he should do no matter what.  A Hyper 212, or Cryorig H7, or BeQuiet Pure Rock, or Deepcool Gammax 300/400, or Raijintek... you get the idea.  $20-$30 well spent and he can use it on any CPU later on.

Same thing with a PSU.  How old is that PSU? 

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

From the graphs and the videos I have to agree it is not the capability of the CPU that is holding you back.  Something is wrong, and it is not raw performance.  You have the horsepower to run these games well.

PSU is maybe not supplying steady/clean power to your PC.  This is just a guess.

You could buy a CPU cooler for like $35 and keep temps lower.  I mean, browsing with chrome and you are at 55 degrees?  That is not a good temperature for basically doing nothing.

I dont know, also the psu is non-replaceable according to forum posts.

Its their own design or something. 

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

open prime 95.exe

hit just stress test

hit blend

and remember your aiming to stay under 64c load anything above then we know that its a thermal issue. 

also, be ready to hit STOP when temps get past 64c

how can I export?

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Buying a inexpensive cooler is something he should do no matter what.  A Hyper 212, or Cryorig H7, or BeQuiet Pure Rock, or Deepcool Gammax 300/400, or raijintek... you et the idea.  $20-$30 well spent and he can use it on any CPU later on.

Same thing with a PSU.  How old is that PSU? 

i stated that earlier how he should just buy a hyper 212 evo and be done with it. but as of now OP still believes that this is not a thermal issue and is a weak cpu issue which i dont but its a free country so yea.... 

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

how can I export?

unzip all the contents into a new folder then click on the p95 exe file 

58 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

unzip all the contents into a new folder then click on the p95 exe file 

...I mean the results

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i stated that earlier how he should just buy a hyper 212 evo and be done with it. but as of now OP still believes that this is not a thermal issue and is a weak cpu issue which i dont but its a free country so yea.... 

well I have it on auto, maybe I should change that from bios or something but it still happened back then when I had it on high speed fans.

4 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

how can I export?

Well, your 12v rails are only supplying 218W each.  Considering this unit might be old and shitty, that 218W capability might not be the same any more.

Grab a cheap cooler.  You can always use it on your next PC.

3 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

...I mean the results

its not a benchmark. you run this software just to pin your cpu to full power so you know its load temps and also stability if you OC, you use HW monitor to monitor the CPU temps and see if they do go past 64c when under load. open hw monitor while running p95 then do windows key and print screen at the same time to take a screenshot then upload to here so we see your load temps 

9 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

how can I export?

the PSU is a proprietary part which means that it will only work on dell motherboards. plug it into another mobo and you now have a new doorstopper. 

Here are 2 photos to compare, one without prime running and the other with prime running

etbe5h5ben34.png

rrrrrrrrrrrrrryrturtu.png

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

the PSU is a proprietary part which means that it will only work on dell motherboards. plug it into another mobo and you now have a new doorstopper. 

980 is power-hungry though, Could explain the issue

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I know but what does this mean for me? I cant provide more energy to it.

Is this the end? 

58 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

980 is power-hungry though, Could explain the issue

it is actually designed for less power consumption, around 550w is the requirement.

it is actually designed for less power consumption, around 550w is the requirement.

how long did you run p95 for when you took the second pic? also 70c package temp is high for that CPU. you just pushed it past the case temp spec of intel. 

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Trust me, 980s draw aroun 200-220W due to GPU Boost 2.0. If your +12V rail is only rated at 220W then you are DEFINITELY starving the system

59 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Trust me, 980s draw aroun 200-220W due to GPU Boost 2.0. If your +12V rail is only rated at 220W then you are DEFINITELY starving the system

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

how long did you run p95 for when you took the second pic? also 70c package temp is high for that CPU. you just pushed it past the case temp spec of intel. 

Ok, so I ran it for 5 mins or less, way less.

anyway, which are the options considering what i have?

In case I need new cooling solution, I guess it should be quiet as well

Ok, so I ran it for 5 mins or less, way less.

anyway, which are the options considering what i have?

Can you link a picture of your motherboard?  Or give us the model number?