Best cpu right now for gaming?

59 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

What cooler are you using on your CPU?

The default one from the server build, its not more than 75C ever.

I tried playing the games with full fan speed as well, so yeah.

Please do not change subject, I refereed you to the right thread just in case, it has all the info you need. thanks

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Lets say I am a gamer and I want to turn the machine into a gaming machine, to max everything, consider the parts I already have.

Besides what I was told in the forums, douzens of them.

I also was told that from dell themselves that I shouldnt run games and instead use it for work because it is not designed for games.

xeon cpus are workstation/server chips and are aimmed at the enterprise market, however they still preform the same as an i7 as its essentially a higher binned i7 minus the iGPU and has ECC support. so doing gaming it will still do the task but the reason why not everyone goes and buys xeons are because of the insane intial release price. after a while Xeons become dirt cheap when data centers decommission their servers  

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

The default one from the server build, its not more than 75C ever.

I tried playing the games with full fan speed as well, so yeah.

Please do not change subject, I refereed you to the right thread just in case, it has all the info you need. thanks

Yes, it does. And according to the Afterburner screenshots the CPU is never reaching 100% usage meaning it's not bottlenecking. Your issue won't be fixed with a new CPU. You have been warned. Now feel free to buy one and waste your money.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

Wow, I ran Tera on an i5 3570K (stock, 3.4 GHz) and have a R9 280.  I ran that game at near max settings with a solid 60FPS, and dips into the high 40s around 1% of the time.

I wish I had your luck. I love this game and cant play it steadily. Only in instanced areas that Ai create from quests.

I wish I had your luck. I love this game and cant play it steadily. Only in instanced areas that Ai create from quests.

Reinstall your goddamn drivers.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

xeon cpus are workstation/server chips and are aimmed at the enterprise market, however they still preform the same as an i7 as its essentially a higher binned i7 minus the iGPU and has ECC support. so doing gaming it will still do the task but the reason why not everyone goes and buys xeons are because of the insane intial release price. after a while Xeons become dirt cheap when data centers decommission their servers  

Exactly - the Xeon's performance is superior to the locked i5s from Haswell and even Skylake. There are 0 reasons for it to be an issue

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Check the "bottlenecking" thread - his CPU is at 70*C at low usage. My bet is overheating

You will have to point out where... he has so many graphs and I have not seen his CPU temp go much higher than 50 degrees.

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

Yes, it does. And according to the Afterburner screenshots the CPU is never reaching 100% usage meaning it's not bottlenecking. Your issue won't be fixed with a new CPU. You have been warned. Now feel free to buy one and waste your money.

So all I heard was just rummors? You tech people seem to not agree with anything, I was told and abused on forums for that, and forced to accept that the cpu is the issue, and I should buy a new pc all together.

Anyway I wont buy a new cpu then, please go to the other thread if you want to help I will appreciate it. It is an issue I had ahead of time.

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Check the "bottlenecking" thread - his CPU is at 70*C at low usage. My bet is overheating

overheating and thermal throttling, i bet his cooler is the ones you find in 1u or 2u sever boxes that were made to be passively/actively cooled by the high RPM server chassis fans along with the small fan on the heatsink itself. OP get a hyper 212 evo and watch your issues will be resolved. most people dont know jack shit when they say the term "bottleneck" clearly this issue at hand here is NOT a bottleneck but is a thermal issue. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

The biggest CPU stress was during PvP battles.  Even then the dips were not so bad, high 40s.

So all I heard was just rummors? You tech people seem to not agree with anything, I was told and abused on forums for that, and forced to accept that the cpu is the issue, and I should buy a new pc all together.

Anyway I wont buy a new cpu then, please go to the other thread if you want to help I will appreciate it. It is an issue I had ahead of time.

I seriously doubt it's your CPU. A quad-core 3.6GHz with HT from Sandy is more than capable by today's standards. It's more likely to be your driver as recent Nvidia drivers are horrible.

58 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You will have to point out where... he has so many graphs and I have not seen his CPU temp go much higher than 50 degrees.

I get the issue directly from the moment I start, I tried to enable full fan speed as well, ti was too loud of course, the issue would be a mystery for me, also

Reinstall your goddamn drivers.

I did!

read the full description on the thread to know what I did.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

One of the last ones had it at 72*C at high load on only 1 core

I get the issue directly from the moment I start, I tried to enable full fan speed as well, ti was too loud of course, the issue would be a mystery for me, also

I did!

read the full description on the thread to know what I did.

Install 361.75, not the latest ones. The recent drivers (past whole year) are shit.

I seriously doubt it's your CPU. A quad-core 3.6GHz with HT from Sandy is more than capable by today's standards. It's more likely to be your driver as recent Nvidia drivers are horrible.

There are many speculations, swapped parts around too much to even have a solid lead.

There are many speculations, swapped parts around too much to even have a solid lead.

Try running memtest86+ and check your drive status. A dying HDD can cause weird issues. A crap PSU is also a possible reason. A lot of things can cause stuttering and low fps.

Install 361.75, not the latest ones. The recent drivers (past whole year) are shit.

I played around drivers a lot

The biggest CPU stress was during PvP battles.  Even then the dips were not so bad, high 40s.

I have disabled throttling as well, both high fan speed and throttling off.

Still no luck.

Remember, I get this on heroes of the storm even more, the may be unoptimized but still... maybe a rummor though.

I played around drivers a lot, I had this one as well in the past and the issue was from the beggining of time.

Still no luck.

Remember, I get this on heroes of the storm even more, the may be unoptimized but still... maybe a rummor though.

I played around drivers a lot

Still no luck.

HotS is VERY optimized - there is 0 reason for your CPU to be bottlenecking there as my old Athlon II, which is several times slower than yours, never was an issue in HotS.

5 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

OP i have proof that your issue is thermal related. you said max temps were always 75c right? according to this website it say the max temp at the IHS for your processor is 64c. anything above that then the system will thermal throttle. here is a quote from the website. 

Electrical / Thermal parameters
V core  ?  0.6V - 1.35V
Maximum operating temperature ?  64°C
Thermal Design Power  ?  130 Watt

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-1620.html

here a quote from Intel ARK stating the exact same safe temp for your processor.

-
Package Specifications
Max CPU Configuration 1
TCASE 64.0 °C
Package Size 52.5mm x 45.0 mm
Sockets Supported FCLGA2011
Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS

http://ark.intel.com/products/64621/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-10M-Cache-3_60-GHz-0_0-GTs-Intel-QPI

clearly the issue is thermal throttling so my suggestion is buy a better CPU cooler. if you want to waste money and build a brand new system when this one is fully capable then by all means knock yourself out. dont say that we haven't warned you so already

Updated the last post a bit, also I do not have any heavy issues in black desert, I get good fps besides in cities, however I cant enable high end mode, its stressing my game a bit.

Depends.

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

OP i have proof that your issue is thermal related. you said max temps were always 75c right? according to this website it say the max temp at the IHS for your processor is 64c. anything above that then the system will thermal throttle. here is a quote from the website. 

Electrical / Thermal parameters
V core  ?  0.6V - 1.35V
Maximum operating temperature ?  64°C
Thermal Design Power  ?  130 Watt

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-1620.html

here a quote from Intel ARK

-
Package Specifications
Max CPU Configuration 1
TCASE 64.0 °C
Package Size 52.5mm x 45.0 mm
Sockets Supported FCLGA2011
Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS

http://ark.intel.com/products/64621/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-10M-Cache-3_60-GHz-0_0-GTs-Intel-QPI

However the graphs show otherwise, now while browsing the chrome browser only I get: 55max temps, maybe my gpu was 70+ when I looked at it, its normal though, the gpu can hold up more heat than the processor.

However the graphs show otherwise, now while browsing the chrome browser only I get: 55max temps, maybe my gpu was 70+ when I looked at it, its normal though

Your GPU will throttle at 84*C and the CPU may be throttling at some point. Rapid clockspeed drops explain your issues

However the graphs show otherwise, now while browsing the chrome browser only I get: 55max temps, maybe my gpu was 70+ when I looked at it, its normal though

run prime 95 for 15 mins then tell me the load temps. chrome browsing means nothing when you are banging the CPU with your favorite violent video game 

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

run prime 95 for 15 mins then tell me the load temps. chrome browsing means nothing when you are banging the CPU with your favorite violent video game 

I will, bare with me.

Your GPU will throttle at 84*C and the CPU may be throttling at some point. Rapid clockspeed drops explain your issues

My gpu didnt really throttle any since in gpu-bound games I have no real issue.

In cpu bound games its a mess, like tera or hots.