No one should buy MSI Nvidia cards this generation

SteveGrabowski0

This is perverse the prices they're charging.

$450 for the MSI Armor GTX 1070. This is their bargain basement aftermarket option using the old version of the Twin Frozr cooler and it's $70 over MSRP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127951

$660 for the MSI Aero GTX 1080. A factory OC version of their bottom of the barrel GTX 1080 for $60 over MSRP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127944

$720 for the MSI Gaming X GTX 1080. The midlevel aftermarket card (Armor is the low level and Gaming Z is the high level) for $120 over MSRP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127943

Anyone who buys an MSI 1000 series card is nuts.

welcome to the PC race fam, always trying to go for the pricey stuff when instead you could get cheaper stuff, and min-max       peformance

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

This is nothing more than economics. Low supply + high demand = high prices and MSI cards are in high demand. Blame Nvidia for the rushed launch.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Millionth time I have said this now

The MSI Armor 1080 shares the same PCB as the Gaming X / Z card, it just has a slightly modified Armor 980ti cooler

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

This is nothing more than economics. Low supply + high demand = high prices and MSI cards are in high demand. Blame Nvidia for the rushed launch.

I do blame Nvidia. But MSI is charging worse price premiums than everyone else.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's the retailer, not MSI.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

17 minutes ago, roughavoc said:

Millionth time I have said this now

The MSI Armor 1080 shares the same PCB as the Gaming X / Z card, it just has a slightly modified Armor 980ti cooler

That's terrible then, you're going to have a situation like with the Asus R9 290/x using the DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti coolers where heat pipes don't contact the die because the cooler was designed for the larger core? And GM200 is way larger than GP104, sounds much worse than GK110 vs Hawaii.

15 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Why is the retailer only price gouging MSI and not EVGA, Asus, or Gigabyte cards? It doesn't make sense. If this was newegg price gouging they would do it across the entire 1000 series since they can't keep them in stock.

That's terrible then, you're going to have a situation like with the Asus R9 290/x using the GTX 780 Ti coolers where heat pipes don't contact the die because the cooler was designed for the larger core? And GM200 is way larger than GP104, sounds much worse than GK110 vs Hawaii.

I dont know what they have done, but what you have already explained is the case with the Asus cooler and somewhat the Gaming X cooler and those two cards cool just fine.

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

While that can be the issue sometimes, all Newegg's prices for EVGA cards match the prices set by EVGA. But there are no prices listed on the MSI site, so it's hard to say. Seems odd that Newegg would stick to EVGA's pricing, but make up their own for MSI.

Why is the retailer only price gouging MSI and not EVGA, Asus, or Gigabyte cards? It doesn't make sense. If this was newegg price gouging they would do it across the entire 1000 series since they can't keep them in stock.

If they're the ones with the highest demand, that will happen, and I highly suspect  that the MSI cards are the ones with the highest  demand. Everything else looks like vomit or underwhelming.

I expected this to be regarding the bios sodemy. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

1 minute ago, roughavoc said:

I dont know what they have done, but what you have already explained is the case with the Asus cooler and somewhat the Gaming X cooler and those two cards cool just fine.

The Asus 290 and 290x cards were notorious for being horrible. I read so many reports of people's DCUII 290/290x cards running at 94C just like reference.

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Its not MSI its the retailers...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

While that can be the issue sometimes, all Newegg's prices for EVGA cards match the prices set by EVGA. But there are no prices listed on the MSI site, so it's hard to say. Seems odd that Newegg would stick to EVGA's pricing, but make up their own for MSI.

Like I said to Steve, I highly doubt most people want the EVGA cards, they're ugly AF.

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

If they're the ones with the highest demand, that will happen, and I highly suspect  that the MSI cards are the ones with the highest  demand. Everything else looks like vomit or underwhelming.

They all sell out within 5 minutes, so it's hard to make the claim the MSI cards are in higher demand.

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Like I said to Steve, I highly doubt most people want the EVGA cards, they're ugly AF.

They sell out within 5 minutes, of course people want the EVGA cards.

The Asus 290 and 290x cards were notorious for being horrible. I read so many reports of people's DCUII 290/290x cards running at 94C just like reference.

I am not talking about those cards, I am talking about the Asus and MSI Gaming 1080, they both have two heat pipes that arent in direct contact with the die. There is a 2c difference between the cards so it is not like it makes that much of a difference.

They all sell out within 5 minutes, so it's hard to make the claim the MSI cards are in higher demand.

It depends on how many EVGA models they get in, and since EVGA has priority over other AIBs, they probably churn out more models so the disparity between supply and demand is not as far as with MSI cards.

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Its not MSI its the retailers...

I don't buy it, if it's newegg they should raise the price on all of them, as they all have the exact same demand right now.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I kinda like the industrial look to them, rather than the flashy "gamer" looking cards.

I don't buy it, if it's newegg they should raise the price on all of them, as they all have the exact same demand right now.

I dont work at newegg so I don't decide.

Take a look at the 9xx cards MSI has the lowest pricing 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

JayzTwoCents was ranting about MSI on his podcast with Barnacules last night, about how they were initially going to sell the MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 for $750 and shit.

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's terrible then, you're going to have a situation like with the Asus R9 290/x using the DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti coolers where heat pipes don't contact the die because the cooler was designed for the larger core? And GM200 is way larger than GP104, sounds much worse than GK110 vs Hawaii.

That doesn't happen for msi since they use a flat plate instead of having the die in direct contact with the copper pipes.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

I kinda like the industrial look to them, rather than the flashy "gamer" looking cards.

If they were going for industrial, they failed. They should learn from XFX how to make industrial cards.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

If they were going for industrial, they failed. They should learn from XFX how to make industrial cards.

Failed by your standards... Please stop trying to speak for everyone.