Nintendo NX will not be about Power but about the content

SkywardKkalox

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/nintendo-the-nx-will-be-about-games-not-power-1323545?utm_content=buffer19b28&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-nintendomag

A quote from Reggie himself 

"For us, it's not about specs, it's not about teraflops, it's not about the horsepower of a particular system," he said. "For us, it's about the content. Nintendo is a content focused company, we create content that makes people smile.

Was there a recent Nintendo console that was about power anyway?

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

1 minute ago, Pandalf said:

Was there a recent Nintendo console that was about power anyway?

Power or no power, it doesn't keep people away from buying these consoles and enjoying the nintendo exclusive games.

Moved to Console Gaming section as this post does not meet the Tech News posting guidelines:

So nothing new. I've no problem with that personally. Look how well the games run on Nintendo platforms. And not all are "not demanding", look at Bayonetta 2.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

shit i still play game cube and my n64 :) graphics only matter on pc when i get the 1080 and start going 1440p 144hz but even then whats the point of good looking games if they are shit i prefer a game thats fun to play over one that looks good another reason why i love LoZ series 

I like that gamers who don't care about graphics come out of the woodwork when the topic turns to Nintendo and their inferior specs, when all other times they hound Sony and Microsoft for making systems that aren't comparable to "modern PCs."    

Not saying it's double standard.... but I do find that it puts a smile on my face.  

8 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

I like that gamers who don't care about graphics come out of the woodwork when the topic turns to Nintendo and their inferior specs, when all other times they hound Sony and Microsoft for making systems that aren't comparable to "modern PCs."    

Not saying it's double standard.... but I do find that it puts a smile on my face.  

No. Because they are different people, and different age group.

Plus, it is fueled by PC gamers making fun of console.

I feel that Nintendo is making a mistake here.

The WiiU failed for 2 main reasons:

-> The name, which confused a lot of people.

-> The lack of power.

Power is important, not for Nintendo, but for third party games, and the teen crowed. The big studios run a business, and it is about to maximize profits. If they need to make a special Nintendo version for each game, the cost need to be guaranteed to be not only returned, but also make money. The younger teen age group are more fascinating by graphics than anything. And realistic graphics = more mature gaming in their head. As this age group of people (for many), they want to separate themselves from "kid stuff" the most they can, they don't get a Nintendo system, because most of the console games are more in the art style of all ages, over realism, and overly manly man, doing overly manly man things. Because of this, younger brothers/sister, wants to be cool, and wants to copy their older sibling, and as such: doesn't get try Nintendo games (unless the parents get that for them), and ultimately, it is slowly hurting the company.

From what I can see, Nintendo is trying the WiiU again, but now with a different name. Again, trying to chase everyone, like the Wii. But now with Nintendo, blocking any YouTube Nintendo content, and horrible marketing, helps nothing to get the word out. So I expect Nintendo NX to sell, more than WiiU, but far off from Sony PS4 sales numbers. So as a result, beings a less powerful console, plus different architecture, boost game development cost, and reduces sales, making third party dev, once again, ignore the console.

Many says that Nintendo can survive with their first party game... That is not true. Nintendo needs third party. A proof of this, right now, WiiU, for the rest of 2016 has 0 big game. That is right... NOTHING, beside Paper Mario on October 16.

See here on Nintendo, very own page:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/coming-soon/#wiiu

Nintendo has released all its big game franchise on the console, beside Metroid and F-Zero, which nothing was announced. So a Nintendo fan, can only hope for a release of either game in end 2017 holiday session, at best... and that is of course for the NX.

1 hour ago, TheBestUserName said:

There's a reason my two systems are Wii U and PC. The Wii U understands its limitations and builds its aesthetic around that. The Sony and Microsoft are instead trying to market their consoles as being more powerful than they are -- sacrificing playability for some pretty screenshots. As a result we get sub HD games with framerates that drop below 20 fps.

No doubt, I would love for Nintendo's first party games to come to PC and I could play them at 4K 60fps. However, I will make do with 1080p 60fps instead, as opposed to 792p 28fps.

7 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

There's a reason my two systems are Wii U and PC. The Wii U understands its limitations and builds its aesthetic around that. The Sony and Microsoft are instead trying to market their consoles as being more powerful than they are -- sacrificing playability for some pretty screenshots. As a result we get sub HD games with framerates that drop below 20 fps.

No doubt, I would love for Nintendo's first party games to come to PC and I could play them at 4K 60fps. However, I will make do with 1080p 60fps instead, as opposed to 792p 28fps.

Aye.  I agree.  I like Nintendo a lot.  I've been a fan since I was a little kid (I'm almost 37) in spite of the fact that we had a Genesis. :)  I don't really have any system preferences; I've got a Skylake PC and many consoles.  I love them all equally in terms of playability and available games that I want, but the Nintendo systems have charm and nostalgia that brings much to the table.

I just wish I had more time to play all the games I want to play.  I'm almost done with Doom on my PC, but then I want to finish Spirit Tracks on my DSi.  It's my first Zelda game I've ever played, but my son has played and beat all of them. I feel behind. haha.  After Spirit Tracks, I plan on Ocarina of Time on my N64 because my son won't let me play it on his 3DS.  Whattajerk. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2016 at 3:29 PM, GoodBytes said:

Power is important, not for Nintendo, but for third party games, and the teen crowed. The big studios run a business, and it is about to maximize profits. If they need to make a special Nintendo version for each game, the cost need to be guaranteed to be not only returned, but also make money. The younger teen age group are more fascinating by graphics than anything. And realistic graphics = more mature gaming in their head. As this age group of people (for many), they want to separate themselves from "kid stuff" the most they can, they don't get a Nintendo system, because most of the console games are more in the art style of all ages, over realism, and overly manly man, doing overly manly man things. Because of this, younger brothers/sister, wants to be cool, and wants to copy their older sibling, and as such: doesn't get try Nintendo games (unless the parents get that for them), and ultimately, it is slowly hurting the company.

I agree Nintendo doesn't need to focus on power. But you know I think with their first party games, the problem is. Is that it's kinda stale. Mario Party 8 and Mario Kart Wii were okay.

But idk times change, interests change. 

For me it has to do with the gaming either having fun/interesting campaigns that tell an interesting story, or a freemode that can be really fun. I don't think over-realism is required for a game to have a good story or freemode but I think it helps. I've kinda been on the fence about wanting The Last Guardian (Hitokui no Ōwashi Trico) (PS4) because it looks like it might have an interesting story behind it. I got Until Dawn for a similar reason. Not exclusives and have realistic graphics but GTA V and Just Cause 3 have some pretty fun elements to them, so I guess that's less of an argument but still. The Last of Us, while looking realistic is an exclusive and has an interesting story.

Racing games and Flight Simulators are another story.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

At this point... the way I see Nintendo doing this is marketing the games, not the hardware.  Rumors place it at being powerful enough to satisfy the developers, so the games should come fairly fast.  I'll gladly take good games over "the best pixels I have ever seen" and promises of ultra budget VR. 

As for lacking "major games."  I'd say that KSP and Shantae are both pretty major for various reasons.  Also the recently released #FE is without a doubt a major release for this console with surprisingly positive reviews.  Not all games have to be CoD to be major. 

On 27/06/2016 at 6:47 AM, wcreek said:

I agree Nintendo doesn't need to focus on power. But you know I think with their first party games, the problem is. Is that it's kinda stale. Mario Party 8 and Mario Kart Wii were okay.

I'm not sure those titles are the best examples of what Nintendo is doing. I can't speak for Mario Party because I've never really had an interest in the series. But Mario Kart Wii? I'd argue it's the least interesting of the three Mario Karts that have come out in the last decade. Mario Kart 8 did a hell of a lot more for the series especially when you include the DLC. By comparison Mario Kart Wii is slow and very one dimensional.

Anyways, I don't know why you'd expect Mario Kart to be the bringer of massive innovation. If you want to see what Nintendo has been doing that's not-stale you should look elsewhere. Super Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda in particular. And especially Zelda. Did I mention Zelda?

*man tears*

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

3 minutes ago, skywake said:

I'm not sure those titles are the best examples of what Nintendo is doing. I can't speak for Mario Party because I've never really had an interest in the series. But Mario Kart Wii? I'd argue it's the least interesting of the three Mario Karts that have come out in the last decade. Mario Kart 8 did a hell of a lot more for the series especially when you include the DLC. By comparison Mario Kart Wii is slow and very one dimensional.

Anyways, I don't know why you'd expect Mario Kart to be the bringer of massive innovation. If you want to see what Nintendo has been doing that's not-stale you should look elsewhere. Super Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda in particular. 

I didn't mind it, wasn't like the greatest thing in the world but for a first party game I felt that it was okay. The last time I played a game on my Wii was like in 2011.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If the Nintendo NX use's cart's like the 3DS/DS would the console (if it's home based) be classed as a "micro-console" like the PSTV?

Lets just hope the architecture they use is somewhat easy for developers to work with at least, so they can at least optimize stuff.

10 hours ago, skywake said:

Anyways, I don't know why you'd expect Mario Kart to be the bringer of massive innovation. If you want to see what Nintendo has been doing that's not-stale you should look elsewhere. Super Mario Maker, Splatoon and Zelda in particular. And especially Zelda. Did I mention Zelda?

*man tears*

I have to disagree with what you said about Mario Kart Wii. From the last three Mario Kart games I think it's tied for first as most interesting/fun one if not the best.

The bikes added a whole another 'dimension' to the game, they kind of did online a bit proper, you could join other people's room, you had Mario Kart TV which had very interesting challenges sometimes with different kind of stages and overall I love the game. Mario Kart 7 on the other hand got rid of the bikes, got rid of Mario Kart TV and instead added the flying and underwater gimmicks. It also had game breaking glitches at launch. Everyone constantly chose Waha Loop and did that stupid glitch.. Or that other Wii Sports resort inspired track and did the glitch there.

Mario Kart 8 just added another gimmick and was okay overall. They added the bikes back, but they were nothing like the ones in Mario Kart Wii.

Anyways, that is just my opinion.

On 6/17/2016 at 5:30 PM, valdyrgramr said:

GC was the strong one.  Wii and Wii U were weak.  

I wouldn't say the GC was particularly strong, compared to its competition it was just on par. Maybe even a bit less powerful because of the discs they uses (which can only hold somewhere under 2GB, as opposed to DVD's that the Xbox and PS2 use that can hold 4,7GB).

No doubt it was an amazing system, but if you see what the PS2 and Xbox can do, it's just on par.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

14 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Wasn't the GC stronger than the PS2?  Even the Xbox was.  But, the PS2 had the larger library.

The consoles were really close and it just depended on a game to game basis. They all had their pros and cons, like Xbox had Microsoft's DirectX, PS2 was generally just good and Nintendo is just amazing with their exclusives and can make them good.

Looking up more info, I cannot find a clear winner (plus the hardware used in all system is different, so I'm comparing apples and oranges). I am not sure on the Xbox, but I know the PS2 has cheap component cables (as opposed to the composite/av/red,white,yellow cables) that make the graphics looks much better. The GameCube's component cables are VERY rare and can be 100 USD or up, so it can't take advantage of that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Minibois

Mario Kart Wii had its fair share of cheaters and exploits to. They weren't found as early on as that specific track glitch in Mario Kart 7 but unlike 7 they weren't patched either. See the reason why I thought Mario Kart 7 was great was because it was just a solid game in general. And that when exploits were found they patched them. More importantly the tracks in 7 & 8 were more interesting. In 8 especially because of the "gimmick" of having the tracks being able to be vertical

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing