Nedd help in installing Win 10 on a Laptop which came with Win 8 Preinstalled

vandanved

Hi, i have a MSI GT series laptop which came with windows 8 preinstalled on it, now i have upgraded it to Win 10 but i am facing some problems with the new os, as it was just an upgrade not a clean install.

I want to know that can i install a fresh copy of windows 10 downloaded from windows website on to my laptop with the windows 8 key which the laptop came with? Can i do it?

6 minutes ago, vandanved said:

Hi, i have a MSI GT series laptop which came with windows 8 preinstalled on it, now i have upgraded it to Win 10 but i am facing some problems with the new os, as it was just an upgrade not a clean install.

I want to know that can i install a fresh copy of windows 10 downloaded from windows website on to my laptop with the windows 8 key which the laptop came with? Can i do it?

Yes you can until July 29th. The correct method depends on a few things. If you have your license key printed on a label on the laptop, you can use it during a clean install when prompted for the key. If you don't have the key and it's only saved into the UEFI, you need to do the in-OS upgrade and after you have the windows 10 upgraded and activated (! very important that it's activated) you can then start the clean install and you won't be prompted for a key.

You should know that traditionally it has been possible to read the license key from Windows registry and use that during installation, but recently windows has started entering a different key into the registry which it won't accept during installation. I can personally verify that this applies for 10 and I hear reports about 8.1 too. It's just to say, even thou the Internet is full of tools that read the key from registry and instructions on how to use them, they don't always work anymore. My methods guarantee that you won't get stranded with half-installed or un-activating OS.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Yes you can until July 29th. The correct method depends on a few things. If you have your license key printed on a label on the laptop, you can use it during a clean install when prompted for the key. If you don't have the key and it's only saved into the UEFI, you need to do the in-OS upgrade and after you have the windows 10 upgraded and activated (! very important that it's activated) you can then start the clean install and you won't be prompted for a key.

You should know that traditionally it has been possible to read the license key from Windows registry and use that during installation, but recently windows has started entering a different key into the registry which it won't accept during installation. I can personally verify that this applies for 10 and I hear reports about 8.1 too. It's just to say, even thou the Internet is full of tools that read the key from registry and instructions on how to use them, they don't always work anymore. My methods guarantee that you won't get stranded with half-installed or un-activating OS.

I dont have a key printed on my laptop but cant i note my windows key from the system properties area and enter it when windows 10 installation asks me?

4 minutes ago, vandanved said:

I dont have a key printed on my laptop but cant i note my windows key from the system properties area and enter it when windows 10 installation asks me?

Windows 10 has a built in "refresh this pc" option  which will wipe everything if you want

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Windows 10 has a built in "refresh this pc" option  which will wipe everything if you want

where can i find this function?

1 minute ago, vandanved said:

where can i find this function?

type it in to start search? :D

its in settings  - update and security  and then "reset this pc"

windows-10-recovery_large.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

type it in to start search? :D

its in settings  - update and security  and then "reset this pc"

windows-10-recovery_large.jpg

thanks man.. I would definitely give it a try first..

27 minutes ago, vandanved said:

No. That's not the correct key. Do the in-OS upgrade instead. If you haven't gotten it forced to you via updates yet, you can get it here. It won't be clean yet, but it'll be legit. Then after the upgrade finishes, make sure everything works (no driver issues and so on) search the taskbar for "reset this PC" and run that program. It'll grant you a clean install. Well, as clean as 10 can be... Before you reset, you can still rever back to 8.1 if it turns out there's a problem like no sound or no Internet or crashes in games or whatever. Afterwards you're stuck with 10.

Edit: If you do this and you have the machine connected to the Internet throughout the process, you won't be prompted for a key. It'll automatically read the key from UEFI and update the info on their own activation server.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2016 at 4:36 AM, vandanved said:

IMPORTANT: I own an MSI GP70 leopard laptop, and from my experience with MSI laptops (which is too much experience actually) they tend to have many issues regarding windows 10 updates and also many WiFi issues. Please DO NOT try to clean install Windows 10 as this will just cause you a headache. I did this when I upgraded to an SSD and drivers and other issues were a nightmare. In fact, I actually made an 8.1 installation disk, and installed 8.1 on the SSD and left it there for a good while. That is until microsoft forced the win10 update onto my SSD.