RX 480/470 PCBs spotted

Djole123

So, we're all hyped about Pascal and Polaris, but I'll bring some more. There is leaked picture of the 480/470 PCBs, so let's have a look.

amd-rx-460-470-hands-on-3-1.jpg

So this is an SFF card. It has 8 memory modules (presumably 8GB of frame buffer), it's running off a PCIe x16 slot, it has, I assume, a single 6pin power connector, and it features 3 DP ports and a single HDMI 2.0 port.

I think this is a pretty damn poweful card considering its size.

http://videocardz.com/61091/amd-radeon-rx-480470-pcb-pictured-up-close

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Well, Lisa Su did have the bare PCB in her hand (alongside that puny RX460 with that cute little cooler on the thing), this is just a higher-res image of the same thing. And yes, that's a single 6-pin power plug.

I do wonder if the cooler on it becomes an blower-style e-peen extension just like on the 480 or whether AMD goes R9 Nano-style on us with a big fan in the middle and a big linear heatsink.

Ye ole' train

Traditional AMD 6+1 power phase. Nice. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Is the picture given above of a 470? Because I remember when Raja Koduri gave a 480 to Linus in the early look video before Computex at Macau in China, they took some b-roll shots and the 6-pin appeared to be almost in the middle of the card, or like two inches to the right from the middle.

2 minutes ago, Pardeep01 said:

Is the picture given above of a 470? Because I remember when Raja Koduri gave a 480 to Linus in the early look video before Computex at Macau in China, they took some b-roll shots and the 6-pin appeared to be almost in the middle of the card, or like two inches to the right from the middle.

The cooler had penis extention so maybe that's why it seemed that way. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

3 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

The cooler had penis extention so maybe that's why it seemed that way. 

Really? Why would the cooler need penis extension?

9 minutes ago, Pardeep01 said:

Really? Why would the cooler need penis extension?

More heatsink surface area

Allows overclocking of even a reference card

profit

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well tbh i have issues with calling this a leak.

The rx 470 is clearly in view, sadly it's not as clear as the picture but stuff like vrm, ram, 6-pin and other stuff are clearly visible soo yea....

Actually i'm suprised they didn't say anything about the rx 460 which is also quite clearly in view.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Traditional AMD 6+1 power phase. Nice. 

What do power phases indicate?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

What do power phases indicate?

Taken from the techspot forum: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-are-power-phases.169661/

Ok. From a very basic standpoint the power phases are like the firing order of the cyclinders in your car. 
For instance, if the board (or graphics card) has eight phase power, then the incoming voltage from the PSU is made available to eight buck converters* (each being a transistor to take the voltage load from the PSU, and 2 switches that alternately charge and discharge the load from an inductor) - so these eight converters fire through one cycle (i.e. at 45° if one cycle equals 360°) through their seperate switches, and are rejoined into a single board input. Technically, dividing the incoming current through seperate switches/phases reduces heat and voltage drops... So, the more converters (or phases) then, theoretically, the cleaner the input power since you have incoming power more times per cycle -less opportunity for current drop between discharges.

Using the car spark plug analogy, it would be akin to an 8-phase board being a V-8 engine, while a 4-phase board would be an in-line/V-4 .

3 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Well, Lisa Su did have the bare PCB in her hand (alongside that puny RX460 with that cute little cooler on the thing), this is just a higher-res image of the same thing. And yes, that's a single 6-pin power plug.

I do wonder if the cooler on it becomes an blower-style e-peen extension just like on the 480 or whether AMD goes R9 Nano-style on us with a big fan in the middle and a big linear heatsink.

I think the blower being longer here has a valid purpurse: since it feeds the fan from the back this means you don't have to cut the pcb the fan is just past the end just like the Asus turbo or gigabyte non reference blower design for the 970.

Edit: actually no speculation this is precisely why : 16081755923l.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

27 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I think the blower being longer here has a valid purpurse: since it feeds the fan from the back this means you don't have to cut the pcb the fan is just past the end just like the Asus turbo or gigabyte non reference blower design for the 970.

But it also makes the card longer, something that's not desired in HTPCs and SFF gaming rigs.

Ye ole' train

Given the 470 supposedly uses about 110 watts under load, maybe the AMD reference cooler won't be a jet engine this time.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

16 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

But it also makes the card longer, something that's not desired in HTPCs and SFF gaming rigs.

The cooler could be adapted

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On this image you can see the 470 appears to be smaller than the 480. But that's only the reference cooler, there will be other versions.

Polaris_02.jpg

2 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

On this image you can see the 470 appears to be smaller than the 480. But that's only the reference cooler, there will be other versions.

Polaris_02.jpg

So that PCB may be the 470?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

So that PCB may be the 470?

I think the PCB for the 480 and 470 will be the same, or very similar, they are both based on polaris 10.

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

In some tiny square style ones sure. But in some thin sfx style ones like the Raven RV02, fractal node 202, etc. This is actually a lot better than a tiny cooler: many itx enclosures kinda need a blower. 

This way the reference pcb is short and can be swapped by vendors for something smaller as needed yet its still reference in case you want a waterblock. 

Win Win if you ask me. (win win win if you get that reference you earn a cookie) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

It's already a short card tho

The back of that rx480, there is a 8 pin port near the fan. Must be for something, like rgb backplate :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I wonder if they will release rx 460 without any power connector. I hope there will be a low profile version without power connector. So, I can fit it in something like Dell optiplex 990 sff. 

4 minutes ago, GooDBoY920 said:

I wonder if they will release rx 460 without any power connector. I hope there will be a low profile version without power connector. So, I can fit it in something like Dell optiplex 990 sff. 

The card Lisa Su held up at E3 in her left hand was an RX460, and it had no additional power plug. It was also single slot, judging by the puny cooler and the single I/O slot on the back of the card.

Ye ole' train

26 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The card Lisa Su held up at E3 in her left hand was an RX460, and it had no additional power plug. It was also single slot, judging by the puny cooler and the single I/O slot on the back of the card.

I'd also love to see what will Pascal offer with the GT 1040, it should be an SFF card aswell.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Such a nifty little card :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |