Build Upgrade

Mekel

am currently looking to upgrade my PC but I do not know what I should upgrade on my PC.

Current Specs:

GPU: GTX 770 with 2048mb's of memory

CPU: AMD FX-8320

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: 4 x 4 GB

Power Suppy: CX 600 Watt

Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD5

Tower: Cooler Master Elite 430

I looking to spend under $1,400.

9 minutes ago, Mekel said:

am currently looking to upgrade my PC but I do not know what I should upgrade on my PC.

What are you going to use it for?

Resolution you will work and/or game at?

How many 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors does your PSU have?

And where do you live? (Country of residence)

Side question: Why are you upgrading? Are you getting poor performance with your current build?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

26 minutes ago, Mekel said:

RX 480, and you're set, maybe add in an SSD

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, Mekel said:

Current Specs:

GPU: GTX 770 with 2048mb's of memory

CPU: AMD FX-8320

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: 4 x 4 GB

Power Suppy: CX 600 Watt

Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD5

Tower: Cooler Master Elite 430

I looking to spend under $1,400.

If you have $1400 USD, I suggest you just sell this PC and buy a whole new one. That CPU is ancient and will bottleneck whatever upgrade the GPU you may make, and if you already upgrade mobo + CPU you might as well just update the whole PC, especially if you have that much money. For ~ $1000 you can easily get a Vive capable PC with an i5 and a RX 480 (or 1070 if you spend a bit more), and the $400 left and the money you get from selling this PC can be use for a Vive if you want :3 With that kind of upgrade in mind the onlything you can keep from this PC would be PSU, case and your storage (get a SSD if you dont have one) but I recommended just sell them all (except HDD since you keep your data in it) and buy everything new.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

On 6/16/2016 at 1:26 AM, Shahnewaz said:

What are you going to use it for?

Resolution you will work and/or game at?

How many 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors does your PSU have?

And where do you live? (Country of residence)

Side question: Why are you upgrading? Are you getting poor performance with your current build?

Gaming 

1920x1080

I believe 6

US

To be able to play games at higher frames and quality.

Yes. Games that I would like to play like Arma.

On 6/16/2016 at 4:55 AM, Megazero said:

If you have $1400 USD, I suggest you just sell this PC and buy a whole new one. That CPU is ancient and will bottleneck whatever upgrade the GPU you may make, and if you already upgrade mobo + CPU you might as well just update the whole PC, especially if you have that much money. For ~ $1000 you can easily get a Vive capable PC with an i5 and a RX 480 (or 1070 if you spend a bit more), and the $400 left and the money you get from selling this PC can be use for a Vive if you want :3 With that kind of upgrade in mind the onlything you can keep from this PC would be PSU, case and your storage (get a SSD if you dont have one) but I recommended just sell them all (except HDD since you keep your data in it) and buy everything new.

Couple of questions 

1. Where do you recommend I should try and sell my parts.

2. How much do you think I would be able to get for each piece. (They're about 1 year old.)

3. Would you recommend an i5 6600k, i7 4970k, or i7 6700k. (I want to play Arma 3 but I don't know what would be the cpu for my buck.)

4. Would you recommend a build?

35 minutes ago, Mekel said:

I believe 6

What?

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx600m-modular-atx-power-supply-600-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

PCI-E Connector    2

Are those 6-pin or 8-pin? I'm trying to figure out whether or not your PSU can be re-used.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/pcie6-2-jpg.57637/

The one on the left is 6-pin, the one on the right is 8-pin (6+2).

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

What?

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx600m-modular-atx-power-supply-600-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

Are those 6-pin or 8-pin? I'm trying to figure out whether or not your PSU can be re-used.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/pcie6-2-jpg.57637/

The one on the left is 6-pin, the one on the right is 8-pin (6+2).

6-pin

1 hour ago, Mekel said:

6-pin

Oh well, that means the PSU can't be re-used. But that's fine, we can re-use everything else.

This is what I recommend for upgrades. Use everything else from your old build.

If you can wait till June 29th for the GPU, switch the R9 390 for an RX 480.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $593.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-18 21:53 EDT-0400

On 6/19/2016 at 4:18 AM, Mekel said:

Couple of questions 

1. Where do you recommend I should try and sell my parts.

2. How much do you think I would be able to get for each piece. (They're about 1 year old.)

3. Would you recommend an i5 6600k, i7 4970k, or i7 6700k. (I want to play Arma 3 but I don't know what would be the cpu for my buck.)

4. Would you recommend a build?

1-2. I dont know where you are from so I dont know how to answer this. For each country there's always a forum with ppl selling their secondhand stuff, and some country/state even have a forum only for computer stuff. Other than that you also have ebay, craightlist and those site. The prices also depend on the area around you. For the baseline price of each piece I suggest you check on ebay for those part to see how much other ppl sell it. You should sell the whole PC as one instead of selling each piece if you are going to build a new PC anyway (keep the HDD though)

3. Any of those would be perfectly fine. If you want to do some video editing or a game that rely heavily on CPU/can use hyperthreading then goes for an i7, else and i5 6600k should work fine for all games out there

4. Sure.
If you want to go batshit crazy with over the top component that can handle even heavy workload/ constant video editing, 32GB of RAM and all that jazz...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($117.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1292.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-20 00:26 EDT-0400

(Back/White theme due to the GPU~)

Going with things that make a bit more sense, here

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.66 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1028.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-20 00:27 EDT-0400

Feel free to swap out the 1070 for a RX 480 if you want to drop the price by ~ 200$ and you dont think you need a 1070. For 1080p gaming a 480 SHOULD be perfectly fine if the rumor performance of equal to a GTX 980 turn out to be true. But we dont know until 29th this month. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

On 6/20/2016 at 0:26 AM, Megazero said:

1-2. I dont know where you are from so I dont know how to answer this. For each country there's always a forum with ppl selling their secondhand stuff, and some country/state even have a forum only for computer stuff. Other than that you also have ebay, craightlist and those site. The prices also depend on the area around you. For the baseline price of each piece I suggest you check on ebay for those part to see how much other ppl sell it. You should sell the whole PC as one instead of selling each piece if you are going to build a new PC anyway (keep the HDD though)

I live in the US (Florida)

55 minutes ago, Mekel said:

I live in the US (Florida)

Craightlist and ebay seem like the best place for you. Check them for price first and try to sell your system for roughly the same price.

On 6/24/2016 at 9:23 PM, Megazero said:

Craightlist and ebay seem like the best place for you. Check them for price first and try to sell your system for roughly the same price.

Should I try selling all together or try selling individually?

3 minutes ago, Mekel said:

For your system I think selling all at once together is better, since that CPU is really really old, I doubt many people will buy it on its own. The 770 on the otherhand is still decent enough.

6 minutes ago, Mekel said:

1.Sell it complete

2.Get a i7 if you plan to play Arma 3 since that game on i5 or i3 runs like Crysis at 4k

3.Good luck :)

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.