520w Or 620w?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
1 minute ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Okay, I will wait for a few more people opinions before closing this

I dont know your specs but if you calculator said it will take 300W that means it will take 300W AT MOST.

In normal usage it will take mabye 80W when browsing web and 200W when gaming.

PSU is most efficient at 50% load but since you will be runing at arond 10%-20% of load with both PSUs most of the time the efficiency will be almost the same and you simply wont be able to tell the difference on your power bill at all. The only thing that will affect is is how much time you will play games vs idling or just be on computer in general....

really people.. Where do you live if your power is so freaking expensive that you have count every single watt?

So I have a system that runs at 300w max according to PSU calculators and I have found 2 very good PSUs that cost the same.

1. Seasonic M12ii 520w 

2. Seasonic M12ii 620w 

Which should I get? the 520w which will drive my bills down or the 620w which will give me room for upgrades.

Also how much will my energy bill go down and it seems like GPUs and CPUs or consuing alot less power so maybe I would never even need close to 620w.

system:

Intel i5 4460

1TB Hard Drive

RX 480 ( if it lives up to the hype )

8GB RAM

What do you think!

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

Go with 620W. If your system truly takes 300W at its peak the difference in efficiency will be almost non existent.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Go with 620W. If your system truly takes 300W at its peak the difference in efficiency will be almost non existent.

How much will the bills go up by compared to the 520w?

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

4 minutes ago, somerandomguy12 said:

How much will the bills go up by compared to the 520w?

1% at most

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1% at most

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1 minute ago, somerandomguy12 said:

I dont know your specs but if you calculator said it will take 300W that means it will take 300W AT MOST.

In normal usage it will take mabye 80W when browsing web and 200W when gaming.

PSU is most efficient at 50% load but since you will be runing at arond 10%-20% of load with both PSUs most of the time the efficiency will be almost the same and you simply wont be able to tell the difference on your power bill at all. The only thing that will affect is is how much time you will play games vs idling or just be on computer in general....

really people.. Where do you live if your power is so freaking expensive that you have count every single watt?

Honestly I would just go for the 520w. I am running a 4960k and a GTX 960 with a Corsair 430M no problem, you shouldn't have a problem either

15 minutes ago, somerandomguy12 said:

I have found 2 very good PSUs that cost the same

If they cost the same, get the larger one.

PSUs are more efficient when running at lower wattage generally.

You can confirm this by checking the PSU's efficiency curve on the manufacture's website (or a third party benchmark if you don't trust the manufacture...)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 hours ago, somerandomguy12 said:

So I have a system that runs at 300w max according to PSU calculators and I have found 2 very good PSUs that cost the same.

1. Seasonic M12ii 520w 

2. Seasonic M12ii 620w 

Which should I get? the 520w which will drive my bills down or the 620w which will give me room for upgrades.

Also how much will my energy bill go down and it seems like GPUs and CPUs or consuing alot less power so maybe I would never even need close to 620w.

system:

Intel i5 4460

1TB Hard Drive

8GB RAM

What do you think!

As they cost the same then get the 620W.

get the bigger one if they cost the same, you'll have somewhere to grow later with more powerful cards or maybe multiple cards

if you're into the efficiency you can get these tables, make some excel magic and calculate yourself

Article ImageKWJIYIY.png

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/Seasonic/

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 hours ago, somerandomguy12 said:

1. Seasonic M12ii 520w 

2. Seasonic M12ii 620w 

system:

Intel i5 4460

1TB Hard Drive

8GB RAM

What do you think!

If they cost the same then there is no reason not to get the 620W. Why is this a question tbh?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You are going to save hardly any money, maybe a $1 a month, by getting a PSU that will run at peak efficiency during full load. Instead of the S12II units I would get a Corsair CX 450 watt PSU, just as good if not better and cheaper.