Videos lagging when gaming (WMP, YouTube, Vessel)

Lately I have had issues with different videos lagging when gaming (both in Win Movie Player, YouTube, vessel, twitch etc.).

It seems to happen whenever I run a game in "Full-screen", now, back in Win7 i had the same issue, and fixed it by disabling

Windows Desktop Composition, however, I am unable to find any sort of fix or equal setting in Win 10 (which I've been running for about a year now)

It could just be that my Google-fu is failing me, but non the less, I need help :)

I don't believe it's a hardware issue, since I'm running a i7 2600k and a GTX 970 with 16GB RAM, and there are no thermal problems or anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

30 minutes ago, Northstorm said:

Lately I have had issues with different videos lagging when gaming (both in Win Movie Player, YouTube, vessel, twitch etc.).

It seems to happen whenever I run a game in "Full-screen", now, back in Win7 i had the same issue, and fixed it by disabling

Windows Desktop Composition, however, I am unable to find any sort of fix or equal setting in Win 10 (which I've been running for about a year now)

It could just be that my Google-fu is failing me, but non the less, I need help :)

I don't believe it's a hardware issue, since I'm running a i7 2600k and a GTX 970 with 16GB RAM, and there are no thermal problems or anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is CPU related. The only solution is to pause the video while gaming or not game while playing a video

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You're saying that an i7 2600k @4.0 Ghz with an H80 cooler, can't run a Youtube video and play a game, while only sitting at like 30% utilization?

The problem is only there when running Full-screen, windowed or Windowed-Full-Screen is no issue, but not all games support Windowed-Full-Screen 

Try clearing the browsing data in your browser. Maybe its the cache and cookies.

Tried that, happens in all browsers, even ones i don't ever use, and I don't see how browser data can affect Windows Media Player :/

Sadly i do not have a solution, but i do have the exact same trouble since not too long.

Full-screen games, make any video playback choppy, be it in my browser or media player classic.

Im running:

6700k with h100igtx

evga 980ti sc

16 gb corsair platinum.

Everything else seems to run great and my hardware can easily handle the load. Did not used to be this way, only started a while back.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is CPU related. The only solution is to pause the video while gaming or not game while playing a video

no it's not ... did you actually read OPs post?

@Northstorm you tried changing the DPI scaling?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm running 3 monitors, 2 1080p's and 1 1440p (main monitor) and besides overclocking my 1440 to 90hz I haven't messed with any settings.

Tried messing with scaling, didin't help.

1 hour ago, Northstorm said:

I'm running 3 monitors, 2 1080p's and 1 1440p (main monitor) and besides overclocking my 1440 to 90hz I haven't messed with any settings.

Tried messing with scaling, didin't help.

Try disabling Nvidia GeForce Experience and Nvidia Stream service (I remember reading some people having video playback issues when it was running).

Hold all 3; CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

From the task manager, go to the "Services" tab (should be the last one)

Click "Open Services" on the bottom

From the Services window, find the service named "NVIDIA GeForce Experience Service" and double click it

In the popup, click the "Stop" button and then select "Disabled" from the "Startup type" drop down list

Restart and try again

EDIT: found one of the reddit thread about it;

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3tojfa/psa_nvidia_if_you_updated_geforce_experience_and/

BTW, I know you might be streaming but just for the sake of argument, try them one by one to find if they could be the culprits!

Tried it wkdpaul, didn't work, solid possibility tho'

1 hour ago, Northstorm said:

Tried it wkdpaul, didn't work, solid possibility tho'

Damn, was worth a try, not sure what to try else at this point :(