10 OSs on 1 PC

Abdalla

Hey guys, I don't know if this is a stupid idea or not. However, I really want to know if it is possible to install 10 OSs on 1 PC and run them simultaneously? If yes, please point me to the right direction on where to start as I don't have any idea. If not, any other ideas that will get me to running 10 systems together and controlling them through 1 PC?

Thanks!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Hey guys, I don't know if this is a stupid idea or not. However, I really want to know if it is possible to install 10 OSs on 1 PC and run them simultaneously? If yes, please point me to the right direction on where to start as I don't have any idea. If not, any other ideas that will get me to running 10 systems together and controlling them through 1 PC?

Thanks!

What will the pc be doing? What sort of hardware/budget are you considering?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah I know, but is it possible to configure them to work on different monitors? I mean like, do you see how LAN parties are? I want the systems to be on different monitors but I can control them through 1 PC.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

What will the pc be doing? What sort of hardware/budget are you considering?

$5000 for the PC. I do not want the system to be high-end, I only want it to be able to handle 10 systems ON together (not for gaming). Is it enough?

3 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

$5000 for the PC. I do not want the system to be high-end, I only want it to be able to handle 10 systems ON together (not for gaming). Is it enough?

Well what are the systems going to be doing?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Abdalla said:

Maybe.

In an earlier post you said you want to be able to "control" the systems. What do you mean by control?

So what exactly are you trying to do with 10 OSs at once? I'm sure there's a simpler and better way to do what you want.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

1 minute ago, brob said:

Maybe.

In an earlier post you said you want to be able to "control" the systems. What do you mean by control?

What I meant is that I am going to be using them all at the same time doing different things.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well what are the systems going to be doing?

Browsing, Microsoft office, just regular things.

1 minute ago, Abdalla said:

What I meant is that I am going to be using them all at the same time doing different things.

Be more specific? Is it really not 10 different things you could just run at once on a $5000 PC?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, Abdalla said:

Browsing, Microsoft office, just regular things.

Probably less of a pain in the ass to just build like 10 AM1 based systems

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtYf7h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtYf7h/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($13.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $193.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-13 00:45 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Be more specific? Is it really not 10 different things you could just run at once on a $5000 PC?

Nope. I might want to do the same thing but on two different systems. I want to be able to use any system I want and I want other people to be able to use them. I was going to buy 10 different PCs and make a network where I could control all pcs, but I was thinking about the power consumption. That is why I thought it might be better to use only 1 PC if possible.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably less of a pain in the ass to just build like 10 AM1 based systems

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtYf7h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtYf7h/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($13.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $193.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-13 00:45 EDT-0400

Thought about that but I was thinking about the long term power consumption. isn't it cheaper to have 1 hardware system running than 10?

14 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Yeah I know, but is it possible to configure them to work on different monitors? I mean like, do you see how LAN parties are? I want the systems to be on different monitors but I can control them through 1 PC.

if you do it like this then yeah

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Thought about that but I was thinking about the long term power consumption. isn't it cheaper to have 1 hardware system running than 10?

Potentially, when idle they aren't going to use much power, Intel even has some 9W SoCs

The slightly less pain in the ass way to do it would probably be AM3+ based, just downclock the CPU to like 2ghz for lower power consumption

and a machine like this would give you 4 systems in one, the workstation card is low power and has 4 mini display port outs

just give every machine 2 cores, 8gbs of RAM and an SSD, probably running live GNU/Linux of some kind from a USB so you don't need a host OS, or just install an OS onto one of the drives and have that be one machine, dunno if it has enough USB ports

Also I don't know if there's going to be a bandwidth issue having 4 PCs share one hardware connection

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGzpgL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGzpgL/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($118.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G/3.1 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: AMD FirePro W4100 2GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($98.68 @ Amazon)
Total: $807.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-13 00:51 EDT-0400

-

-

Something I'd like to play with should I ever have the spare cash is buying one of these USB docks and passing it through to a virtual machine

http://plugable.com/products/ud-160-a

I think you'd need a PCi-e USB adapter to passthrough, and I'm not sure how it would work with a virtual machine

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Potentially, when idle they aren't going to use much power, Intel even has some 9W SoCs

The slightly less pain in the ass way to do it would probably be AM3+ based, just downclock the CPU to like 2ghz for lower power consumption

and a machine like this would give you 4 systems in one, the workstation card is low power and has 4 mini display port outs

just give every machine 2 cores, 8gbs of RAM and an SSD, probably running live GNU/Linux of some kind from a USB so you don't need a host OS, or just install an OS onto one of the drives and have that be one machine, dunno if it has enough USB ports

Also I don't know if there's going to be a bandwidth issue having 4 PCs share one hardware connection

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGzpgL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGzpgL/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($118.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G/3.1 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: AMD FirePro W4100 2GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($98.68 @ Amazon)
Total: $807.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-13 00:51 EDT-0400

Thank you man. I think this is what I was looking for. I will look into it and let you know!

2 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Thank you man. I think this is what I was looking for. I will look into it and let you know!

Should also try the Tek Syndicate forums, people there probably know more than me, also check that last dock part, I need to look more into that

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Nope. I might want to do the same thing but on two different systems. I want to be able to use any system I want and I want other people to be able to use them. I was going to buy 10 different PCs and make a network where I could control all pcs, but I was thinking about the power consumption. That is why I thought it might be better to use only 1 PC if possible.

Power consumption is going to be similar regardless of the solution.

The advantage of having individual pc is that one can fail without taking out the entire cluster.

14 minutes ago, brob said:

There is something to be said though for the PSU efficiency, You could buy a bunch of relatively cheap machines with bronze PSUs for the same price as a few of those FX 8 core systems with platinum rated PSUs

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Made a Thread

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/4-virtual-machine-system-fx-8-core-base-4-ssds/102701

Spoiler

On 6/12/2016 at 9:26 PM, Abdalla said:

I just had the best idea ever, the money saved with the FX 8 core lets you buy solar panels and a battery bank to power the PC, thus making it cheaper in the super long run as well over a more powerful PC

totally worth the necro, what did you end up buying anyways?

Spoiler