"Enterprise" vs "Normal" VPS

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Don't there is a big difference. If that data center is doing collocation that might be more correct. The only thing they can do to improve performance change how many people use the system at once(does each vm have its own core or are they sharing them).

I have a bunch of servers hosted with many different companies, from OVH to DigitalOcean to Google and Amazon. I figured it wouldn't hurt to start consolidating to one platform so I asked around locally for hosting providers.

I found a local datacenter that offers "Enterprise" grade VPS systems. To me this sounds like BS, but I thought to double check here.

For example, if you were looking for 1 core and 2GB of ram that comes to (about) $4 for OVH, $10 for Google, and $14 for Amazon every month. With the local datacenter that would cost me $90/month plus a $200 sign-up fee.

Is there a difference between the two? Or are they just throwing fancy marketing terms around with a high price point?

~Judah

Don't there is a big difference. If that data center is doing collocation that might be more correct. The only thing they can do to improve performance change how many people use the system at once(does each vm have its own core or are they sharing them).

"enterprise" is a marketing term.

its the specs that matter ;)

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That actually does make a bit of sense. If each virtual machine had "dedicated" hardware that would drive the cost up significantly.

Is there any advantage to doing this vs normal? I have never had any slow-downs or speed issues with any other provider

~Judah

7 minutes ago, Judahnator said:

I have a bunch of servers hosted with many different companies, from OVH to DigitalOcean to Google and Amazon. I figured it wouldn't hurt to start consolidating to one platform so I asked around locally for hosting providers.

I found a local datacenter that offers "Enterprise" grade VPS systems. To me this sounds like BS, but I thought to double check here.

For example, if you were looking for 1 core and 2GB of ram that comes to (about) $4 for OVH, $10 for Google, and $14 for Amazon every month. With the local datacenter that would cost me $90/month plus a $200 sign-up fee.

Is there a difference between the two? Or are they just throwing fancy marketing terms around with a high price point?

Honestly, to me, Amazon AWS is probably the best option for anyone.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

2 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Honestly, to me, Amazon AWS is probably the best option for anyone.

I love Amazons platform. Its like the Apple of the servers world, a feature complete walled garden.

I use them for my mission-critical stuff (clients who cannot afford downtime). I really like OVH though (they host this very forum, believe it or not). Their pricing is by far the best I have seen and their virtual rack service has a full 10GBE pipe. Their support really sucks though...

~Judah

3 minutes ago, Judahnator said:

I love Amazons platform. Its like the Apple of the servers world, a feature complete walled garden.

I use them for my mission-critical stuff (clients who cannot afford downtime). I really like OVH though (they host this very forum, believe it or not). Their pricing is by far the best I have seen and their virtual rack service has a full 10GBE pipe. Their support really sucks though...

AWS might be able to get you better pricing if you called and asked for it, esp if your bigger. They also have lower prices if you buy it for a year instead of a month. 

I also know for AWS that if you buy the normal and big vm's you get deticated cores, where iwth the mini's and micro's you have shared cores.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

AWS might be able to get you better pricing if you called and asked for it, esp if your bigger. They also have lower prices if you buy it for a year instead of a month. 

I also know for AWS that if you buy the normal and big vm's you get deticated cores, where iwth the mini's and micro's you have shared cores.

I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Ill have to dig deeper into their services. I have only ever used their little stuff for small side projects

~Judah

I would ask them to give specifics to justify the higher cost. I can think of reasons it would be higher but any of those would be very specific use cases.

Typically anyone branding themselves as Enterprise would have a hard time beating AWS feature and performance wise.

Enterprise should also involve SLA's. E.g Backup/Recovery, Downtime, Configuration support, etc...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Sometimes the differentiating feature is the sort of support you get if something goes wrong. 

I know with the laptops I buy, Dells, when I buy the "enterprise" ones, when something goes wrong, I get to speak with English speaking people in Alabama or Texas for replacement parts or service.

When friends have bought the 'consumer" Dells, they are in some queue for an Indian call center where they basically get treated like total dummies. 

Night and day the different level of service.  This may very well be the differentiation in the product offering.