Obama gets upgraded from a blackberry to a........."Smartphone". It still isn't good.

AlTech
5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Who the fuck is gonna listen to him, the NSA?

as bush would say, A 'kada 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

52 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The US Government has switched from blackberry to Android. Buuuut it is not the Android OS you think it is. It is a sorta re-written version with integrated secure coding of sorts (and yes I know I am not using the correct terminology here) and other things added into it that is only used in government and military applications.

*edit

Forgot to add;

Most calls and data that the phones use are routed through the Military's Telnet service also enhancing its security.

The government uses iPhones a lot as well. Plenty of camera-less "dumb" phones floating around too.

11 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

The government uses iPhones a lot as well. Plenty of camera-less "dumb" phones floating around too.

That is true, there is still a number of Blackberry's floating around as well but they are in the process of attempting convert the majority over. What I know is mostly from the military side of things so my knowledge is somewhat limited there. I do know that as long as the 'official' is willing to allow certain software/app to be installed the official should be able to utilize the phone they already have albeit at a now limited function of course. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

That is true, there is still a number of Blackberry's floating around as well but they are in the process of attempting convert the majority over. What I know is mostly from the military side of things so my knowledge is somewhat limited there. I do know that as long as the 'official' is willing to allow certain software/app to be installed the official should be able to utilize the phone they already have albeit at a now limited function of course. 

Yeah true. The Android vs. iPhone choice is probably a preference that varies by Command more than anything else. That and intranet/network compatibility.

His old phone could only email... And only email people that worked at the White House. 

I know a guy. 

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Most of Android's security issues boils down to two problems: there's no easy way to push updates because everyone's at the mercy of their carrier and manufacturer (except for Google phones, to a point) and the fact that apps require your permissions to run and few people actually stop and think about what permissions are being asked. They must have this app but it's looking into your contacts when it doesn't need to.

Things like StageFright are the exception, not the norm. It wouldn't surprise me if iOS or Windows Phone has a similar bug that nobody's found yet. Plus StageFright used an exploit that shouldn't have been a thing in the first place (why would you want automatic media downloads on a metered network?... oh wait, this was a time when we had "unlimited data" plans)

So a custom ROM would make sense using Android as a basis.

Marshmallow changes the app permission model significantly, so that should no longer be a problem. Although if this phone is running a custom secure Android version, it's probably an older version.

He's supposed to be the president. Why doesn't he make his own damn mind up.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

11 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

-snip-

Terribly insecure, for a president, not the masses :P

Groomlake Authority

Already saw this on Jimmy Fallon.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

26 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

He's supposed to be the president. Why doesn't he make his own damn mind up.

Cos they don't want him to leak information or have him talk to the press without his chief of staff agreeing.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It could be just to connect to secure networks via  VPN to check emails or use a secure VoIP line. Anything other than that is terribly insecure.

And it probably is exactly that. Same how carriers have VPN and you can't call anyone outside of it. It's not unheard of. Actually it's pretty common. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Cos they don't want him to leak information or have him talk to the press without his chief of staff agreeing.

But he's the president. Surely its pretty much his say so anyway.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

5 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

I'm kidding.... It's done so nobody can intercept the president's communication.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Marshmallow changes the app permission model significantly, so that should no longer be a problem. Although if this phone is running a custom secure Android version, it's probably an older version.

The only difference is you give permissions at the time the app requests the thing in question rather than everything up front when you download it off the store, but it still doesn't solve the problem that people don't read what they're agreeing to or think about it.

48 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The only difference is you give permissions at the time the app requests the thing in question rather than everything up front when you download it off the store, but it still doesn't solve the problem that people don't read what they're agreeing to or think about it.

You can't solve human errors. You never can.

But I do think the Marshmallow model gives the user the ability to download an app without just doing a "Agree to all" as you rush to try out this new app and you are presented with each permission individually allowing you to think "does this flashlight app really need to see my contacts and send text messages?".

17 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no calls........what DOES it do? 

Secure government emails. That's probably about it.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

But I do think the Marshmallow model gives the user the ability to download an app without just doing a "Agree to all" as you rush to try out this new app and you are presented with each permission individually allowing you to think "does this flashlight app really need to see my contacts and send text messages?".

If anything, Marshmallow may make the  problem worse because people find anything that requires their permission annoying, even if they should really stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

Security and convenience is a huge UX problem.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If anything, Marshmallow may make the  problem worse because people find anything that requires their permission annoying, even if they should really stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

Of course, it's annoying. It's like any other agreement or prompt. All those license agreements you have to accept are annoying. All the admin prompts you need to accept to install software. And how you need to be on your toes to avoid it installing third-party crapware if you forget to uncheck a box.

So many nuisances but it's a problem you can't solve. It's either security OR convenience. It's virtually impossible to have both. For example, finger print scanner: very convenient, not so secure. It's the nature of the beast.

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Most calls and data that the phones use are routed through the Military's Telnet service also enhancing its security.

"Military's Telnet service..."

"...enhancing its security"

>telnet

>security

giphy.gif

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

3 hours ago, PCgamer324 said:

>telnet

>security

giphy.gif

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Presumably this is an abbreviation for "telecommunications network", because actual "telnet" is a fucking massive security hole (due to being completely unencrypted).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

9 hours ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Nope the president is bound by laws, he does not the power that you suggest.

All powers of the president are described here: Article II Section II

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no calls........what DOES it do? 

Sounds just like an IPhone. Cos they all broken lol #nokialyfe

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

13 hours ago, Trixanity said:

8 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Of course, it's annoying. It's like any other agreement or prompt. All those license agreements you have to accept are annoying. All the admin prompts you need to accept to install software. And how you need to be on your toes to avoid it installing third-party crapware if you forget to uncheck a box.

So many nuisances but it's a problem you can't solve. It's either security OR convenience. It's virtually impossible to have both. For example, finger print scanner: very convenient, not so secure. It's the nature of the beast.

The Marshmallow update would have no bearing here since military or Government software does not accept upgrades the same way that civilian services does.

The Android version was originally based of the Android before Google bought it up and has not been updated by Google Android since. The entity that maintains Government and Military communications and computer systems manages all software updates on it own. One thing I can say is that they do take on certain aspects of upgrades from software makers such as Microsoft, Google's Android etc... and implements them in a timely fashion.

5 hours ago, PCgamer324 said:

>telnet

>security

<snip>

1 hour ago, Fetzie said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Presumably this is an abbreviation for "telecommunications network", because actual "telnet" is a fucking massive security hole (due to being completely unencrypted).

Yes I meant telecommunications network. :| 

Yes it is referred to as TelNet (there is another name but I cant say) because it s the US Army and everything we use is in jargon/shorthand/whatever you wanna call it. It weird to use as well, especially when wanting to call home, there are extra steps to take. I really wanna describe it as it is like a facepalm to techies to see what take place to use it. There is a simpler way to make it work but when you add automation security issue tend to crop up more easily. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER