4790K high temps

Go to solution Solved by Carl2608,
On 6/14/2016 at 1:02 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

Did the block get 

Reassembled incorrectly? You should be able to see many different rows of cooling channels in the jet plate opening. If you can only see a few then it is rotated on the base and needs to have the top rotated 90°. 

yeah, just disassembled it again, it was placed in the plastic pop ups inside the block. i did give it a thorough cleening though, remounted it and reapplied the TIM. It seems to have worked since the idle temps are about 29-35 (on average). I think the cause of this was either a clogged or a bad mount, or maybe a combination of both. 

ok, so as said in the title, my 4790k temps have skyrocketed in the last couple of weeks, since i changed out the block (EKWB Supremacy Evo) and the temps are hitting 95 degrees at 1.3 volts (4.8 Ghz). Annoying... Even at 1.140 volts it gets up ínto the high 70s. I have reapplied the thermal paste mutliple times now, no difference. any suggestions?

radiators: 1x 140, 45 mm - 1x 360, 38 mm - 1x 280, 45mm all with SP fans. 

2 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

ok, so as said in the title, my 4790k temps have skyrocketed in the last couple of weeks, since i changed out the block (EKWB Supremacy Evo) and the temps are hitting 95 degrees at 1.3 volts (4.8 Ghz). Annoying... Even at 1.140 volts it gets up ínto the high 70s. I have reapplied the thermal paste mutliple times now, no difference. any suggestions?

radiators: 1x 140, 45 mm - 1x 360, 38 mm - 1x 280, 45mm all with SP fans. 

Check your pump to ensure it is running it shouldn't get that hot, only other thing I can think of is the block is clogged or improperly mounted. 

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling Section- 

1 minute ago, mikat said:

dead pump?

no i wouldn't think so. Its quite weak below 1500 rpm, but above that it seems to work just fine.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Check your pump to ensure it is running it shouldn't get that hot, only other thing I can think of is the block is clogged or improperly mounted. 

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling Section- 

i have dissasembled and cleaned the block. Not the issue. although one thing struck me about the block, when looking at the thermal paste spread, its off to one side but not by a lot.

10 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

i have dissasembled and cleaned the block. Not the issue. although one thing struck me about the block, when looking at the thermal paste spread, its off to one side but not by a lot.

What temps do you get when you have everything at stock I assume that is load temps. 

13 hours ago, W-L said:

What temps do you get when you have everything at stock I assume that is load temps. 

mid to high 70s.

54 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

mid to high 70s.

Hmm if the pump and everything is working those would be temps expected when overclocked fairly high not stock. Is the proper mounting hardware, screwed down all the way, and the correct jet plates used inside the block

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Hmm if the pump and everything is working those would be temps expected when overclocked fairly high not stock. Is the proper mounting hardware, screwed down all the way, and the correct jet plates used inside the block

yup, replaced the jet for the proper one, makes no difference.

5 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

yup, replaced the jet for the proper one, makes no difference.

I'm suspecting that it's possibly a lack of mounting pressure or it being very uneven since you did mention that the thermal paste wasn't evenly spread over the entire IHS. For that usually a remount fixes it.

Do you have a photo of the loop sometimes that can give hints to what might be the issue.

You might also have an air lock somewhere.

Try jiggling your system to see you you can clear it...

27 minutes ago, W-L said:

19 minutes ago, W-L said:

I'm suspecting that it's possibly a lack of mounting pressure or it being very uneven since you did mention that the thermal paste wasn't evenly spread over the entire IHS. For that usually a remount fixes it.

Do you have a photo of the loop sometimes that can give hints to what might be the issue.

Yeah i can do that, but im not home right now. I can do it in a few hours.

11 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

You might also have an air lock somewhere.

Try jiggling your system to see you you can clear it...

Will definitely try that out. Thank you. 

Just now, W-L said:

Here are the pictures of the loop: Btw don't ask about the weird bend from the GPU to the 140, i don't have a rotary fitting so i can't make the tube go out from the top as it would kink.

20160613_133756.jpg

20160613_133750.jpg

20160613_144006.jpg

20160613_143941.jpg

Just now, W-L said:

i have an AIDA 64 stress test here. As you can see, with just 1.3 volts the system overheated almost instantly, and even hit 97 degrees on Core #2. 

Screenshot (7).png

6 hours ago, Carl2608 said:

i have an AIDA 64 stress test here. As you can see, with just 1.3 volts the system overheated almost instantly, and even hit 97 degrees on Core #2. 

That is peak but your avg is just above 80C which is reasonable, can you dial back the voltage of your overclock at all? 

One thing I do notice is your block is rotated while it works the orientation of the die underneath the IHS is not directly part of the flow path.

35 minutes ago, W-L said:

That is peak but your avg is just above 80C which is reasonable, can you dial back the voltage of your overclock at all? 

One thing I do notice is your block is rotated while it works the orientation of the die underneath the IHS is not directly part of the flow path.

The reason for taht average, i believe, is because i just started the test (shot taken at 53 sec) but it really creeps up after that

ok i will try and rotate the block. I cannot dial back the voltage at all, otherwise i loose my 4.8 Ghz OC. But even so i did some tests today to see the temps in different use case scenarios and here's what i got: idle - 40/45 degrees   simple tasks like opening Chrome - 60/70 degrees (it falls after that to about 45/50 after about 30 seconds)   Gaming (GTA V at high and Very high settings at 4K) - 80/90 degrees. 

8 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

The reason for taht average, i believe, is because i just started the test (shot taken at 53 sec) but it really creeps up after that

ok i will try and rotate the block. I cannot dial back the voltage at all, otherwise i loose my 4.8 Ghz OC. But even so i did some tests today to see the temps in different use case scenarios and here's what i got: idle - 40/45 degrees   simple tasks like opening Chrome - 60/70 degrees (it falls after that to about 45/50 after about 30 seconds)   Gaming (GTA V at high and Very high settings at 4K) - 80/90 degrees. 

I'm still suspecting a bad mount if your idle temps are at 40C, they shouldn't be much hotter than ambient maybe at most 5C of a loop with that many rads.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

I'm still suspecting a bad mount if your idle temps are at 40C, they shouldn't be much hotter than ambient maybe at most 5C of a loop with that many rads.

hmm... i'll try a few methods then. the thing i find weird is the fluctuation between the temps when idling, it tends to spike quite a bit...

Also, trying using less TIM maybe? Sometimes less is more.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

2 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Also, trying using less TIM maybe? Sometimes less is more.

tried 4 different thermal compound applications, from different amounts to different patterns

12 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

tried 4 different thermal compound applications, from different amounts to different patterns

Curious to know what TIM are you using? (Usually brand doesn't matter if the TIM is of good quality)

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

1 minute ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Curious to know what TIM are you using? (Usually brand doesn't matter if the TIM is of good quality)

Noctua NT-H1

Did the block get 

Reassembled incorrectly? You should be able to see many different rows of cooling channels in the jet plate opening. If you can only see a few then it is rotated on the base and needs to have the top rotated 90°. 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q