Zombie mods The Dark Carnival.. Roll up, roll up !.

ALXAndy

Update time. First up I have moved the 670s into my lovely lady's rig. In place I have a 7990.

DSC07557.jpg

But I wasn't happy with the fan I need to cool the northbridge, so I made one myself :)

How it looks now.

1-3.jpg

I wasn't pleased with it. The bracket was ghetto and the fan a little bit too big so it was at an angle.. Mod time.. Get out the orange plexi left over..

2-3.jpg

What I won't show is how I bent it, using our toaster. But basically I put the sheet in and heated it up enough so it was pliable, then set to work shaping it..

A lot of sculpting and cutting later.

3-2.jpg

It really won't make much sense right about now.

4-2.jpg

The fan it will use was tatty. I cut the frame off a week or so ago when starting the design.

6-1.jpg

Time to braid it, but first here's the back.

7-1.jpg

Time to put some paint on the bracket.

5-1.jpg

And the end result.

9-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

Of course it still won't make much sense, so it's time to add the fan on.

12-1.jpg

Which will be glued in place with some really strong contact adhesive.

13-1.jpg

If you cast your mind back to the first picture you will see how it will mount onto the 120mm fan, hanging it over the northbridge ;)

Amazing how such a small mod can look so god darn good tbh.

fantwo.jpg

It looks like it's floating :D

fanthree.jpg

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

^This, I like it! thumb.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm pretty thrilled with it !

One thing I did lose when I gave my lady the 670s was the braided PCIE cables. They were all six pin and the 7990 uses two 8 pin so I'm running the stock PSU cables atm and they're pretty nasty.

So to finish the rig off I bought some of the new Bitfenix Alchemys. They have red braided cable but also red plugs. I also bought a molex-sata power cable (again Bitfenix) so I can finally connect up my optical drive.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Pretty ingenious mount. Love it!

Build log

CPU: FX-6100 @ 3.9 MOBO: GA 990XA-UD3 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: HD6870 PSU: Corsair GS800 Case: Bitfenix Outlaw SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Cooling: Custom Water-Cooling Peripherals: Keyboard: G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Sensei Steering Wheel: Logitech G27 Sound: Speakers: Logitech x530 Headset: Razer Chimaera Monitor: Benq G2450HM, LG 32" TV

Thank you guys I appreciate your comments ! I'll post some pics of the whole rig soon (hopefully all finished) :)

Very nice! I love how you cool your norhbridge/VRMs!

Is it loud?

It's very quiet. It's an 80mm Xilence Redwing :)

I like that little fan mod nice job :)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I like that little fan mod nice job :)

hehe I did it again :D

So I was poking through my desk looking for stuff to throw out (was having a sort out) and remembered I had the 92mm Redwing that I was using on the northbridge. I used an 80mm as it fitted where it needed to go. Any way I started trying to conjure up a method of doing something similar with the 92mm fan for the memory.

I've always hated memory fans as they look so slapped on. So I decided to try and replicate what I'd done with the northbridge and make what appears to be a floating fan. first up was a way to mount it. Here are what will mount the fan. They're four VESA standoffs you use when mounting a monitor, but I found that you could hammer in a motherboard standoff quite tightly. So I bolted three standoffs together, hit them in with the hammer like this.

1.jpg

Time to hammer on and glue the second ones.

3.jpg

And done.

4.jpg

Where do they go? right here on two of the motherboard screw mounts.

5.jpg

The one on the left was too thick as there was a capacitor and fan plug in the way, so I just put it in the end of the drill and held some sandpaper on it to thin it down. Job's a goodun, mounts are on.

Time to free the fan from its ugly frame.

6.jpg

Braid it.

12.jpg

And prepare a piece of acrylic.

7.jpg

Drill the holes and test fit.

8.jpg

One, two, skip a few, 99 100. There wasn't really any need to show you me cutting it and sculpting it.

9.jpg

A little satin paint.

10.jpg

Whilst it was drying I designed the mounting system. It will use springs to dampen any vibrations.

11.jpg

Then it's time to glue the fan onto the mount.

13.jpg

14.jpg

And clamp it in place whilst it dries :)

16.jpg

15.jpg

More soon ;)

Glue is set.

fan1.jpg

And fitted.

DSC07676.jpg

Epic :D

fan2.jpg

Nice, you seem a little obsessed with fans but it sure does have a nice look to it :)

minty :)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Nice, you seem a little obsessed with fans but it sure does have a nice look to it :)

My rig is overclocked really hard mate. I can get 5.27ghz out of this chip and that means heat.

My rig is overclocked really hard mate. I can get 5.27ghz out of this chip and that means heat.

oh damn! nvm keep it up hopefully winter will help cool it down as well I know it has in Canada; 30cm tomorrow!

oh damn! nvm keep it up hopefully winter will help cool it down as well I know it has in Canada; 30cm tomorrow!

It just needs some air flow moving the heat along. Most of it comes off of the VRMs as they're pretty hefty :)

I'm hoping we get snow here in the UK. I always wanted to see the beach covered in snow and now I gots my chance as we're only 150ft from the ocean.

Time for another update :)

I ordered some more Alchemy cables. Two 8 pin all red and a molex to SATA braided extension so I could finally wire up my DVDRW.

cablespacked.jpg

Unpacked them.

cablesout.jpg

And set to work...

cablesloosefit.jpg

The back. It grows every time I get the rig down to work on it :D

cablesback.jpg

cablesdone.jpg

All good :)

I decided to order myself the window kit for the Colossus.

window.jpg

You can't really mod the stock panel and I want to keep the dust out..

Things I have planned are -

Hard drive bay cooler/cover.

PSU cover (all covers in red acrylic)

Lighting mods.

And so on. Be good guys !

It's my limited edition living dead doll that my lady bought for me :D

It's kinda like my mascot lol.

It's my limited edition living dead doll that my lady bought for me :D

It's kinda like my mascot lol.

you need a new mascot...  just get a potato chip and make that your mascot, classic ;)

you need a new mascot...  just get a potato chip and make that your mascot, classic ;)

I've had a few over the years. I used to have a NY Yankees Beanie baby with "Martinez" on his back. I have no idea who Martinez is given I'm English and always liked the Phillies. So basically I won him from a machine at the bowling alley and he was my mascot for several years. I had him strapped in the back of my car, so he's been about a bit (half way across the USA for example).

I also have a Ernie from Sessame St.

My living dead doll is my latest. You can see him here sitting inside my lady's rig :D

DSC07543.jpg

What do you think of the Arctic F12's? Thinking about buying some...

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II