Blue Snowball Review- The last microphone you'll ever need?

AlTech

The Blue Snowball is a microphone by, you guessed it, Blue Microphones.

And if you thought I was going to spoil something here then just read the whole thing xD (for what it's worth, I did consider spoiling the conclusion a bit)

And before we go any further, it just so happens that I'm in a punny mood cos my Blue Snowball is actually Blue. I'm not joking :).

You can thank Amazon for mine not being White since they refused to ship me any model except the pink one, the orange one or the blue one.

In the box you get very little except for the unit itself which you have to attach and put together.

I also bought a cheap Pop filter from Dragon Pad cos I was worried it would sound bad without it.

It does however take up a bit of desk space and does require some tinkering for you to put it in exactly the right spot. I say this because, otherwise you might have the mic too close to your keyboard OR too far away from you. Both of which can be problems for recording.

I wanted to test out the Blue Yeti and see how it sounded and so I did several things.

First of all I decided to play with some friends on Steam and used the Steam Voice Chat with my Snowball.

I played CS:GO , a game where communication is essential, in order to test it out. My friends could easily hear me when playing and had no difficulty hearing what I was saying. So far so good.

Next I wanted to install audacity so that I could see what it would be like in a semi-professional working environment.. For this test I recorded some dialog whilst running the air conditioning in the background and someone else was having as skype call a few rooms down the corridor (audible to me but not the snowball).

I exported it at the highest quality FLAC settings. Needless to say I am not the most confident person on earth when speaking into a microphone or speaking in general. It still sounded super good nonetheless.

Here is the recording -> Blue Snowball Test recording.flac

As you can no doubt tell it has good background noise isolation as both the air conditioning and skype call in another room was not audible. it only captured my voice.

It comes with 3 presets, I'll be honest, I never experimented with these and only used the 1st.

One thing to note is where Blue Microphones cut corners to save cost. Firstly, the snowball records 16 bit Audio, It also uses Polycarbonate plastic which also reduces costs and finally has no mute switch.

It also has one less preset than the Yeti as well as the Yeti using 3.5mm headphone jacks and AC power in vs the Snowball's USB Type B to USB A cable port.

The Blue Snowball also comes in a variety of colours such as blue, green, white and pink.

Conclusion:

The Blue Snowball is a great microphone. No scratch that, It's amazing. It is great for recording on YouTube, recording narration or sounds effect and is highly affordable. At half the price of the blue Yeti, it is something you seriously should consider if you need a microphone. It is wonderful to use and has no software at all included. This might sound bad but it's great because it just works and works really well. The LED above the Blue Logo helps to tell if it is working or not. the Microphone has a mostly solid build quality.

Sure, the Blue Yeti allegedly (from comparisons between the Blue Snowball and Yeti) sounds slightly better. But if you want an amazing Microphone for really cheap then this is the perfect Microphone for you.

So is this the last microphone you'll ever need? In most cases yes, this is perfect. If you are want to do Professional audio recording or singing, a professional grade microphone should be considered. Otherwise this is the last Microphone you'll ever need.

Thanks for reading and listening to my voice xD. Like this if you liked it! Leave a comment if you've had experiences with either the Blue snowball or Blue Yeti or if you have any questions about them.

I'm AluminiumTech and until next time, stay audible! :D

Link to buy it -> https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1465650206&sr=1-3&keywords=blue+snowball

Link to buy pop filter -> https://www.amazon.com/Dragonpad-filter-Microphone-Flexible-Gooseneck/dp/B008AOH1O6/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1465650206&sr=1-4&keywords=blue+snowball

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Sounds good! I remember swashin disliking this microphone, but I don´t know why anymore.

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

2 minutes ago, SQZY98 said:

Sounds good! I remember swashin disliking this microphone, but I don´t know why anymore.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, SQZY98 said:

He also hates the Yeti. To me it just kinda seems like "it's popular so that's why I don't like it" mentality.

He, and some other YouTubers, always hate on these two microphones to the point where they act like they are literally Hitler. Of course without saying what the better alternatives are..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

19 minutes ago, Minibois said:

He also hates the Yeti. To me it just kinda seems like "it's popular so that's why I don't like it" mentality.

He, and some other YouTubers, always hate on these two microphones to the point where they act like they are literally Hitler. Of course without saying what the better alternatives are..

I guess it's best to stay with the "Don't blindly believe what others say" guideline...or at least always use two/more resources. Objectivity is something to retain here, especially for people with huge audiences. *spreads hate and swims away*

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2016 at 3:11 PM, AluminiumTech said:

So is this the last microphone you'll ever need? In most cases yes, this is perfect. If you are want to do Professional audio recording or singing the Blue Yeti or Blue Yeti Pro should be considered. Otherwise this is the last Microphone you'll ever need.

I just saw this review today and when I saw this paragraph it made me laugh.

Seriously, if someone wants to do professional recordings, NONE of these mics will be what they want to get.  These mics are designed for amateurs and enthusiasts to use.

There are a ton of other mics out there on the market, of various types for a variety of uses.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 hours ago, ALwin said:

Seriously, if someone wants to do professional recordings, NONE of these mics will be what they want to get.  These mics are designed for amateurs and enthusiasts to use.

There are a ton of other mics out there on the market, of various types for a variety of uses.

Fixed that.

On 25/06/2016 at 11:24 PM, ALwin said:

Or even an amateur that wants the best sound quality and isolation

The snowball is the BOTTOM of acceptable microphones if we are being realistic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Or even an amateur that wants the best sound quality and isolation

The snowball is the BOTTOM of acceptable microphones if we are being realistic

Indeed, and some of the better ones cost less than a Yeti or Yeti Pro.

On June 26, 2016 at 4:18 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Fixed that.

Thank you.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Cool one! If i have free money will have one.xD