Don't upgrade if you don't need to!

I am constantly being asked by people whether they should buy the 1080 or 1070. Although this decision is an important one to make there is another aspect that must be taken in consideration.

A large amount of people asking about this upgrade are going from cards such as the GTX 670 or similar and are playing games such at CS:GO, League Of Legends and Dota 2. They don't spend too much time playing AAA titles and are only gaming oat 1080p anyways. 

Most of them are already running their games at 60+ fps at max settings meaning they are running the game better than the monitor can handle. To some I have suggested down sampling to 1080p from a higher resolutions as even their current car can handle those games. 

Some have come to me asking about this upgrade while they are sunning a core 2 duo and 4gb of ram...... we can all see where the bottleneck is here.

So this message goes out to all people looking to buy a 1070,1080  or simply upgrading your current.

As yourself these questions:

1. Are there any games I play that do not run at the settings I want?

2. Do I have the monitor to run at higher fps and higher resolutions?

3. Is my GPU even my main bottleneck or is it my RAM or CPU?

4. How much better of a car will I need? 

5. Will a previous gen card suffice my needs?

6. Should I upgrade my pc/monitor first?

Take in consideration these questions and you may be surprised that you may not need an upgrade or you may need to upgrade other bottlenecking components first.

Good luck on your purchasing decisions. 

I must admit, I do play Minecraft and such and I swear I see MC youtubers with 980Tis and shit... Why, I understand a 6700k or 5820k for rendering and recording but no need for the GPU.

Oh, if anyone wants a laugh go watch PrestonPlayz build a PC or be amazing at 160FPS on Bo3 maxed on the GTX1080.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I must admit, I do play Minecraft and such and I swear I see MC youtubers with 980Tis and shit... Why, I understand a 6700k or 5820k for rendering and recording but no need for the GPU.

If you run Minecraft with mods, they can get quite intensive! Then again I see Hearthstone players using sli 980 for some reason .... hmm 

Just now, Flavlus said:

If you run Minecraft with mods, they can get quite intensive! Then again I see Hearthstone players using sli 980 for some reason .... hmm 

CPU wise, while a GPU did help with Shaders, anything above a i3-6100 and R7 260x is useless for purely MC.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

CPU wise, while a GPU did help with Shaders, anything above a i3-6100 and R7 260x is useless for purely MC.

In a way yes. Go look at some of the mods out there that really make any pc struggle for power.

i must admit...i play way too much rocket league since i bought my 980ti :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You're not my real dad and you can't tell me what to do.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I totally agree. I have always said don't upgrade if you don't need to.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

Title kind of misled me. Upgrading just for the sake of upgrading is a good enough reason. :P

But yes, you brought up good points. Some people aren't fully aware of what to upgrade, and often don't make the wisest choice.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

1 minute ago, Brandonsr said:

Title kind of misled me. Upgrading just for the sake of upgrading is a good enough reason. :P

But yes, you brought up good points, it's best to make smarter upgrades

Im trying to make more people click and read it and be a bit more informed.