Why is VGA so bad?

Jizburg

i get that VGA does not have the same bandwidth as other outputs.
i have 2 screens one of them is VGA and the other one is DVI

both of them is 1080P and both of them are 60hz.

so.. my question is. why is VGA so hated if it works?

because it is anologue

and is limmited by the connector being shit

i guess its time for a tech quickie of this

LCDs are digital panels. While VGA are analogue connectors. Adapters are needed to convert the signal. And normally, the converters inside the displays are crap. Also, since VGA is an analogue standard, you need a good cable or the quality will suck. Digital standards like HDMI, the cables do not matter. 

Additionally, the pins in the cable always break.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

because it is anologue

and is limmited by the connector being shit

yes i know that.  but its still 1080p 60hz so whats the problem with that?

LCDs are digital panels. While VGA are analogue connectors. Adapters are needed to convert the signal. And normally, the converters inside the displays are crap. Also, since VGA is an analogue standard, you need a good cable or the quality will suck. Digital standards like HDMI, the cables do not matter. 

Additionally, the pins in the cable always break.

THANK YOU=) now i get it. i have never had any problem with my pins breaking but ok. so its a latensy issue?

Colour range, depth is limited, you cant create as many colours with a vga cable. A lot of quality is lost.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I think he means the physical connector. It just sucks.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

None that I know of.

Personal Rig

It isn't really as bad as people make it seem. They just like hopping on the bandwagon because of linus and in fear of what the community will think of them if they feel differently towards VGA. I use a dvi cable to my IPS monitor but i use a vga cable to my tv even thought my graphics card and tv supports HDMI. I can't seem to get hdmi to work properly. It looks so damn grainy. I know most people can't even tell the difference between the two but they still mouth off that VGA is crap because of the bandwagon mentality 

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Colour range, depth is limited, you cant create as many colours with a vga cable. A lot of quality is lost.

ah ok.

It isn't really as bad as people make it seem. They just like hopping on the bandwagon because of linus and in fear of what the community will think of them if they feel differently towards VGA. I use a dvi cable to my IPS monitor but i use a vga cable to my tv even thought my graphics card and tv supports HDMI. I can't seem to get hdmi to work properly. It looks so damn grainy. I know most people can't even tell the difference between the two but they still mouth off that VGA is crap because of the bandwagon mentality 

Yeah, older digital monitors had great converter and with a good cable it looked okay. But I hate it for its fragile pins. So many people have broke them so many times over the years at my school.

Personal Rig

ok. i use the VGA monitor as my gaming monitor because the contrast is awsome on this panel.

and i use the DVI monitor as my "video" monitor because its.. big. and has nice colours.

I used to have a 7600GS I'd run dual monitors off. It only had one DVI and the other was VGA. With identical monitors side by side, the VGA one was always a little less sharp. Ever since then, I just go straight to DVI. 

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I can't see difference between hdmi and vga in image quality.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Because it's outdated?  Why are CRT's bad lol..

if it works it works. i will not throw out a monitor just because the connector is outdated xD

CRTs have their uses but the reason i do not use my CRT is because i dont have any room on my desktop:P otherwise i would because dam that screen was good.. (and all but bulletproof xD)

ok. i use the VGA monitor as my gaming monitor because the contrast is awsome on this panel.

and i use the DVI monitor as my "video" monitor because its.. big. and has nice colours.

It's not even an Old tv. its from like 2010 haha. The picture quality looks fine when its from a ps3. But i just cant get that stupid graininess  problem with hdmi fixed

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

I can't see difference between hdmi and vga in image quality. It's same

run them side by sidesame monitor in a gaming senario im sure there are more things u can do to compare

in a normal windows situation i cant tell the difference

CRTs aren't bad?

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

I used to have a 7600GS I'd run dual monitors off. It only had one DVI and the other was VGA. With identical monitors side by side, the VGA one was always a little less sharp. Ever since then, I just go straight to DVI. 

thank you=)

run them side by sidesame monitor in a gaming senario im sure there are more things u can do to compare

in a normal windows situation i cant tell the difference

If you need to run a side by side comparison to tell the difference in games, You must be playing the worst game in the world where the SLIGHTEST difference in picture quality throws you off the games immersiveness 

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

i get that VGA does not have the same bandwidth as other outputs.

i have 2 screens one of them is VGA and the other one is DVI

both of them is 1080P and both of them are 60hz.

so.. my question is. why is VGA so hated if it works?

watch this and you won't want to use vga again:

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

CRTs aren't bad?

lol i got a notification saying that you quoted my post xD

though it wasnt me

I'll just tell you this:

I was having a LAN party with some of my friends, and I looked at one of my friends' monitors and noticed that the image quality looked like absolute shit.

I asked him what resolution he was running at, he didn't know so we checked and he was apparently running at full resolution (1080p) even though it looked like 720p!

Then I noticed that he was running the monitor with a VGA cable, so I borrowed him a DVI cable to try instead and as soon as we plugged it in the quality was MUCH sharper and looked like actual 1080p.

Basically, VGA might be capable of running full HD but it doesn't look a damn like it.

My rig: Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 - Military Green | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.4GHz | Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC | RAM: Corsair 16GB 1600MHz Vengeance | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX | PSU: Corsair AX 750W SSD 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 2: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB Cooler: Corsair H100 OS: Windows 10 Pro | Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PWM

Peripherals: Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | Headset: Audio Technica ATH-AD700X | Microphone: Antlion ModMic 4.0 | Mouse mat: Steelseries QcK+ | Monitors: BenQ XL2411T + EIZO Foris FS2331

HEY HEY PEOPLE

stop it with Connector discrimination 

people have lived with VGAs for a long time and they like it ok !

i came out of the closet as a VGA user my self and all i got was flak

even my parents disowned me

but thanks to the Analog community i got all the support i need

stop it with the Analogphobia

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.