Windows Server 2016 vs Windows 10?

Hi,

So I've got this PC:

gigabyte z97x gaming 7 mobo

i5-4460 3.2 cpu

32gb dominator platinum low latency 1866mhz ram (4x8 sticks)

evga gold+ 1000w psu

Samsung 850 EVO sata iii ssd primary boot sect (OS)

seagate 1tb sshd storage secondary sect (no OS)

air cooled, carbide 400r series case

gtx-750 ti gpu

Would it be a good idea to put Windows Server 2016 x64 on my PC (instead of windows 10 x64)? Since I've got a legit copy of Windows Server 2016 and I thought I'd make use of it.

Compared to Windows 10, what should I expect? If I install the latest drivers on Windows Server 2016, would there be a major difference in terms of system boot time, system responsiveness / quickness, 3d graphical work (fps) and stuff?

On a side note, I hate the "apps" in Windows 8/8.1/10. So take that into consideration.

Thank you.

The only difference is that server comes with the server manager preinstalled. Every thing else can be changed to make just like windows 10(you will have to change lots of group policy). Its the same speed and kernel. Also sometimes drives can be a pain with server on a desktop, so id stick with windows 10 if you have the choice.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The only difference is that server comes with the server manager preinstalled. Every thing else can be changed to make just like windows 10(you will have to change lots of group policy). Its the same speed and kernel. Also sometimes drives can be a pain with server on a desktop, so id stick with windows 10 if you have the choice.

That answer covered almost everything I wanted to know but there's a few more things.

- What about the personalization settings? Will I have the same options as in Windows 10? (just asking because in Windows Server 2008 the personalization feature was completely strippd down)

- What about the unnecessary apps? Will I still have those? Or Will they be removed and I'll regain some nice amount of free space on my SSD? Because my SSD is only 256gb which is pretty bad.

1 minute ago, HectorElFather said:

That answer covered almost everything I wanted to know but there's a few more things.

- What about the personalization settings? Will I have the same options as in Windows 10? (just asking because in Windows Server 2008 the personalization feature was completely strippd down)

- What about the unnecessary apps? Will I still have those? Or Will they be removed and I'll regain some nice amount of free space on my SSD? Because my SSD is only 256gb which is pretty bad.

Yes, you have all the personalization, but you might have to enable the feature in server manager.

It won't have most of the apps that windows 10 have, but it still has the app system. Those apps don't take up much space anyways. If you want to save space shrink the page file, disable hibernation or store more on your hdd.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yes, you have all the personalization, but you might have to enable the feature in server manager.

It won't have most of the apps that windows 10 have, but it still has the app system. Those apps don't take up much space anyways. If you want to save space shrink the page file, disable hibernation or store more on your hdd.

Thanks. Well I always disable hibernation but I've never moved page file to a different drive. Hmm, that sounds like a viable solution I think. But in case I move the page file to the SSHD (secondry drive w/o OS) will the programs still "see/recognize" it? Because some programs really look for page file and if there's none they might function at lower performance or even crash, for example GTA V.

2 minutes ago, HectorElFather said:

Thanks. Well I always disable hibernation but I've never moved page file to a different drive. Hmm, that sounds like a viable solution I think. But in case I move the page file to the SSHD (secondry drive w/o OS) will the programs still "see/recognize" it? Because some programs really look for page file and if there's none they might function at lower performance or even crash, for example GTA V.

Id just make it smaller, like 8gb. Also the programs don't know where it is, and they can't control it. The kernel is the one who decides to page memory or not.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just make it smaller, like 8gb. Also the programs don't know where it is, and they can't control it. The kernel is the one who decides to page memory or not.

Ok thanks for the answers.

Just dont, there is no reason to run a server os on your main rig. Its not like lots of things wont run on it or crash etc but there really is no reason to. Thrust me, I ran windows server 2012 for some time as a main os on my gaming rig for the same reason as you want to. 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Get Windows 10 Pro if you can, download Destroy Windows Spying (Look it up on privacytools.io) and get rid of the apps and disable the app store.

Windows server is designed for servers, not desktops while I have heard of some success of people turning the system into gaming system but it sounds like a lot more work than what its worth.

As for performance you wont see any performance improvements, sure there is less resource overhead but you may not get drivers working or even the applications you need, you cant really compare it also to resource management on Linux which can be less easily.

Server is based on background tasks as that is how servers work.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

• 1 year later...

In the signt of windows telemetry which I hate, I'd recommend either Windows 10 Enterprise (standard or LTSB), or Education, or Windows Server 2016 - in these you can set telemetry level 0 in the group politics, this effectively disable any background stuff except very basic like anonymous ID and system install data, and if Windows Defender disabled, no compat data or system scan data send to MS.

For gaming in explicitly Steam or classic games, I'd rather recommend Windows 8.1 Pro, it's MUCH more polished, has better compatibility, more stable and in general have more in line with previous versions of Windows, but has the same advanced system servicing programs and almost as new core as Windows 10.