Best thing you've bought for under $150

zachmullin
56 minutes ago, RahulR said:

I know the 660 is probably faster, and I know that %10 overclock doesn't mean +%10 performance. I said that when buying the card we looked at just the specs and not the benchmarks and that we wanted a 4GB card. I still don't think it's "the worst card" for price to performance. Either way, it's a pretty decent card that keeps up with most games I play. 

I wouldn't call that card decent, I previously linked some cards and all these would completely crush that 740.

If you want more proof that the 4GB of VRAM is useless, look at this video, it's in Spanish but if you scroll to 11:30 you will see the graphs, GTA V has LESS frame per second with the 4GB superclock... though it could easily fall into normal variations you can see from one run to another. In the end, that card isn't worth it, even with the other games that seem to benefit the added VRAM.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

My phone

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

• 3 weeks later...

My best buy at $150 was a used i7-4790. The guy had just upgraded to the K edition with custom cooling so he no longer needed it. It is what I'm using in my current rig, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Tied between my cherry blue keyboard and my mouse pad. When paired with my g502, tracking is insane and I'm so accurate, which is important in the FPS games I play. 

ASU

I bought the NZXT IU01.. Since Corsair decided to remove the PSU link plug from the H100 V2. 

I bought it to expand my 1 USB 2 plug on my mobo. 

Picked up an MSI laptop, BenQ 24 inch LED monitor, Razer Lycosa keyboard, Steel Series Cataclysm mouse & a set of 2.1 speakers for $100 a few years back. Laptop had a busted screen but that was fine, I only wanted it as a Plex server.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Bought a LG V410 tablet for $100 with 4G LTE capability.  And a T-Mobile SIM for $5 for "Free Data For Life" (200mb monthly data).  Rooted it, installed Cyanogenmod 13 (Android Marshmellow), and voila, I have basically a mobile device with 4G LTE service that doesn't cost me anything on a recurring basis.  Can even make VoIP calls on it. 

Works great for my purposes, and, I'd argue, it would be something great to give to a teenager or just to have around in case your cell phone dies/gets lost/stolen/etc.  With no surprises at the end of the month if you use too much data (you don't even have to give them a credit card or any billing info for that matter unless you want to purchase a one-time data pass!).   Great if you're a foreigner too and just visit the USA on holidays.  For less than most people pay for 2 months of a smart-phone plan, I have ownership of my hardware and free service indefinitely instead of being on the phone "hamster wheel".

The specs of the tablet aren't particularly sexy -- 16gb flash, 1gb RAM, quad-core Snapdragon processor, but the screen is good quality (LG 1280x720 IPS), and you can add a SD card (I have a 64gb one).  The 7" screen is barely bigger than most phones, but the battery life is very nice.

Hmm.  What else.  Bought a half dozen IBM Model M keyboards at one of those computer shops on Queen Street downtown T.O. for $5 a piece in the early 2000s.  And picked up a nice Supermicro Ivy Bridge server motherboard for $35 off of eBay a few weeks ago. 

Recently it's an Advent keyboard from Currys for £5.99 it's a stop gap while I save for a mechanical Corsair keyboard, however it is brilliant to type on, for a membrane it has a feel unlike any other, it's solid and excellent in a no frills but well-engineered kind of way.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I brought a ACHIEVA Shimian 27" Monitor QH270 2560x1440 for $Au150 second hand , great monitor hasn't missed a beat yet

planning to update it soon to a bugger 4k Korean model soon :D

On 6/9/2016 at 5:18 PM, byalexandr said:

Bought my R9 380 Compact for $150. 850 EVO was $150 as well. My R9 290 was $170 but that was an excellent card, very loud though.

This is a late reply, but I'm just curious why you bought an r9 380 2gb when the r9 290 is better?

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

7 hours ago, Hero7750 said:

This is a late reply, but I'm just curious why you bought an r9 380 2gb when the r9 290 is better?

For my custom case (needed a really, really short GPU):

DSC_0008.jpg

Either my SE215's or my HD-7970. I can't decide.

I used to be quite active here.

Second hand dt990 pros for ~110€

or razer orbweaver. It's expensive for what it is but damn is it comfortable. 

Have to edit in the ol ssd. Those things are gold. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Angled USB 3.0 jacks for my laptop. 3 usd for 2.
Extension plugs for ethernet. Around 2 usd for 10.
Mosquito nets for all my windows.
USB 3.0 splitter, into 3 usb's and 1 ethernet. Great for troubleshooting.

Pizza. <3

51 minutes ago, Nup said:

Second hand dt990 pros for ~110€

or razer orbweaver. It's expensive for what it is but damn is it comfortable. 

Have to edit in the ol ssd. Those things are gold. 

I want an Orbweaver.. I'm just scared I wont like it, because of the switches being too loud. Still dont want membrane though.. :(

15 minutes ago, I love you said:

I want an Orbweaver.. I'm just scared I wont like it, because of the switches being too loud. Still dont want membrane though.. :(

They are somewhat loud. Although it's not as bad a an mx blue keyboard (you're not typing as aggressively). And if you play with headphones you'll quickly forget them ;) here's a great review if you need any more convincing! :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

A idk"in monitor for Free dollars and Free cents from a friend. He bought a new one.

Ok but seriously the MSI GeForce GT 730 2GB Video Card. It's only $70 US and it runs GTA 5 at 30 fps. And Gmod (my life) at about 120-90 offline and 60-45 online. It's not the best for its price range but i bought all my pc parts at once and i changed this at the last second.       7/10

Is what i previously thought. Now i know this thing is absolute garbage. 5/10

dual socket 1366 supermicro server board for $25 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Gtx 970 6gb for 147$ only was on huge rebate and I succeed to get it instead of the gtx 960 I intended to buy... Wait few month and buy the-rx 470

My pok3r keyboard from Vortex, it was about 120 I think? It was so long ago I can't remember. The construction of the keyboard is superb, super solid, nice and small and it has a slew of nice features.

15 hours ago, TITANB said:

Gtx 970 6gb for 147$ only was on huge rebate and I succeed to get it instead of the gtx 960 I intended to buy... Wait few month and buy the-rx 470

6GB? o.O The GTX 970 only comes in a 4GB variant (or 3.5GB+0.5GB) and not anything else.. Unless you are talking about the the GTX 970M (a laptop GPU, so doubt it) that does have 6GB VRAM... Also, the RX 470 will likely not perform as good as the GTX 970, considering the RX 480 performs on GTX 970 level.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 6/12/2016 at 5:27 PM, Minibois said:

just.. how?

Especially curious on the GPU

Make that £40 on the 2670 straight from the china and got a 770 for £63. Faulty, RMA'd it and so I got the 970 for £70 with the postage costing 6.55

Steve

On 7/2/2016 at 4:26 PM, byalexandr said:

For my custom case (needed a really, really short GPU):

DSC_0008.jpg

Is that a fucking NUC or Brix with a graphics card? M.2 to PCIe adapter? I've wanted to do that too, but the price of the shit....