[Rumour] Apple to get rid of 11" MacBook Air in favor of a 15" variant

Djole123

So, Apple wants to get rid of their netbook, the 11" MacBook Air. 

Apple will announce the 13" MacBook with 8G of RAM for the same price, but the 11" model won't receive any major upgrades.

Why? Well, Apple was rumored to make a 15" MacBook Air because its flagship tablet (the original iPad Pro) is bigger than the smaller MacBook Pro, so they had to do something.

So, goodbye 11" MacBook Air, hello 15" MacBook Air!

Netbooks are officialy dead if Apple decides that 11" MacBooks should no longer be on the market, but still, this is one heavily overpriced netbook.

I'm actually curious how thin will it be compared to other 15" laptops. What do you think? Is this a smart move?

Source:

http://wccftech.com/apple-rid-11inch-macbook-air-family-larger-notebook/

Edited by Blade of Grass
Added rumour to title

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

well that doesnt fuck up their models names anymore than the iPad: Thinest air in the atmosphere 34 33" screen varient with USB type D

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Air used to be a premium model, now it's the entry/mid tier model so yeah they had to do something with some of the old products to move them to their new segment.

iPad Pro<MBA<MB<MBP

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

It's probably because it was cannibalizing the (much worse) macbook's sales. As for the new format, I wouldn't buy an ultraslim 15" laptop - it doesn't make too much sense to me, 13" seems just right for portability, which is all these laptops are about. I suppose people with worse eyesight may prefer the larger screen, but then again 15" isn't that big either.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

they should bring back the 17" form 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just update the Airs to Retina displays. @timcook

Just now, Kimmers said:

Just update the Airs to Retina displays. @timcook

yes, and the 11" macbook is great, i use it every day for school and it's super nice because it's so small, the rest of my school has the old white macbooks or iPads, both horrible, a retina display + 11" MBA would be the greatest thing apple has ever made :)

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

yes, and the 11" macbook is great, i use it every day for school and it's super nice because it's so small, the rest of my school has the old white macbooks or iPads, both horrible, a retina display + 11" MBA would be the greatest thing apple has ever made :)

Yup! I don't need the horsepower of the Pro and the lack of connectivity on the MacBook is concerning. I've spent a lot of money on electronics but my MBA sustains daily abuse and it's one of the best computers I have ever used. A Retina MBA will do me for a lonnggg time.

Just now, Kimmers said:

Yup! I don't need to horsepower of the Pro and the lack of connectivity on the MacBook is concerning. I've spent a lot of money on electronics but my MBA sustains daily abuse and it's one of the best computers I have ever used. A Retina MBA will do me for a lonnggg time.

yup, and even a 1080p 11" mba would be a huge upgrade for programming :D

huh I have always liked the idea behind the macbook air, but the screen and CPU has just been a no go for me, maybe they will change that this gen then.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, ITheSpazI said:

well that doesnt fuck up their models names anymore than the iPad: Thinest air in the atmosphere 34 33" screen varient with USB type D

vertical usb ports. 30 of them

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

5 minutes ago, mikat said:

what are you doing on it that makes you wanna get a quad core?

I don't need a quad core, the CPUs they have put in the air has been under 2GHz typically. I can use a quadcore with no problem for 3D work, I can make my 4770k OC to 4.5GHz run at 90-100%. I just want them to put some faster CPUs in them.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

I don't need a quad core the CPUs they have put in the air has been under 2GHz typically. I can use a quadcore with no problem for 3D work, I can make my 4770k OC to 4.5GHz run at 90-100%. I just want them to put some faster CPUs in them.

with that form factor, you're limited to 15 watt chips :)

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

with that form factor, you're limited to 15 watt chips :)

yeah I know, but you can still get 15w CPUs with a higher bass clock than 1.6GHz... I think most ULV CPUs are over 2GHz today.

1 minute ago, mikat said:

the i7-6660U has intel iris 520 graphics and a clock speed of 3.4 Ghz, double that of my i5-3317U :(

A smaller bezel would also be nice and a option for 16gb of ram would also be great. The 3.4GHz is boost.

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yeah I know, but you can still get 15w CPUs with a higher bass clock than 1.6GHz... I think most ULV CPUs are over 2GHz today.

Uh, you do know that the SKUs Apple puts in their laptops are much better than those on Windows OEMs? They're all 15W but most OEMs use 6200U or 6500U SKUs which means HD 520 graphics whereas Apple uses 6260U or 6560U. They are also 15W but has HD 540 graphics meaning double the EUs and much higher graphical horse power. At best you sacrifice a couple of 100 MHz but gain much higher GPU performance and besides, it's all about turbo boost and not base frequency and the 6260U has higher turbo than 6200U meaning in workloads where you need the extra juice, you'll have it.

Edit: not to mention that it also has eDRAM now which also gives a good boost to performance.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Uh, you do know that the SKUs Apple puts in their laptops are much better than those on Windows OEMs? They're all 15W but most OEMs use 6200U or 6500U SKUs which means HD 520 graphics whereas Apple uses 6260U or 6560U. They are also 15W but has HD 540 graphics meaning double the EUs and much higher graphical horse power. At best you sacrifice a couple of 100 MHz but gain much higher GPU performance and besides, it's all about turbo boost and not base frequency and the 6260U has higher turbo than 6200U meaning in workloads where you need the extra juice, you'll have it.

Yeah they have better iGPUs, but they are still pretty crappy. Given the cooling I have seen on macbooks through the years, I don't think that it will be able to run the CPU at that boost clock for longer periodes.

13 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah they have better iGPUs, but they are still pretty crappy. Given the cooling I have seen on macbooks through the years, I don't think that it will be able to run the CPU at that boost clock for longer periodes.

The CPU part or the GPU part is crappy? In either case: 15W is what you can get in a thin design like that (and it is the best the market has to offer). You did mention that you would want a design with higher clocks and I assume we're still talking at 15W or else we're moving into different territory. I mean we are discussing thin laptops, correct?

So if we are talking 15W processors, the SKUs Apple use are much better. There is pretty much nothing to debate on that. In situations where you're CPU limited, you'll probably get similar performance from the 6260U and in situations where you are GPU limited, you'll get much better performance from the 6260U. It's a win-win. In only rare occasions will you hammer the CPU enough to make the 6260U throttle below a 6200U. Keep in mind the lower base clock is in place because the CPU and iGPU share TDP, so you would have to be gaming or a similar simultaneous workload to force the CPU to use base clocks but then you'll still be better off with the much better iGPU than the few 100 MHz you lose.

As for thin laptops: unless you design a really good cooling system, you are limited to lower power SKUs. You might be able to push a TDP of 25 or so into a chassis like that considering that HP could fit a 15W CPU into their latest Spectre but you would need to be clever about it.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The CPU part or the GPU part is crappy? In either case: 15W is what you can get in a thin design like that (and it is the best the market has to offer). You did mention that you would want a design with higher clocks and I assume we're still talking at 15W or else we're moving into different territory. I mean we are discussing thin laptops, correct?

So if we are talking 15W processors, the SKUs Apple use are much better. There is pretty much nothing to debate on that. In situations where you're CPU limited, you'll probably get similar performance from the 6260U and in situations where you are GPU limited, you'll get much better performance from the 6260U. It's a win-win. In only rare occasions will you hammer the CPU enough to make the 6260U throttle below a 6200U. Keep in mind the lower base clock is in place because the CPU and iGPU share TDP, so you would have to be gaming or a similar simultaneous workload to force the CPU to use base clocks but then you'll still be better off with the much better iGPU than the few 100 MHz you lose.

As for thin laptops: unless you design a really good cooling system, you are limited to lower power SKUs. You might be able to push a TDP of 25 or so into a chassis like that considering that HP could fit a 15W CPU into their latest Spectre but you would need to be clever about it.

I know all of this. Yeah the iGPU is better and all that, but it is still not a powerful GPU, so on that part I could not really give less fucks, if I saw some iris pro graphics I would be more excited about the iGPU part and trust me I can push a CPU to it's limet.

Yeah the formfactor is the limet that is why I would only use this type of laptop for light work like school work and maybe some simple google sketchup, not any of my CAD work, I stream my desktop to my laptop for that even though my laptop has a quadro.

And the cooling design for macbooks is just plain bad, some vents on the bottom would really help.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

It's probably because it was cannibalizing the (much worse) macbook's sales. As for the new format, I wouldn't buy an ultraslim 15" laptop - it doesn't make too much sense to me, 13" seems just right for portability, which is all these laptops are about. I suppose people with worse eyesight may prefer the larger screen, but then again 15" isn't that big either.

Do you have number on Macbook sales?  I have seen you claim the sales were bad a few times but never seen any solid numbers backing that up. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

3 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Air used to be a premium model, now it's the entry/mid tier model so yeah they had to do something with some of the old products to move them to their new segment.

iPad Pro<MBA<MB<MBP

I'm pretty sure it's MB<MBA<MBP

5 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Why? Well, Apple was rumored to make a 15" MacBook Air because its flagship tablet (the original iPad Pro) is bigger than the smaller MacBook Pro, so they had to do something.

iPad Pro is bigger than 13" MacBook pro?