Why is B&H selling the 1070 FE for $618?

greaves1111

I thought the pricetag was $449.

Do all retailers mark up the cards that much at release? I'm looking to get a partner card preferrably, and was hoping to get one roughly in the price range nvidia announced. 600 seems high, no?

in germany its about 700 for a 3rd party card and 750 for the fanboy edition.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

It's called supply and demand fam

Thanks. So, retailers do usually mark up that much higher than the MSRPs? That was the question. This is my first time buying a card right at release!

It will go down (at a point of time) 

remember the price of the 3rd part cards for the 1080 well..... https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Graphics-08G-P4-6286-KR/dp/B01GAI64GO/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465406436&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+1080

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

Not for GTX 1070.

That card isn't even out for orders yet lol.

I guess you said those prices for GTX 1080.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Not for GTX 1070.

That card isn't even out for orders yet lol.

I guess you said those prices for GTX 1080.

ah my bad

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

6 minutes ago, greaves1111 said:

Thanks. So, retailers do usually mark up that much higher than the MSRPs? That was the question. This is my first time buying a card right at release!

No, official retailers will sell it at retail price when it's actually on sale.  Retailers often list the products at higher prices, but don't allow the product to be bought.  They will set it to the correct price when they are actually selling the product.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, greaves1111 said:

Its happened before. There is no rule that says they can't jack up the price as much as they want when a new product with extremely high demand and little supply launches. Buying a card at release isn't a great idea for a number of reasons, but if you need the upgrade you need the upgrade.

5 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No, official retailers will sell it at retail price when it's actually on sale.

Hmm. B&H is listed as an official retailer for the 1080 on nvidia's site. I set up an alert to get notified when the 1070 preorders went up, and I when I got that notice, they were listed at $618.38.

Needless to say, I don't mind waiting until I can get it for a price a bit closer to what was announced. I'm just wondering how all that works for retailers. I already know that they are going to be heavily marked up on places like ebay and craigslist.

Thanks again for the info

2 minutes ago, greaves1111 said:

Hmm. B&H is listed as an official retailer for the 1080 on nvidia's site. I set up an alert to get notified when the 1070 preorders went up, and I when I got that notice, they were listed at $618.38.

Needless to say, I don't mind waiting until I can get it for a price a bit closer to what was announced. I'm just wondering how all that works for retailers. I already know that they are going to be heavily marked up on places like ebay and craigslist.

Thanks again for the info

If they made sales at that price then they will probably be in a bit of trouble.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If they made sales at that price then they will probably be in a bit of trouble.

I guess I should mention that the listing is a dead page now, lol, but yes on June 7th at 4:21am, I got a notice that the pre-order was up and how much it cost.

11 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

Its happened before. There is no rule that says they can't jack up the price as much as they want when a new product with extremely high demand and little supply launches. Buying a card at release isn't a great idea for a number of reasons, but if you need the upgrade you need the upgrade.

Thanks. Yes, good advice. I am anxious for the upgrade, but I'll wait it out if I have to!

40 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

It's illegal if they are an official vendor of the product.

45 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

ah my bad

Well, here on Spain it's 780 euros for FE and 800 for the MSI Gaming X. I'll wait a week or two for prices to stabilize a bit before buying one.

the price will go down for sure when most retailers.... get a decent stock of cards ... before launch the gtx 1080 .......where i live..... was expensive.... like 800 euro for FE...  right now i can buy it for  670 euro...  for the sc model...  which is nice... but i will w8 a little bit more... so the price comes down even further.... bellow 650 euro.... then it will be worth it... but i think.... the best option ... right now is... to buy a 1070... a save up some money for the 1080ti... which is rumoured to be released by the end of the year...and its going to be fast as F**** .... so the 1080 will become obsolete quickly....but if u have money to spend go ahead a buy it....

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

1 hour ago, ChrisCross said:

Oh, I love that xD

'Fanboy Edition'

?