What is Your Preferred Aspect Ratio?

CwGoh

Really depends on what I'm doing. 16:9 for gaming (I only have a 1080p hooked up to my current outdated rig) but 16:10 for productivity (we can all appreciate a few extra pixels  :) and it's the built-in screen for my work laptop) but I do really want a 21:9 monitor for productivity. 

But, I don't have a "favourite" I just use what ever I have  :D

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I watch a lot of movies at my PC, so anything other than 16:9 results in unacceptably excessive letterboxing. I'd love to have enough room for two 21:9 monitors, but unfortunately that isn't possible at the moment.

Is there, 'I don't care, I just buy the cheapest monitor I can find.' option?

I have a Dell U2412M (1920x1200) right now and I'm loving it. 16:10 definitely, because of the extra vertical pixels. I would buy an 1:1 one if there was one, like 1920x1920. That would be quite nice ;)

It seems to me like a few people here are wanting 21:9 ratio panels. Which I can sort of see why. It basically gets you a dualmonitor setup without the bezels.

I am personally using a Dell U2711 (16:9, 1440p) with a second lined up as soon as I get myself a new desk for a two monitor setup. But whenever people are looking for new monitors, then I tell them to get a 16:10 ratio, because those extra 120 pixels that you get between a 1080p and a 1200p monitor do matter.

Games can scale to whatever aspect ratio, videos can't. Most video content is in 16:9 or 21:9 and I only really watch 21:9 content on my TV not my computer monitor. So 16:9 for me.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On a desktop I prefer 21:9, but on a notebook I prefer 3:4 or 16:10

5:4 I currently use 2 1280x1024 monitors; this is great for viewing articles and working with documents as I get plenty of vertical space.

I agree with you 5:4 works great for me, it gives me a lot of space to have two windows side-by-side for programming and reading web pages

I want 16:10 for laptops or small monitors, but I think I prefer 16:9 for full sized desktops.

3:2 (like on ChromeBook Pixel) or 16:10 (second choice)

I need more SSDs.

16:10 all the way. Next monitor will be 1600P IPS for sure!

16:9 is too narrow imo. Maybe it just takes time getting used to it but dem extra pixels @ 16:10!!

who cares...

But the black bars... There is so much 16:9 content out there.

dat sinumatic feel, yo'

I use to have 4 20' 1600x900 monitors, 3 of them in NVidia Suround, but then I realized I could only see half of my 2 outer monitors in game and on the desktop, one corner was SO far away from the other corner. so then i got the AOC 21:9 monitor and an Acer 1920x1080. That gave me the screen space I wanted. I personally like 21:9 for gameing (as long as the game supports it   AC3!!! :(  ) and for backed-up Blu-rays in theatrical widescreen (I crop the black bars out in the back-up prosses). I also like the 16:9 monitor for more traditinal aspect ratio videos (YouTube, TV with the HD Homerun Prime, and some Blu-rays and DVDs) 

so yeah, 21:9 and 16:9 for me

16:10 for sure.

If you don't like black bars, you can just stretch to fit. Movies are natively 21:9 rather than 16:9 either way.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

16:10.

When you have a good screen, the black bars are pitch black, like it's part of the frame. So no problem.

Also most content on cinema ratio's, so you have black lines in any case.

16:10 is a must for a working environment.

I didn't try 21:9 but I think it would be great for gaming, for work I'd choose 16:10

I didn't try 21:9 but I think it would be great for gaming, for work I'd choose 16:10

Not really. Some games blocks it 21:9, to avoid "competitive edge" (cheating).

So you basically end up with 2 large black bar on the left and right of the screen.

I'm still using a 16:9 monitor, but 16:10 is still better. I'm not really sure why 16:9 would be better other than perhaps movies or something.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

For some reason I like the 21:9 ratio...for gaming of course.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I really dont care toor much between 16:9 and 16:10. However I find that 16:9 is often better price-wise.

I just swapped out my dell u2410 for a u3011 best decision ever. The u2410 was great but I want more screen real estate and I don't have room for multiple monitors.

16:10 because it actually fits two A4 pages on a single monitor, very useful for graphic designer that use inDesign. I currently use 3 monitors though. main is 16:10, one is 16:9 and one is 5:4 (an old dell)

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I have a 21:9 monitor and I love it. I almost always have 2 windows open which basically gives me two 4:3 windows at all times. Picture related. Its a much better use of screen space than one window taking up a 16:9 space

Gc2KAON.png

You really need height in there. I have surround three 16:9 1920x1080p screens and really feel like I'm missing height.

I have so much width that i actually have to move my eyes in order to focus at all on the sides and it just makes me feel like I have a huge blind spot for looking up and down.