Workshop Idea: Use one reference PCB to test all the aftermarket coolers

slap_shot18

@LinusTech 

I thought it would be interesting to take all (or most) of the new 1080 reference PCB with after market cooler designed cards and pick one PCB (the best OC'er, hottest running etc) and test that one PCB with all the aftermarket coolers to compare thermals. Could be an interesting workshop video. 

faster fans = better thermals+more noise

so they need to find a way to test that includes only one variable

since every cooler makes a different amount of noise and cools a different amount

like setting them so they all produce the same db, then measure their fan speeds, and then test thermals

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

faster fans = better thermals+more noise

so they need to find a way to test that includes only one variable

since every cooler makes a different amount of noise and cools a different amount

like setting them so they all produce the same db, then measure their fan speeds, and then test thermals

Yea great idea! Or set all the fans to a constant speed and measure thermals and dcb. I think this would be a great video to put the "which cooler is best" argument to rest. 

I feel like those workshop videos just waste so much of Luke's time, don't get me wrong they are fun :)

In all honesty, they could even take the card itself out of the question (because BrandA's custom PCB might not allow BrandB's cooler to mount properly) and just use a simulated die made out of copper. Load that block/die with sensors and heaters, strap it to the cooler, and then measure its performance. Linus's neighbor has a mill, he could make this easily.

1 minute ago, shibbs said:

In all honesty, they could even take the card itself out of the question (because BrandA's custom PCB might not allow BrandB's cooler to mount properly) and just use a simulated die made out of copper. Load that block/die with sensors and heaters, strap it to the cooler, and then measure its performance. Linus's neighbor has a mill, he could make this easily.

I figured they could use a reference board, for instance EVGA's SC ACX 3.0 uses a reference PCB with an aftermarket cooler. Theoretically you could mount that cooler on a founders card or any other card that uses that reference PCB

1 minute ago, slap_shot18 said:

I figured they could use a reference board, for instance EVGA's SC ACX 3.0 uses a reference PCB with an aftermarket cooler. Theoretically you could mount that cooler on a founders card or any other card that uses that reference PCB

Yes, but then there's MSI who (imo) has some of the best coolers, but use some absolutely ridiculously designed board that's 5 feet tall or some BS. 

2 minutes ago, shibbs said:

Yes, but then there's MSI who (imo) has some of the best coolers, but use some absolutely ridiculously designed board that's 5 feet tall or some BS. 

True, but I they have a reference cooled card. If not I know the Last gen cards did. Hopefully we see one this gen, espically for water cooling. 

1 minute ago, slap_shot18 said:

True, but I they have a reference cooled card. If not I know the Last gen cards did. Hopefully we see one this gen, espically for water cooling. 

I'm sorry, I just re-read your original post. You're talking about reference board cards only. 

We could easily expand this to more cards using the copper heated block method I posted. Then we could even compare between iterations of certain brands of cards. (TwinFrozr 4 vs 5 vs 6) 

14 minutes ago, shibbs said:

I'm sorry, I just re-read your original post. You're talking about reference board cards only. 

We could easily expand this to more cards using the copper heated block method I posted. Then we could even compare between iterations of certain brands of cards. (TwinFrozr 4 vs 5 vs 6) 

Yea this would be a great video, but very time consuming. I'd try it myself but prices man!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020