Is this fixable?

Jhulier

So I damaged my 7950 a few days ago, and it appears a capacitor blew up and I'm wondering if this can be fixed simply by soldering the same capacitor type to the board. 

Here is a picture:

yeo6bax.jpg

As you can see, it caused a good bit of damage, and may have damaged the card beyond just the one capacitor. The graphics card doesn't display an image on screen and the fan connector doesn't work anymore, so I'm assuming it is $250 down the drain, but if anyone here has a solution or can tell me whether or not this is in anyway possible to fix, please do so.

My gut instinct tells me no...

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

I don't think you can fix it since those parts are really tiny and would be really hard to fix. I would RMA it but not sure if they will accept it. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Well, the card is nearly a year old and I voided the warranty long ago, so it looks like I'm screwed. Really a kick in the balls seeing that much money just down the drain...

how the hell did you manage that?

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Sorry mate, but you would have to have the steadiest hands and tiniest solder tip in the world to stand a chance of soldering in w new capacitor, assuming you could even find it.

And even assuming you could it looks like the tracks are ruined, anyway. 

And even if they weren't it is unlikely only that one capacitor was damaged.

I could go on but I don't want to make you feel worse. If you've no other alternative and nothing else to lose I suppose you could try, but 4 years of University tells me it's a lost cause :( Bad luck, mate. 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

How does this happen?

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

How does this happen?

Being an idiot. My GPU has 3 fans and one of the fans was broken, I actually managed to fix it, but in celebration I decided to stick my finger into the fan blade to make sure it was still running, and I touched something and hear a tsssss and see some pretty lights. I now know that fixing something doesn't grant you the pass to be an idiot, because I turned a $5 issue into a $200+ issue.

Being an idiot. My GPU has 3 fans and one of the fans was broken, I actually managed to fix it, but in celebration I decided to stick my finger into the fan blade to make sure it was still running, and I touched something and hear a tsssss and see some pretty lights. I now know that fixing something doesn't grant you the pass to be an idiot, because I turned a $5 issue into a $200+ issue.

Pics or it didn't happen! Haha. JK.

My heart hit the floor when I read that. I couldn't imagine.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

As you can see, it caused a good bit of damage, and may have damaged the card beyond just the one capacitor. The graphics card doesn't display an image on screen and the fan connector doesn't work anymore, so I'm assuming it is $250 down the drain, but if anyone here has a solution or can tell me whether or not this is in anyway possible to fix, please do so.

Sorry mate, but you would have to have the steadiest hands and tiniest solder tip in the world to stand a chance of soldering in w new capacitor, assuming you could even find it.

And even assuming you could it looks like the tracks are ruined, anyway. 

And even if they weren't it is unlikely only that one capacitor was damaged.

I could go on but I don't want to make you feel worse. If you've no other alternative and nothing else to lose I suppose you could try, but 4 years of University tells me it's a lost cause :( Bad luck, mate. 

What I usually do if something breaks and can't be returned or replaced is take the piece of equiptment apart and see how it functions; if I find a piece is broken off or burnt or something I see if I can find a similar piece and try and fix it lol.

If you can't RMA it try fixing it yourself, it's broken either way, lol; unless you fix it :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Just call and see if you can get an RMA going.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

That's quite a bad burn mark. My 6th sense says its not fixable. 

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

This was a cap regulating the voltage going to the fans I think you pull too much current through it. I would take a stab at fixing it. When caps blow the leave residue everywhere. Just make sure you get a cap with the same µf and the same if not higher Voltage I would go with higher voltage since you blew your other Cap.