Does RAM speed is really matter in gaming?

Hi, I'm using 1333mhz Kingston RAM and I'm satisfied with FPS that i get... If I upgrade my current RAM, will I get more FPS? Or can I get other benefit from it?

RAM speed is only benificial in CPU intensive games, like poorly ported console games or demanding strategy games, in those cases yes an increase in RAM speed will yield performance increases .

Check this article out : http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/upgrades/how-to-overclock-your-ram-1030286

It matters if you are solely using an APU, otherwise no.

SC2High.png

Remember this only matters to APUs.

very minute difference as others have mentioned. the only real difference you'll see is on an apu build as shown in Helltechs picture.

there a good difference if you are using an apu as they use system memory, but other than that, it's all diminishing returns. Bragging rights though! ;)

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Thanks for all reply, I'd watch Logan video which he said that CAS Latency is not important for gaming, is that correct?

Well if you see a good deal / price for a kit you like and you can afford its always worth upgrading but it will only make a big difference if its a real old system like DDR2 and going to DDR3

or if you can double the speed if your motherboard can run it.

got to love Asus components

Even going from DDR2 800 to DDR3 1600 I didn't notice a single change to be honest. Using SSD on both systems as well. Everything was just as instantaneous on both systems, we are far beyond any RAM related bottlenecks. Far beyond.

You won't notice the difference in games but you will notice it if you are running ram benchmarks.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

1333 is fine. Don't waste money upgrading.

If you had to choose new RAM for a new system, go with 1600 as there is a 3% difference between 1333 and 1600. Speeds higher than that give even lower percentile improvements.

Remember buying an APU + high speed ram = higher cost. For that same cost you could buy a CPU and dedicated GPU