Best Password Manager?

3 minutes ago, OGSeraph said:

I always right down my passwords, in a "secret" notebook, it works wonders!

good luck writing down a 1000 random character string :P

(yes, theres people who use that)

Lastpass if you want the whole "cloud" thing and "ease of access" across multiple devices.

Keepass if you prefer local storage that only you have control over, using USB drives, remote access, network file sharing and what not to carry your passwords with you,  which is not an issue if you only ever use 1 PC and there are apps that can open the database on Android as well, if you REALLY need to. (I sure don't, other than my email)

I personally use Keepass, usually with custom password ranging in length between 8 to 30 characters depending on the service/site (because some services still only have a 8 character limit on the password... which is ridiculous). 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Bondy3 said:

I recently found out that several of my accounts have been breached and I think its time for me to start using a password manager.  but I dont know what the best option would be.

Should I invest the $12 and get LastPass, or are there better options out there?

What password manager do you guys use?

get a notebook for 1 dallah and a little safe to put it in.

Handwriting is best writing.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

good luck writing down a 1000 random character string :P

(yes, theres people who use that)

they obviously have some issues, or something to hide or both.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

you make your passwords, google chrome saves them

insecure

I use KeePass 2, it's free and secure. There's an unofficial Android app too. It generates random passwords whenever you make a new entry.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

they obviously have some issues, or something to hide or both.

well, an example the LTT community is starting to know is sevadus. dude prefers 1024, 2048, or 4096 character passwords.

he's a special kind of special.

36 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

insecure

I use KeePass 2, it's free and secure. There's an unofficial Android app too. It generates random passwords whenever you make a new entry.

how is it insecure

i have heard about password programs like keepass getting hacked and all the users having their passwords stolen

ive never heard of google getting hacked and having the passwords stolen

maybe because they use very good security since it literally runs half the internet??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

how is it insecure

i have heard about password programs like keepass getting hacked and all the users having their passwords stolen

ive never heard of google getting hacked and having the passwords stolen

maybe because they use very good security since it literally runs half the internet??

dude do you know what keepass is

it's offline. you store your passwords on an encrypted file that is password protected when you open it. 

Also- never heard of Google getting hacked? It happened just recently with those Russian accounts. Just because they're big doesn't mean they're ultra secure with the best security.

I think lastpass is secure enough for my needs, gonna use it

6 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

dude do you know what keepass is

it's offline. you store your passwords on an encrypted file that is password protected when you open it. 

Also- never heard of Google getting hacked? It happened just recently with those Russian accounts. Just because they're big doesn't mean they're ultra secure with the best security.

uh, yeah, and google chrome also stores it in an encrypted file

and what hack are you talking about

im using google chrome right now and its working just fine

so is google search

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

uh, yeah, and google chrome also stores it in an encrypted file

and what hack are you talking about

im using google chrome right now and its working just fine

so is google search

9 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Also- never heard of Google getting hacked? It happened just recently with those Russian accounts.

can you read English

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

can you read English

yes, and you didnt even read my post, so you obviously dot know what a "source" is or what "hacked" means

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bondy3 said:

I recently found out that several of my accounts have been breached and I think its time for me to start using a password manager.  but I dont know what the best option would be.

Should I invest the $12 and get LastPass, or are there better options out there?

What password manager do you guys use?

Best is brain, then a password manager.

Isn't LastPass free? I'm using it and I don't pay a dime xD

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

Best is brain, then a password manager.

Isn't LastPass free? I'm using it and I don't pay a dime xD

there is a free version but I want to sync across multiple devices and platforms and specifically use some of the premium features

4 minutes ago, Bondy3 said:

there is a free version but I want to sync across multiple devices and platforms and specifically use some of the premium features

For mobile devices (Firefox Android) I use Firefox's built-in password manager. With a Firefox account, it syncs all your data to and from your devices. :)

The only reason I use LastPass because of it's aggressive password/form filling behavior. Firefox is pretty lenient and sometimes refuse to fill passwords/information on secure sites. xD

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yes, and you didnt even read my post, so you obviously dot know what a "source" is or what "hacked" means

hack1
/hak/
verb
cut with rough or heavy blows.
"hack off the dead branches"
synonyms:    cut, chop, hew, lop, saw; slash
"Stuart hacked the padlock off"
use a computer to gain unauthorized access to data in a system.
"they hacked into a bank's computer"
noun
a rough cut, blow, or stroke.
"he was sure one of us was going to take a hack at him"
informal
an act of computer hacking

Google's definition of "Hack"

http://thehackernews.com/2016/05/hacked-email-accounts.html

In Russia, some hacker dude stole ~272 million accounts. Around 24 million were Gmail accounts (Google accounts essentially because you use the same login for all of them.) He hacked the Google accounts from somewhere.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

well, an example the LTT community is starting to know is sevadus. dude prefers 1024, 2048, or 4096 character passwords.

he's a special kind of special.

See, now that's a bit of a waste. Most password hashing algorithms will truncate your password way before that. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

16 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

See, now that's a bit of a waste. Most password hashing algorithms will truncate your password way before that. 

some people are just paranoid

I have been using lastpass for years now with no problem, easy to use, change passwords, generate new passwords with specific characters eg. avoid ambiguous characters  <- my pet hate. I am now starting to use keepass also though for those times like using android, plus want to see what extra features are available over just a browser password manager really.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, OGSeraph said:

I always right down my passwords, in a "secret" notebook, it works wonders!

that can easily be hacked if someone gains access to your house though

I have only used KeePass so that's the one I will recommend. Here is why I chose it over other ones:

Free as in free beer.

Free as in freedom (and open source).

Very flexible and expandable with plugins.

Very powerful and feature-rich handling of clipboards (to prevent keyloggers).

It does not have a built in syncing method if you use multiple devices. Most users (including me) seems to just use Dropbox for that. Save your database in your Dropbox folder and it will sync just fine.

If you decide to use KeePass, download the Professional version.

Classic = 1.X

Professional = 2.X

They decided to change the name because the two are not compatible with each other.

Last Pass is what i use

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

I use random password generators, then save that into a text file, which you can encrypt as needed. I then combine that with Firefox password manager, which isn't great, but it works well enough for me.

I've yet to make the switch to a full Password Manager. Perhaps some day.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

KeePass2 is a way to go. For beginners it can be little bit difficult to obtain full automation (integration with your browser(s) etc.) and it is backdoor proof since it is open source solution. I have it on OS X, Windows, iOS and Linux and it works perfectly. I use Dropbox for syncing between platforms. Also clipboard handling is great with KeePass. 
I think that Google Chrome password manager is not a greatest thing to use because if someone gets your Gmail account, they can get all of your passwords. And Google is not prone to account theft as we could see in many cases.

To summarize it, for password managers and file encryption you should always use open source tools because then you can rely huge user base which are auditing the code and if there were some backdoors they would already find them. Otherwise you need to take a word from the company which makes the software that it is safe and without backdoors. I tend to put much more trust in a big group of people (and myself) auditing the code then to the single entity. Just my 2 cents 

9 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

i guess its mostly an idiot deterrent.

everyone in his community knows his passwords are that long, so everyone knows its not even worth starting to brute force it, hence no one tries to brute force his passwords.