CLOS3 IMPACT-Finished...final pics!

Hurro!

So,as you would expect,this is another build log but this time (for a long time) its for me for a change!

I am working away on a scratch build in the ITX flavour but got held up trying to get stuff actually made up,so i decided to do a build anyway while im ironing out the wrinkles in it.
You can see my scratch design here

So i started looking at cases,nothing really caught my eye until i saw the S3 from Caselabs.......well,it ticked all my boxes and,even though its not cheap once its imported,I was sold on it.
No expense spared on the naming as usual.
The basic hardware will be as follows:

Asus IMPACT Z87 ITX mobo,on pre order.....still waiting.
i5 or i7...not sure yet as this will be a LAN box/daily driver while the SR2 gets its upgrade,i7 is a bit overkill for this purpose. Plus im delidding it,i5 is a bit less of a hit if my hands of meat ruin it.
780 of some description...
Corsair Platinum 2400 ram,Scan have a good deal on this right  now. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-%282x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-dominator-platinum-pc3-19200-%282400%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-10-12-12-31-dhx-
Couple of SSDs...The new Samsung EVO drives look a bit tasty.
WD Caviar Black for the pron and pizza pics.

Obviously wasserkooled,this time acrylic rather than my standard copper tubing (I dont think Magoo would let anything else happen tbh)

So,shall we have a mooch around the case?

I went for the full fat S3 with pedestal,windows all round and the vented IO panels
I bought the pedestal as a precaution in case my cunning plan doesnt work out like i want,i did mention its going R-ITX rather than horizon right? No? Sorry.......= )

The finish is in primer grey as its having a custom paint job......airbrush work not done by myself so it should look good!

Whats in the box Mr Parker?

5E0LZkm.jpg

Instructions...thrown away....Im asserting my manliness today.

00r6sfm.jpg

All the nicely wrapped panels in a pile.this is the case bit,the pedestal is an entirely different pile....

First panel and the one that is not being used in the mod (R-ITX remember? Im making my own)
I did mention to Caselabs about selling front and back blanks and it was well received so maybe I wont have to make one.......

cn40OSg.jpg

VEn5zQq.jpg

Base panel.

IjVjI2u.jpg

A bent piece.....nothing a pair of pliers cant sort tho.

0MAn60X.jpg

And the 2 panels fixed up.

qnDI9KH.jpg

Another piece im no likely to use...except the mounts for the SSD and HDD

O39hZXv.jpg

Pick of it inside.[...before it all gets hit with the mod stick.

e3KwukL.jpg

Front panel. Nice mesh.

5DMVzG5.jpg

More assembly......

R2s1yvl.jpg

E6WMhQm.jpg

And panels on.

UyelCzL.jpg

LCN7RVL.jpg

c47AMLk.jpg

Thats all im doing today,the light is going and my hand hurts,tomorrow i will be assembling the ped and then showing roughly what im doing inside before breaking it all down again.

If you were wondering how easy is it to build this case......

wJM4VJe.jpg

Im doing it one handed....

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Board has arrived!

And she is a beauty!

JJ13QSd.jpg

No AS bag....hmmmm.....

kEHv1NQ.jpg

The bare board,the fiddly bits are yet to come...

UJQpaPu.jpg

VRM Daughterboard.

92WYURU.jpg

Push to start...like a Ferrari. Except this is cheaper in pants.

2c3rzPC.jpg

aBnWl3Y.jpg

Debug panel,because ITX builds are normally cramped...however they saw fit to use a start button...

fdheJfz.jpg

Back of the VRM board,hopefully the backplate will be compatible with a VRM block.

BN6sYHR.jpg

The soundcard,a welcome addition,ITX does suffer cut backs...this board is trying hard to reverse that.

ywSJgj3.jpg

3uIKUKp.jpg

The mPCI-e slot...takes Wifi card and the new (soon to be released) SFF SSD's

nEO7M2p.jpg

hgzDoRr.jpg

And all together now...

WMv1203.jpg

sKj8gvf.jpg

Magoo approves this post.

zBCAoXT.jpg

I will be tackling the pedestal later,maybe slip the board in for a look-see

Today is all about the pedestal.
Another pile of parts,all wrapped very nicely

TMVztkJ.jpg

The base panel,drop in mount with a drain port or 2

UuFPvLF.jpg

And the top panel.
These are interchangeable with one another,the pedestal can be extended with another ped if you feel the need.

h6I9Cqf.jpg

This is the back panel for the ped,I chose a 120 exhaust for mine.

gV05JV5.jpg

Some assembly.

lIiveFm.jpg

HVRWcmn.jpg

Now we are at the front panel,inner and outer skins

VgwjGP5.jpg

PxZJphj.jpg

These are vital...and not included.
These are the 240/280 mounts and they will be useful in my idea.
Remember to get these if you use the ped.

6f8FiaN.jpg

Not the kit i will be using but it gives sense of size.

5nQhj3S.jpg

74pLInf.jpg

The feet i will be using are the MNPC feet i won for Bittechs MOTM for May.

EQt3cMI.jpg

And the finished (to a point) assembly.

3IX1ZMM.jpg

To give a sense of scale,thats a Bitspower 400mm res,it will fit if you remove a cover plate in the bottom of the case.

H8jWRjj.jpg

This will fit,its a toss up between this and the XSPC 270 Photon in this build.

B6iORu3.jpg

Now this is where it gets interesting and this pic should give you an idea of what i intend to achieve.

4VrpAeA.jpg

The board is R-ATX  and the PSU will sit behind the mobo tray,much like my scratch design.
I will need to fab a midplate,a mobo tray/support and a backplate,all simple stuff.
I will also need to get solid doors (im a DUMBASS  and didnt spec it with them) to rework the windows and add intakes for the rads,2 240s (one each side intaking)

There look like there is enough room and the ruler says yes but whether it will look right is another story,this why i got the ped...i can swing back to having rads in the bottom and i can get creative in the main case.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

So,while im unable to chop anything up right now,i will have to amuse myself by planning the res.

The front needs something to fill it up,im not normally a bay fan but the S3 is begging for something on the front to give it some detail (other than the paint job thats coming)

I came up with this.

Z4N2Mms.png

QoAWFxQ.png

yP9xb8f.jpg

The window has a nice chamfer on the raised section to mirror the Aquacomputer GPU blocks,when i first saw those GPU blocks,i wanted them soooooo bad,enough to buy a 780/Titan for that awesome active backplate.

23563_2.jpg

aquacomputer_titan_waterblock_01.jpg

A tidy looking res that will fill that gap nicely.

When i finish the SW model of all the panels of the S3 then  can show you hopefully what it will look like in place.

I made a quick and dirty 'playdoh model' ,rather than the full assembly of individual panels that i prefer to do, to have a look at how it fits and looks.

TMZRt34.jpg

I made some changes to the res design to more mimic the AC kit im planning on.

njtKNET.jpg

Thicker window and adding the bolt thru face plate ties in nicely with the 780/Titan blocks.
Also etched aquacomputer into the front.

rfOUpUQ.jpg

+ Pins came out of my finger yesterday!

-Splint stays on for another 2 weeks....

Alu is on its way for the backplate and interior,still 2 weeks before i can do anything with it,its just going to sit in the corner.....staring at me......:madsmiley

I was feeling a bit brave this morning so i went to bend me some metal for the rear of the case.

AgPBcBj.jpg

Mark out the total width and height of the back panel,+20mm each side for the bends,remember to allow material for the bend so it doesnt come up short.

kMhYKgM.jpg

nuxNjI6.jpg

BYPvFSI.jpg

Vgm29Q5.jpg

3FgIDKo.jpg

Because i dont have a press bender or tooling for the top 90,these will be fabbed on afterwards and screwed on.

2.5mm Alu

JuKJWDb.jpg

N33cSmm.jpg

Oops....broke teh workbench.

Anyway,the panel is a solid fit,very happy how it came out.

zYRYEln.jpg

N33cSmm.jpg

W3oGPdL.jpg

OXZBVqP.jpg

Im a Magoo....hear me RAWR!!!

Todays modding soundtrack has consisted of..

So after breaking teh workbench,rain has stopped play for today.

Some progress but not of the great kind.....

I made the replacement backpanel and have it fitted,unfortunately I cant go R-ATX like i first wanted,there is simply not enough room.

So it back to square one.

No bad thing as now i get to use the pedestal and have a LOT more room to do stuff.

H05S7UL.jpg

7fhTHjG.jpg

As you can see here,its so tight,I could 'force' it in but it would just look cramped...

GSBXbeS.jpg

No fan could be installed there and the rad would be on the floor.squashed right in with no room to work on it other than by removing the backpanel.

47JlZtG.jpg

So,I need to get some paint on soon so it can start the cure now for mop polishing in 3 months time.

Also need to get over to the PARVUM guys for a day of mill action for the res.....

All in all,a bad month...broke finger,a small ding in my car and now my lovely plan for this build has gone slightly south.

Reminds me,I must play the Lottery......

Beautiful, can't wait till it is complete. And that rog Impact! I NEED IT!!!!

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I really love the Bitfenix Spectre Pro in white, they look absolutely

gorgeous IMHO. Almost makes me wish I'd gone for white/copper

for HELIOS (almost... ;) ).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I really love the Bitfenix Spectre Pro in white, they look absolutely

gorgeous IMHO. Almost makes me wish I'd gone for white/copper

for HELIOS (almost... ;) ).

Not good rad fans tho,they are pretty poor at that. These were used just as a 'placeholder',I think im using the Scythe Grand flex fans........they look really mint!

Not good rad fans tho,they are pretty poor at that. These were used just as a 'placeholder',I think im using the Scythe Grand flex fans........they look really mint!

The 120 version is rather weak indeed. The 140 actually packs quite a

bit more punch (altough it's by no means a powerhouse). For my needs

they're pretty much perfect, with all the radiatorage in my build all

I'm really looking for from my rad fans is a slight breeze without motor

and bearing noises (and so far they haven't developed any, let's hope

it stays that way, it would really suck to have to replace them after

having invested about six to eight hours into modding them :lol: ).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Looking incredible!

Subbed.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

HOw come you've posted 4 epic build logs in around one day? :P Old ones that you wanted to share and current ones? They all look so good!

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Looking incredible!

Subbed.

Thanks!

HOw come you've posted 4 epic build logs in around one day? :P Old ones that you wanted to share and current ones? They all look so good!

The SR2 and this build are my own,the other 2 are builds i have done for others.

I tend to post all my logs when i join a new forum so people get a feel of what im about and to give ideas.

That looks great so far. Great to see more and more people using Caselabs cases! Stoked to see what you're going to do next! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

looks good but what happend to your hand? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Thanks!

The SR2 and this build are my own,the other 2 are builds i have done for others.

I tend to post all my logs when i join a new forum so people get a feel of what im about and to give ideas.

I think it's worked :D Your stuff is so epic :D

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

looks good but what happend to your hand? 

Broken in a road rage incident,just waiting to see what kind of compensation for me and what punishment for them happens

EXCELLENT!

Why thank you!

I think it's worked :D Your stuff is so epic :D

Most appreciated!

This is epic. I really love your motherboard and the case u picked

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

This is epic. I really love your motherboard and the case u picked

I will be honest with you,the only reason i bought this case was because of that board,ever since i saw its leaked preview...i had to have it.

Sad but true.

I will be honest with you,the only reason i bought this case was because of that board,ever since i saw its leaked preview...i had to have it.

Sad but true.

Hey, don't knock that decision making process! I did practically the same

thing with the SR-2. :D

I bought mine as a render/CAD/games buster.

24 cores make short work of pretty much everything.

Im excited!

My paint has arrived!

Off to the spray booth this weekend for some splashing!!

VdPBtpM.jpg

zkE9mQi.jpg

And a nice little touch up gun,there is not enough flat surface area for my full size and this is a great little gun for feathering......as will be explained tomorrow when i video it in action.

fkEoYiR.jpg

If i told you that these 2 liters of paint cost more than the case (not including shipping)...would you believe me?

Yup,it did.

I need to get this started now,before i start with hardware,so the airbrush work can set before i clearcoat,this is all time consuming so its getting done first

Got some nice 2 component clear coat coming for this,its going to be.....MmmmMMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmMMMMmmmmmmm........*

xD

This is amazing, can't wait to see the finished product :).