Choosing a 8-bit IPS monitor, 24'', 1080. Does that even exist ?

Wolrajh

Hey,

I'm still looking for my companion IPS monitor !

As the title says, and since I wanted to pair it with a BenQ XL2411T or XL2420TE, I'd like a 24'' sized monitor, but, considering its purpose would be to host my After Effects viewers and various render screens, I'd prefer it to be at least 8-bits.

Problem is, 24'' monitors tend to jump to the 1200 resolution, most brands stopping doing 16/9 at 23.6'' / 23.8''.

So a question comes to mind, however dumb it may seem :

- can we still use a non-stretched 1920x1080 resolution on 1920x1200 monitors, like, with black bars, right out of the box with no third party softwares ?

So far I heard a lot about the Dell Ultrasharp like the U2412M, also a lot about the various LG models with AH-ips like the LG 24EB23PY-B, and a bit about the Asus like the VN248H or PA249Q ( or the cheaper PA248Q ). I also believe we are using syncmasters at work, but I don't really like Samsung anyway ...

Choosing a correct IPS monitor is still a pain, as this is the kind of purchase that you'd rather get right, right away :P

If displaying a 1080 resolution on a 1200 monitor isn't an issue, what would you recommend bearing in mind that I'd want a 8-bit panel, with good response time since it will need to display the videos I'm working on, at 24'' to match the gaming BenQ ? I'd rather not blow my budget and stay at 300, 400 euros max, unless you really, REALLY think one specific 500ish model is REALLY good. ;)

Thanks again for all your advices here on the forum !

As far as I know there isn't a non-professional monitor that has an 8-bit panel at 1200p. Even in the 1440p space an Asus Pb278q uses a 6-bit panel.

Not sure if this is 8 bit or not, but this is their "professional" monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236287

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Do you mean 10 bit panels? Most modern monitors are 8 bit, meaning they can display roughly 16.7 million colors, but accuracy is what sets those monitors apart.

Isn't Dell IPS monitos 8-bit? I'm not too certain though.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

I suggest just grabbing a 8-bit 27in. 

you get a larger landscape so it will be easier to work with. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Having a closer look at the Asus PA249Q monitor, as well as Dell U2413, they both use a AH-ips LG panel. They both have a color depth of "8+A-FRC" which roughly translates to 10bits.

As I mostly do videos, it's too much, so it seems I can downgrade to the Asus PA248Q or Dell U2412M. Both seem to be 6+FRC, 8 claimed bits. I wont have the Adobe RGB colorspace on screen, but it's mainly used for print anyway. sRGB is the usual colorspace I work with.

This is good to know, since they really cost much much less...

Part of why I don't want a 27in monitor is because a) I plan to pair it with a BenQ XL24something, 24in, b) the greater the size, the more expensive, and c) I won't have enough distance.

Also, 27'' often comes ( and rightly so ) with 1440p, and, again, the BenQ will be limited to 1920x1080 anyway. I prefer my dual monitor setup to match as well as possible.

Nobody knows whether it would be possible to display black bars when using a 1080 resolution on a monitor able to reach 1200 ? Expanding the desktop with different resolution is quite horrible when working with apps spanning on multiple screens... :)

It is true that a 8-bit panel are wide gamut, making it be able to do 10-bit colors with A-FRC.

But getting a 6-bit panel with A-FRC, doesn't get you the best colors over a true 8-bit panel.

Also, the 6-bit panels, uses white LED's, which output a blu-ish/cold white which ads a blue tint on everything, especially visible on grays. While 8-bit panels uses, either high grade CFL or GB-LED, or if you have the money RGB-LED, which are all wide gamut back lights, but offers a nice white, for your other colors to be based on.

I would say that maybe having a wider gamut aspect ratio for video isn't that important like if you do graphic design and/or photography...simply because your viewers won't have Adobe RGB color space...but still having a good wide gamut monitor means you can't mess up the colors...viewers will simply see less details) especially less green)... what goodbytes said is true: this as I like to call it "fake" 8 bit  isn't as good as true 8 bit but it is still better then the common 6 bit... Dell U2412h is still the king of the best buy...keep in mind that factory calibration is not enough you will need a color calibration device  if you are going to do some pro work. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Do you mean 10 bit panels? Most modern monitors are 8 bit, meaning they can display roughly 16.7 million colors, but accuracy is what sets those monitors apart.

Most modern monitors display 8-bit colors yes, using 6-bit panels.  "10-bit monitors" use 8-bit panels.

To answer the question, yes you can display native 1080p on a 1920x1200 monitor and the unused portions will simply be black, giving you thin bars on the top and bottom.  No stretching or anything.

The ASUS PA249Q and Dell U2413 are the only 24" with 8-bit panels that I can think of right now.

Problem is, 24'' monitors tend to jump to the 1200 resolution, most brands stopping doing 16/9 at 23.6'' / 23.8''.

Why not just get a 23.8" then? It's not like you are going to notice 0.2".

Or is there a very specific reason why it should be 24"?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Why not just get a 23.8" then? It's not like you are going to notice 0.2".

Or is there a very specific reason why it should be 24"?

Nah, 23.6 / 23.8 is ok. When I say "24in" it's just a shortcut :)

I know those are still using the classic 16/9 resolution, it's just that most of the time they seem like poor IPS choice, colorspace-wise. 23in monitors seem like they are getting some love while still natively being 1080p, but 24in jump to 1200. In short, 23.6/23.8/24 in 1080 sound like the bastard children and finding a good one, with enough color depth and correct response time seems hard. As such, I'm thinking of going 1200 but I really don't know if It's possible to maintain the 16/9 ratio on a 16/10 display, with black bars or something...

Or I can just live with the 120 pixels difference, but it's really weird and not comfortable, from experience.

Nah, 23.6 / 23.8 is ok. When I say "24in" it's just a shortcut :)

I know those are still using the classic 16/9 resolution, it's just that most of the time they seem like poor IPS choice, colorspace-wise. 23in monitors seem like they are getting some love while still natively being 1080p, but 24in jump to 1200. In short, 23.6/23.8/24 in 1080 sound like the bastard children and finding a good one, with enough color depth and correct response time seems hard. As such, I'm thinking of going 1200 but I really don't know if It's possible to maintain the 16/9 ratio on a 16/10 display, with black bars or something...

Or I can just live with the 120 pixels difference, but it's really weird and not comfortable, from experience.

Does this answer your question? :P

IMAG0023.jpg

Absolutely! Thank you very much dear sir. So its more or less settled, I'll go for the Asus PA. 248 or 249 will depend on my budget when I get there I guess!

Missed a few very useful answers. That's what happens when you read a forum on your mobile during transit!

I would say that maybe having a wider gamut aspect ratio for video isn't that important like if you do graphic design and/or photography...simply because your viewers won't have Adobe RGB color space...but still having a good wide gamut monitor means you can't mess up the colors...viewers will simply see less details) especially less green)... what goodbytes said is true: this as I like to call it "fake" 8 bit  isn't as good as true 8 bit but it is still better then the common 6 bit... Dell U2412h is still the king of the best buy...keep in mind that factory calibration is not enough you will need a color calibration device  if you are going to do some pro work. 

I completely agree : I do not need a "true" 8 bit monitor, less so a 10 bits.

GoodBytes mentionned the bluish tint from the white back LED, this is probably not a problem either as, as you just said, my works will mostly be displayed on standard TVs. 6+AFRC aka "fake 8 bits" sounds like a very good option, a bit more control on my end, but no overkill. Also, less expensive. Way less expensive.

However, you mean Dell U2412M, do you ? It seems to be cheaper via Amazon ( sold by DELLPARTNERS ) than via ... Dell website. Almost 100 euros less. Go figure!

Most modern monitors display 8-bit colors yes, using 6-bit panels.  "10-bit monitors" use 8-bit panels.

To answer the question, yes you can display native 1080p on a 1920x1200 monitor and the unused portions will simply be black, giving you thin bars on the top and bottom.  No stretching or anything.

The ASUS PA249Q and Dell U2413 are the only 24" with 8-bit panels that I can think of right now.

Sorry, I didn't see your answer about the black bars. Thank you very much ! I really feared it would be stretched or something.

True 8 bits monitors are quite expensive, and with the various answers I got here, I can safely assume I won't need this kind of colorspace. While working on videos, I rarely work from home - it would be for personnal works and various tests, also ensuring I can help should the need arise and there aren't any unused computers at work ( it happened a few times ).

yeah u2412m (i think that there i also an hm version),  u2312m is also good and cheaper and it doesn't have as good color reproduction as the 2412. I still have one of these(2412), and it's been around for ages...and it's still an awesome monitor..lacks the hdmi output but dvi to hdmi adapters are cheap...if you want something a bit more expensive check asus pa248q or even 249q (there is a qj version with a monitor hood and spyder 4 express color calibrator but that's around 450 euros - and it's 10 bit I believe - not sure though- but that's an entry level pro monitor) 

PS- I mess up the model numbers sometimes, a mistake google will kindly correct :)  

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

In Dell's naming convention, H means 16:9 aspect ratio, M means no wide gamut color support, just standard 8-bit colors.  Usually this implies a 6-bit panel with 8-bit colors but once in a while, an 8-bit panel but still with 8-bit colors (no 10-bit color support).  Otherwise if one of those letters is missing, the default is 16:10 aspect ratio (if there is no H), and 8-bit panel with wide-gamut 10-bit color support (if there is no M).

U2312HM is 16:9 (1920x1080) 6-bit panel/8-bit color (23", 2012 edition)

U2412M is 16:10 (1920x1200) 6-bit panel/8-bit color (24", 2012 edition)

U2413 is 16:10 (1920x1200) 8-bit panel/10-bit color (24", 2013 edition)

U2713H is 16:9 (2560x1440) 8-bit panel/10-bit color (27", 2013 edition)

U2713HM is 16:9 (2560x1440) 8-bit panel/8-bit color (27", 2013 edition)

So basically once you get familiar with the conventions, you don't even need to look at each spec sheet, you can just scroll down a list of models and know exactly what each one is.