Best place to learn HTML, CSS and JS?

AlTech

I'd like to learn HTMl, CSS and JS.

Where would be the best place to do that?

Thanks

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Perhaps somewhere like code academy? 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Pluralsight, picking courses such as AngularJS, Knockout or JQuery perhaps.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Perhaps somewhere like code academy? 

I've heard it's a bad place to learn things.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hm, my friend who writes banking software for HSBC HQ in London recommended it to me haha, so I guessed he would know better than me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

If you're an absolutely n00b in those languages, you should follow at least one tutorial on Code Academy. You shouldn't 'just make it' though, you have to understand the way stuff is written. How all the different tags (like <html>, <body>, etc.) work.

After that you should think of some projects you want to make and try to make them by using your knowledge and Googling a lot (and asking a question on the forum if you can't figure it out).

As a developer you will have to do stuff like this too, learn a language by using it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

It's awful... You'll pick up little to nothing on architectural and design principles or best practices there.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

If you're an absolutely n00b in those languages, you should follow at least one tutorial on Code Academy. You shouldn't 'just make it' though, you have to understand the way stuff is written. How all the different tags (like <html>, <body>, etc.) work.

After that you should think of some projects you want to make and try to make them by using your knowledge and Googling a lot (and asking a question on the forum if you can't figure it out).

As a developer you will have to do stuff like this too, learn a language by using it.

Are there any tutorials you can recommend?

Codecademy, as Minibois also said. Have used it myself and can recommend it.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Are there any tutorials you can recommend?

I don't really have any in specific to recommend.

The point of doing the tutorial in this case is only to understand the very basic structure of HTML and CSS (and JS if you have never done any programming).

Just understand that you have <html> on the top of your document, </html> at the bottom, etc.

What is (in my opinion) an effective way of learning these languages is by first knowing the very basic and from there expand your knowledge by Googling how to do stuff and after you have found the methods to do it, going to W3Schools and looking up some examples and after that applying it to your own script.

You can look here (and the next chapters) for some basics:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Run through the courses on w3schools.com, absolutely the best starting point no matter what people may think.

W3CSchool, Mozilla developer network and Codeacademy 

17 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

It's awful... You'll pick up little to nothing on architectural and design principles or best practices there.

It's HTML, CSS and JS. There is not much to learn in terms of conventions and architecture here! 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

It's HTML, CSS and JS. There is not much to learn in terms of conventions and architecture here! 

That statement demonstrates just how little you know of these languages and of writing software in general.

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

That statement demonstrates just how little you know of these languages and of writing software in general.

I know a lot about HTML, CSS and JavaScript.  Comparing them to languages like Java and other C languages they are much friendlier in terms of types and syntax.

Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

WOW, are you serious? JS is one of the most convention-sensitive languages.

27 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I know a lot about HTML, CSS and JavaScript.  Comparing them to languages like Java and other C languages they are much friendlier in terms of types and syntax.

Comparing HTML and CSS to C or Java made me cringe. I also found JS more tricky than Java.

Back on topic:

Indeed, Codecademy is terrible, I even made a topic about it:

Especially that you want to learn JS, Codecademy doesn't tell you to use semicolons, lack of which is a cardinal sin in JS and can cause loads of problems.

I myself mostly learnt from w3schools, but over time, I found that things taught there weren't the best way of doing things and I found many "holes" in my knowledge.

I've heard that MDN (Mozilla Developer Network) is the best place to learn web technologies. I haven't used myself, but I will try to refresh my knowledge there soon :)

2 hours ago, Gachr said:

WOW, are you serious? JS is one of the most convention-sensitive languages.

Comparing HTML and CSS to C or Java made me cringe. I also found JS more tricky than Java.

Back on topic:

Indeed, Codecademy is terrible, I even made a topic about it:

Especially that you want to learn JS, Codecademy doesn't tell you to use semicolons, lack of which is a cardinal sin in JS and can cause loads of problems.

I myself mostly learnt from w3schools, but over time, I found that things taught there weren't the best way of doing things and I found many "holes" in my knowledge.

I've heard that MDN (Mozilla Developer Network) is the best place to learn web technologies. I haven't used myself, but I will try to refresh my knowledge there soon :)

Okay I will correct myself then since I haven't had much time with JavaScript compared to Java. I made myself sound stupid.

Pascal laptops guide

W3schools

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I learnt a lot of mine throught self taught but codecademy works.

20 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

It's a crash course -- a slow summary of the common practices that you'll find yourself using -- not something you should evaluate against a comparitive year or two of genuine programming tutoring... or experience, for that matter. I started with it, and a lot of people do. I haven't payed a cent for my HTML5/CSS3 knowledge and even im considered proficient in it. I also recently started JS, and it's really helped the ol' confidence when learning new things.

Though, on the flipside, Codecademy isn't why I'm proficient, and it never will be for anyone. What makes you proficient in these languages is experience. Practice making your own things, practice making things for other people, practice fixing other people's issues, practice, practice, practice. 

If you look at Codecademy as a place to walk out knowing every common language off by heart, you'll be disappointed.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono