Aunt wants me to do wedding for free

Lil Chillbil

Just talked to my grandmother and she says that in the 50's when she got married she paid $600 for a photographer to take 1 good medium format photo of everyone standing together in black and white. And she was happy with that, I think people have gotten spoiled and take pictures fro granite 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Just talked to my grandmother and she says that in the 50's when she got married she paid $600 for a photographer to take 1 good medium format photo of everyone standing together in black and white. And she was happy with that, I think people have gotten spoiled and take pictures fro granite 

Well, that was likely because of a few things:

1. Film is expensive

2. Limited shots per film roll

3. No instant preview (Don't know how it will turn out until you develop it)

You might say that we are spoiled because of the digital age, and the fact that we can afford to take hundreds or thousands of pictures, because the only limitation is memory card size (Which, honestly, memory cards are cheap so in practice it's almost limitless for a regular person). But I see this as only a good thing, especially if a professional is doing it. Your grandmother might have been happy with her single medium format photo, but I bet she'd like it more if she could have dozens or hundreds of photos capturing one of the best memories/moments of her life.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Put cyanide in the wedding cake

That'll sure show her not to be cheap

grumpy-cat-good-1.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

Have you ever shot a wedding before? 

Have you ever shot a wedding before? 

no but I am very confident in my ability's with my equipment and have shot baptisms and mitzfas and other events under pressure. I think $1000 dollars is a good price for family 

#KilledMyWife 

My recommendation show up with a smart phone and throwit in burst mode. Youll have 1200 "keepers" in a couple of minutes.

But seriously try to explain whats all involved and if she doesnt understand and come to an agreement thats actually locical turn he down and recommemd someone else.

no but I am very confident in my ability's with my equipment and have shot baptisms and mitzfas and other events under pressure. I think $1000 dollars is a good price for family

I would suggest helping with a wedding before going balls deep and handling it all your self. Also many good wedding photographers dont do it all themselves as depending on the size of the wedding its much to hard to cover everything yourself among other things.

I would suggest helping with a wedding before going balls deep and handling it all your self. Also many good wedding photographers dont do it all themselves as depending on the size of the wedding its much to hard to cover everything yourself among other things.

thats where my friend Naum comes in, i'm giving him $100 to be my 2nd shooter. He mainly does wildlife with his 40d but I think he'll work as my 2nd shooter and we have been best friends since we were 8

385071_421601517887485_1243719636_n.jpg

This is naum, he may not be the most qualified but thats all I've got for an assistant 

wtf now i'm losing money on this wedding. We better get some ****ing good food at the reception and stuff it in our camerabags 

#KilledMyWife 

thats where my friend Naum comes in, i'm giving him $100 to be my 2nd shooter. He mainly does wildlife with his 40d but I think he'll work as my 2nd shooter and we have been best friends since we were 8

This is naum, he may not be the most qualified but thats all I've got for an assistant 

wtf now i'm losing money on this wedding. We better get some ****ing good food at the reception and stuff it in our camerabags

If you dont mind me asking how do you pronounce his name.

Also your at a wedding if their free liquor might as well have fun with that too (if your old enough that is).

They are on crack lol, and don't see just "snapping a few photos and tweeting them" is worth $1000 wtf 

then tell them to screw off if they aren't even willing to respect the help you are giving them, they are obviously clueless and don't appreciate the ammount of work that has to be done at all.

If you dont mind me asking how do you pronounce his name.

Also your at a wedding if their free liquor might as well have fun with that too (if your old enough that is).

Its pronounced Nahhh uuuum if you say that fast enough you get naum 

i'm 15 lol, but i'll try  ;)

#KilledMyWife 

So my aunt told me she wants me to be the photographer for her wedding. I told her that'd be $1000 for the whole day and she would get around 400 keepers about a week after the wedding. She said that was way to much, I said i'll do it for $100 and a bucket of fried chicken. And then she says she wants it for free. Not only free but she wants 1200 keepers and uploaded to facebook same day. And some giant poster sized prints and some wallet stuff to hand out "directly" as people are leaving the reception. I tell her she is cray cray, and now i'm shunned from the family. She is from the part of my family that is more G hetto and hicky. And now suddenly i'm a dick for not wanting to do un human and stuipid things for free.

I need advice

Just do it is your family.

If your time is worth anything, never work for free, especially for family.

Once you become that relative who does stuff for free, why would they ever pay you? You did your aunt's wedding for free, you should do it for your cousin too.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

Once you become that relative who does stuff for free, why would they ever pay you? You did your aunt's wedding for free, you should do it for your cousin too.

Yes agreed, in reality you should be charging more as it's usually a severe headache, there will be tons of distractions (people) taking you off the job. Obviously you won't be able to charge more than the going rate for a professional, but as Edzel said, if you don't stand your ground or you will probably find yourself getting very popular all of a sudden.

Also... Hi :D

well I took another job, this time for a friend of the family. They are giving me a 1 week trip up to where they are getting married all expenses paid deluxe cabin/hotel. And nothing else, its a "portfollio builder" so again i'm losing money on renting a 1d unless I can dig into the minibar a ton and I guess it all evens out lol 

OB-XZ084_0627ca_H_20130625170501.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

Why rent a 1D? 5D MIII would be fine heck probably the new 70D would do the trick

Why rent a 1D? 5D MIII would be fine heck probably the new 70D would do the trick

I mean its like, I have to put up the same colladeral to rent the 5d as I would the 1d and its one of those things that you just gotta say why not and do it. Its not like i'll ever have a chance to use a 1d with L lenses again anytime soon so #Yolo 

#KilledMyWife 

oh you are 15 ! So you are still very young to think about business. Don't worry you'll learn. Tell your parents to tell your aunt, that they will not pay for the expensive equipment you have to rent for the wedding,and you tell your parents that you expect an awesome gift for your B-Day because they are letting your aunt to exploit their kid. Also don't get me wrong but you beeing 15 makes your aunt think that you are not professional enough to do the job, that's why she won't pay ( I don't say that you are not talented or something like that I'm just saying what grownups think-it's the reality). Also if you screw up the wedding tell your aunt this. " I'm a 15 year old kid and you as grownup should be smart enough not to trust me with such an important task, so you get what you pay for." Then turn your back. Then ride out into the sunset.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

oh you are 15 ! So you are still very young to think about business. Don't worry you'll learn. Tell your parents to tell your aunt, that they will not pay for the expensive equipment you have to rent for the wedding,and you tell your parents that you expect an awesome gift for your B-Day because they are letting your aunt to exploit their kid. Also don't get me wrong but you beeing 15 makes your aunt think that you are not professional enough to do the job, that's why she won't pay ( I don't say that you are not talented or something like that I'm just saying what grownups think-it's the reality). Also if you screw up the wedding tell your aunt this. " I'm a 15 year old kid and you as grownup should be smart enough not to trust me with such an important task, so you get what you pay for." Then turn your back. Then ride out into the sunset.

on my bigwheel lol :P

BIG_Wheel_(3327257572).jpg

#KilledMyWife