Aunt wants me to do wedding for free

Lil Chillbil

So my aunt told me she wants me to be the photographer for her wedding. I told her that'd be $1000 for the whole day and she would get around 400 keepers about a week after the wedding. She said that was way to much, I said i'll do it for $100 and a bucket of fried chicken. And then she says she wants it for free. Not only free but she wants 1200 keepers and uploaded to facebook same day. And some giant poster sized prints and some wallet stuff to hand out "directly" as people are leaving the reception. I tell her she is cray cray, and now i'm shunned from the family. She is from the part of my family that is more G hetto and hicky. And now suddenly i'm a dick for not wanting to do un human and stuipid things for free.

I need advice  

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I would stand my ground, explain how much work it will take to complete the task and show her how much she would be paying by going with a professional. Even though she is family it's still quite a bit to ask...  :unsure: Offer 1000 keepers and see if that changes her mind.  :mellow: ($100 + fried chicken is an excellent deal.)

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Either family discount or take photos with a cheaper camera that produces a cheaper look?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Advice:
1. Never shoot weddings for family or friends
2. Never shoot weddings
3. Tell them to hire a professional wedding photog with proper and redundant equipment. Maybe you could get the gig as second shooter and get a cut from there

I would stand my ground, explain how much work it will take to complete the task and show her how much she would be paying by going with a professional. Even though she is family it's still quite a bit to ask...  :unsure: Offer 1000 keepers and see if that changes her mind.  :mellow: ($100 + fried chicken is an excellent deal)

It is, I really wanted some fried chicken

I'll show up and i'll shoot the wedding. and i'll deliver whatever the frig I wanna deliver. They will be quality but not 1200 and I'll get em to them 2 weeks later 

#KilledMyWife 

If you're invited to the wedding just visit. But don't take a camera. If she wants photos she should hire a photographer. Or man up and let you do what you do for a reasonable price.

(I have only assisted at a wedding as photographer, so I didn't have to deal with all the side work)

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Advice:

1. Never shoot weddings for family or friends

2. Never shoot weddings

3. Tell them to hire a professional wedding photog with proper and redundant equipment. Maybe you could get the gig as second shooter and get a cut from there

I never wanted to shoot a wedding with my rebel. The rebel is made for just like the name says. Being a rebel and not giving a shit about "pro" stuff 

#KilledMyWife 

I never wanted to shoot a wedding with my rebel. The rebel is made for just like the name says. Being a rebel and not giving a shit about "pro" stuff 

So you would have to rent expensive equipment? just because you have a camera doesn't mean you should use it on every occasion. Lay low on this one, even if you want chicken. Don't let people take advantage of your skills or time especially if they won't appreciate it.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

So you would have to rent expensive equipment? just because you have a camera doesn't mean you should use it on every occasion. Lay low on this one, even if you want chicken. Don't let people take advantage of your skills or time especially if they won't appreciate it.

yeah, i'll just lay low

stay in my attic and only come out for food 

note to self. see if kfc delivers 

#KilledMyWife 

Most people have no idea how much work a Photographer puts in, and it's usually double or triple the work for a Wedding. $1000 is peanuts for a Wedding Photographer. Most good ones charge anywhere between $4000 and $7500, and are well worth it.

Hell, the $100 is so stupid it should have been an automatic yes. If they can afford a wedding, they can afford the $100 and some damn chicken!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

tell em to f**k off, family is just another word for leech.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

wow if any of my family wanted that done they would make me take $1000 i feel sorry for u to have such a demanding family that doesnt give a crap about u if i was u i wouldnt do it at all!

Go and enjoy the wedding! Even though she is family, she shouldn't expect you to shoot for free. There is ALOT of work when it comes to wedding shoots.

As a wedding present you could offer to do an engagement shoot for them if they haven't already done so, and I'm guessing they haven't as they don't have a photographer yet. So they get nice photos from you and you get photos for your portfolio. Not only that, they may really want your services and may be willing to pay.

Either way, good luck!

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

I don't think he was talking about your equipment.

Having a back up photographer + equipment is definitely a good idea for a wedding incase your equipment fails or you get sick, unlikely but it happens. You will probably find that important moments happen simultaneously or you may require two angles especially during the ceremony when your movement will be restricted... 2nd even 3rd shooters are common practice for weddings.

I think what CaptainSi said about doing stuff for family is good advice too, but if you're comfortable with it then you will be fine. 1000+ photos isn't really ideal, your original target sounds more realistic, I think you'll just have to explain that to her that you want to focus on quality rather than quantity.

Best of luck :)

For 100 bucks i would take pictures with a smartphone and instagram filters, i mean, what does she expect, shittons of work for free? 

Stand your ground. Too much work for free and the possibility that they will complain if they think you didn't do a good enough job, people will say things to family that they wouldn't say to strangers. Tell them to get a professional and they it will be worth the money if they want awesome pics, and uploaded on the same day wtf are they thinking. Family can be complete a$$es.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

That's a great video about it.

Here are the rest that hes done about it

https://www.youtube.com/user/JaredPolin/search?query=wedding

He talks about a few things, but he mentions time and amount which I like. He says that it can take him about two weeks and that they'll get about 500 photos. And I agree, if you gave them more you'd be sacrificing quality for quantity which isn't ever worth it.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

$100 plus a bucket of chicken is extremely reasonable for all that work...your Aunt is asking too much for free.  You should tell her to get someone else.....there's no way.

That's a great video about it.

Here are the rest that hes done about it

https://www.youtube.com/user/JaredPolin/search?query=wedding

He talks about a few things, but he mentions time and amount which I like. He says that it can take him about two weeks and that they'll get about 500 photos. And I agree, if you gave them more you'd be sacrificing quality for quantity which isn't ever worth it.

I have every raw talk he ever made on my psp and I listened to that one. I love that podcast 

#KilledMyWife 

Come on man.....it's just pictures. It's not like your having to replace her transmission!  There's an opportunity here for you to get some great PR - Just think of all the people your aunt is going to brag to about the great pictures she has of her wedding that her nephew did for her as a wedding gift! 

Not to mention the return you can get later on down the line when you remind your aunt of what you did for her on her wedding day. 

Besides, she's family. That should be enough.

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

Come on man.....it's just pictures. It's not like your having to replace her transmission!  There's an opportunity here for you to get some great PR - Just think of all the people your aunt is going to brag to about the great pictures she has of her wedding that her nephew did for her as a wedding gift! 

Not to mention the return you can get later on down the line when you remind your aunt of what you did for her on her wedding day. 

Besides, she's family. That should be enough.

I took the job... 

#KilledMyWife 

free?  and are you doing to do a pro job or a job that reflects of it being free? 

free?  and are you doing to do a pro job or a job that reflects of it being free? 

pro job, i'm renting the hebrew trinity L lenses 

#KilledMyWife