Samsung BGA nvme ssd

spartaman64

Samsung is stacking the controller nand chips and ram on top of each other instead of laying them out on a pcb enabling them to make an compact AIO ssd chip. It will come in 512GB, 256GB, and 128GB of capactiy and has read speeds of 1500MB/s and write speeds of 900MB/s with turbowrite technology. Has iops of 190k read and 150k write.  

Configuring the PM971-NVMe SSD in a single BGA package was enabled by combining 16 of Samsung’s 48-layer 256-gigabit (Gb) V-NAND flash chips, one 20-nanometer 4Gb LPDDR4 mobile DRAM chip and a high-performance Samsung controller. The new SSD is 20mm x 16mm x 1.5mm and weighs only about one gram (an American dime by comparison weighs 2.3 grams). The single-package SSD’s volume is approximately a hundredth of a 2.5” SSD or HDD, and its surface area is about a fifth of an M.2 SSD, allowing much more design flexibility for computing device manufacturers.

omg.jpg

512GB-BGA-NVMe-SSD_03.jpg

source: https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-mass-producing-industrys-first-512-gigabyte-nvme-ssd-in-a-single-bga-package-for-more-flexibility-in-computing-device-design

This is probably going to be really expensive but its still really cool and as the price comes down it would be cool to see this in phones and other compact computers.

Aaaand we're still getting 16GB iPhones from Apple in 2016...

This is ridiculous.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

seems like there's still innovation in the storage sector... good to know

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

How hot is that going to get with what was already a hot stick now packed into a tiny square?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, failblox said:

Aaaand we're still getting 16GB iPhones from Apple in 2016...

This is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How hot is that going to get with what was already a hot stick now packed into a tiny square?

This was exactly my though - the SM951 runs really quite hot while the 950 Pro thermally throttles.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My thoughts exactly. Current NVMe SSDs get quite toasty, that thing probably needs a waterblock on it.

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

This was exactly my though - the SM951 runs really quite hot while the 950 Pro thermally throttles.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

My thoughts exactly. Current NVMe SSDs get quite toasty, that thing probably needs a waterblock on it.

And yet I still don't see any "agrees" on my comment... 9_9

/jk

Oh, and @spartaman64, you should really include a quote from that source in your post as well.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

/jk

Oh, and @spartaman64, you should really include a quote from that source in your post as well.

Fishing for points I see. :P /s

I need one.

Right now.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Would love to see this found in a phone...

512GB of storage sounds great.

Even better with 2 of them in RAID 0, 1TB of data in such a tiny footprint...

I think Samsung is already making 16 64 128 version of those for the 6s (plus). But damn thats awesome.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Keep in mind that it's BGA. I don't personally care but there are probably a bunch of people who praise it now, but will then curse it when they find out they can't replace it because it's soldered to the board. 

Pretty sure one can underclock this SSD for use in phones and stuff...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

7 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

EK, make some water blocks for this thing, please thank you.

50 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Pretty sure one can underclock this SSD for use in phones and stuff...

The iPhone 6S(Plus) already has an PCI-e NVMe based SSD in it.

Ye ole' train

17 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

EK, make some water blocks for this thing, please thank you.

Yeah but you can't easily put a waterblock for one on an mITX board or in a laptop.

4 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The iPhone 6S(Plus) already has an PCI-e NVMe based SSD in it.

Idk if it's Samsung; what I meant in general is that no one needs to run an 950 Pro in full throttle if one were to cram one inside a phone.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

22 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Idk if it's Samsung; what I meant in general is that no one needs to run an 950 Pro in full throttle if one were to cram one inside a phone.

It's made by toshiba for 6s and sk hynix for 6s plus. Both are nvme

Info: ifixit

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

/jk

i like to paraphrase instead of quoting. includes all the information with less words

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Keep in mind that it's BGA. I don't personally care but there are probably a bunch of people who praise it now, but will then curse it when they find out they can't replace it because it's soldered to the board. 

they can probably stick this on a m.2 card

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

they can probably stick this on a m.2 card

Uh, no. It's BGA for a reason: it's attached directly to the board which allows you to make a much smaller solution. That's why they solder RAM on these days: it takes up much less space allowing for thinner/smaller designs.

At best, I could see them utilizing some of the R&D from this to increase density of m.2 products but in the end you don't gain all that much. The impressive thing about this is how dense you can make a high performance SSD but you ruin that achievement the moment you stick it on an m.2 card which is much bigger (even if you attach two or three BGA chips onto the product). In either case: it would be an entirely different product if they Frankenstein'ed a BGA chip onto an AIB and I don't think you'd gain anything worthwhile from it. 

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

i like to paraphrase instead of quoting. includes all the information with less words

Yes but the requirements for a news article in this section are as follows:

• A source link (check)
  • Your opinion on the story (check)
  • A quote from the article (missing)
  • (optional) an image

you can read the full details here: 

14 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

It doesn't really though:

As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review/Thermal-Throttling-Conclusio

In their WAN show thing, they even stated that hot exhaust air from a GPU would cool it down enough to prevent it, even if they exhaust was 65c (I believe). In praxis you will never experience this issue.

On topic though, this thing looks amazing, and makes both SATA drives, U.2 drives and normal ATX cases look even dumber and pointless. It's mostly the controller getting overheated, so a phone would probably not even be able to make it hot.

Now put 5 of those on an M.2 2280 or 7 on a 22110 drive :D

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Quite awesome. Can't wait to see this in products.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes but the requirements for a news article in this section are as follows:

• A source link (check)
  • Your opinion on the story (check)
  • A quote from the article (missing)
  • (optional) an image

you can read the full details here: 

ok included a quote