[Build Log] $120 LAN PC, its finally happening!

1 minute ago, TheCamba said:

If you can get your hands on a legitimate copy of Win7 or something, that would be worth testing out.  Try 1 stick of ram at a time in each slot and test it.  That could cause issues too.  Worth taking a look at.  Try a different cooler?  Pick up Hyper TX3.  

Still, its fun to mess with old parts and getting it to run.

i have no money for a cooler nor windows at the moment but i will add a cooler to the list of stuff that i might do, i will want to overclock this CPU and the GPU if i can but that will be later when i have actiually got some more decent parts and stuff

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

35 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have no money for a cooler nor windows at the moment but i will add a cooler to the list of stuff that i might do, i will want to overclock this CPU and the GPU if i can but that will be later when i have actiually got some more decent parts and stuff

Even if you don't get a legitimate license copy, just borrow an installation from a friend.  You can choose to license it later if you want.  That would help you test for a week or so.

2 hours ago, TheCamba said:

Even if you don't get a legitimate license copy, just borrow an installation from a friend.  You can choose to license it later if you want.  That would help you test for a week or so.

well i im going to be gone for a few weeks so i really cant do anything now seeing as im leaving tomorrow, anyway i will probably make a proper update when i have actual time

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

wow i have been gone for soooo long now, but here is an update on the project atleast because some stuff might be happaning pretty soon with it but dont get your hopes up seeing as this might not work out for me if the seller is a duche, anyway here is what i have planned right now:

proper case(mom wont let me use it as a server otherwise :/ )

new PSU because something that might be comming needs more POWER!!! :D 

dedicated display for the LAN PC so i wont need to share my main display because thats a huge pain

and here is the SUPER AWESOME PART!!!

Spoiler

SLI 660s!!!! yes i worked some during my weeks away from the internet and then just found a deal on a pair of 660s for $65 and thats why im looking for a proper PSU to power it but mainly because i need more PCI power connectors because right now im using a molex to PCI 6 pin addapter i had to power my GPU because the PSU had no connectors itself. anyway sorry for all the spoilers but im super hyped and i REALLY hope i can snatch theese 660s because together they are pretty close to my 970 in performance so this is going to be pretty sweet and probably bottlenecked to hell by the Q6600 becuase i havent overclocked it yet because i have yet to find a CPU cooler for it thats a bit better then what i have strapped to it at the moment

anyway thats about it, nothing is happaning really in this updtate but stuff will happen in maby one or two weeks probably when i have everything together and can start building and testing it :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, GuyManDude said:

wow i wonder how linux will handle those things :P 

more like how will Steam OS handle me swapping hardware :P stuff is going to go badly i feel xD not that i mind tho, thats a part of all this which i like

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

more like how will Steam OS handle me swapping hardware :P stuff is going to go badly i feel xD not that i mind tho, thats a part of all this which i like

haha true! hows steamOS.. is it more stable then the other distro?

3 minutes ago, GuyManDude said:

haha true! hows steamOS.. is it more stable then the other distro?

seems to work now that i swapped out the RAM, havent tested it that much because the LAN party i was going to was canceled but its been good to me this far

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

seems to work now that i swapped out the RAM, havent tested it that much because the LAN party i was going to was canceled but its been good to me this far

Sweet! yea I've had bad sticks of RAM cause some pretty random problems.. hopefully thats all it was.

6 minutes ago, GuyManDude said:

Sweet! yea I've had bad sticks of RAM cause some pretty random problems.. hopefully thats all it was.

yah RAM can cause some pretty random problems for you

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE: my main gaming PCs SSD broke so im wrighting this from the LAN PC and its horrible because it wont accept anything but a US keyboard layout for me so im going to be swapping away from Steam OS, its not the only or even the main reason but its the reason that annoys me the most, the main reason beeing that i cant find a good way of overclocking on Steam OS thats not BIOS flashing your GPUs, something that im not too keen on doing tbh. Im not sure if im staying on Linux or if im going to get a Windows key on Reddit or something and im not sure if im staying with the cardboard box even but there are no used cases for sale nearby seeing as all that is in southern Sweden :| anyway the 660s are here but im not putting anything in before the PSU is here, so no pics, price breakdowns or any of that for now, also becuase its a pain to wright anything on the LAN PC with this stupid US keyboard layout... anyway thats it for now il update when the PSU arrives and i can start to install the SLI 660s and swapping over the OS to either windows or back to Linux Mint.

Builds:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

How can you spend so much on the CPU + MB + RAM? I spent £32 on all of that with the same amount of RAM and same CPU.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, Brennan_Price said:

How can you spend so much on the CPU + MB + RAM? I spent £32 on all of that with the same amount of RAM and same CPU.

because in Sweden its freaking impossible to get anything used tbh, and that was a good deal tbh, the situation is that noone replies, there is almost nothing out there and everything is generaly expensive AF, people try to get basically the price they paied for the product when re selling here and with no room for barganing and if you are thinking "oh just use Ebay or Amazon" thats a no because shipping from outside(and withing tbh) Sweden is super expensive, for example, buying a CPU on ebay, price might be $20 then shipping is another $20+ because its either in Asia or in the US. its silly, and even shipping from GB is silly(taken from when they acctiually were in the EU too :/ ), so the only option i have is to look for used parts online on sites here in Sweden. also i had been looking for about a month before i found that deal and i acctiually got 8GB of RAM with 4GB that was faster but broken. also no datacenter hardware resellers anywhere around me either because im not down south around Stockholm or Gothenburg(nor do i really want to be tbh)

Builds:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

because in Sweden its freaking impossible to get anything used tbh, and that was a good deal tbh, the situation is that noone replies, there is almost nothing out there and everything is generaly expensive AF, people try to get basically the price they paied for the product when re selling here and with no room for barganing and if you are thinking "oh just use Ebay or Amazon" thats a no because shipping from outside(and withing tbh) Sweden is super expensive, for example, buying a CPU on ebay, price might be $20 then shipping is another $20+ because its either in Asia or in the US. its silly, and even shipping from GB is silly(taken from when they acctiually were in the EU too :/ ), so the only option i have is to look for used parts online on sites here in Sweden. also i had been looking for about a month before i found that deal and i acctiually got 8GB of RAM with 4GB that was faster but broken. also no datacenter hardware resellers anywhere around me either because im not down south around Stockholm or Gothenburg(nor do i really want to be tbh)

Damn bro, I feel sorry for you. I must admit, though, the motherboard you have is probably much better but my MB still supports 4 sticks of ram, 6 HHD's and it even came with the cooler all for £16. I got the case for free because I asked one of my local IT shops if they had any cases they were throwing out or were for scrap. Maybe you should try that because the case that I got has loads of HDD bays and all the IO works and stuff. So, that's the only advice I have for you, try if you can get a scrap PC case to put it in because it is obviously better than a cardboard box.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

Damn bro, I feel sorry for you. I must admit, though, the motherboard you have is probably much better but my MB still supports 4 sticks of ram, 6 HHD's and it even came with the cooler all for £16. I got the case for free because I asked one of my local IT shops if they had any cases they were throwing out or were for scrap. Maybe you should try that because the case that I got has loads of HDD bays and all the IO works and stuff. So, that's the only advice I have for you, try if you can get a scrap PC case to put it in because it is obviously better than a cardboard box.

there are no local IT shops. i live in the largest citty for about 30km and there is not a single used PC parts, or similar shop in town.  people just throw away there shit because Sweden is a rich country and people can afford that apparently... :/ pisses me off tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

there are no local IT shops. i live in the largest citty for about 30km and there is not a single used PC parts, or similar shop in town.  people just throw away there shit because Sweden is a rich country and people can afford that apparently... :/ pisses me off tbh

Well, I didn't get mine from a direct "used parts store". I simply just went into an IT shop. Also, you could try searching or use gumtree or something and hopefully you can find a case that way. I have seen old PC's in rubbish bins and taken them home before. Maybe check your nearest rubbish tip cuz if you say people are just simply binning everything then it may be worth a shot.

My Rig:

1 minute ago, Brennan_Price said:

Well, I didn't get mine from a direct "used parts store". I simply just went into an IT shop. Also, you could try searching or use gumtree or something and hopefully you can find a case that way. I have seen old PC's in rubbish bins and taken them home before. Maybe check your nearest rubbish tip cuz if you say people are just simply binning everything then it may be worth a shot.

yah the thing is, you cant take that stuff. the only "dump" around is a recycling center and they want to reuse all of it. and also no IT shops. there is nothing like that... closest thing i would guess is the "local"(10km away) overpriced tech retailer, Kjell och company. i only go there if im desperate... basically its impossible for me to get anything thats a better deal by much then what i got to be honest. its really bad here. i have searched for shops several times and even gone to charity shops that sell stuff for charity, but there is no real way to get stuff here. litteraly everything i have bought ever in the way of PC things have come from southern Sweden, where people seem to be willing to sell there things because they basically bathe in them(thats the general picture i get from browising adds online dayly tbh..). 

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE(1/2):

IT IS DONE(for now lol)!!!

i made it work, SLI works, boots into Linux Mint fine, only thing i need to do with it to "finish it up" is to get it a case(probably custom aluminium thing if i can) and get a CPU cooler so i can start overclocking the shit out of it :) 1.6V here i come basically lol. anyway here is all the pictures, a price breakdown and what happaned and all that for you:

It all started when i closed the deal on 2 GTX 660s a few weeks back, final price for those were roughly $100(with shipping). that may sound crazy but thats just Swedens used market for you, and there were 2 of them :P anyway after that i realised that the piddely 400 or so Watt PSU i has wasent nearly enough power for 2 GTX 660s, and not even close if i wanted to overclock them AND the CPU so i scouted around for powersupplies and pretty quickly picked up a Coolermaster G750M for $71(with shipping) which was a pretty awesome deal for me, waaay overkill but still, its a good PSU and it was basically what i could find around :) the GPUs arrived first:

IMG_20160802_133808.jpg

IMG_20160802_133921.jpg

some of the best packadging i have ever seen tbh

IMG_20160802_134113.jpg

even anti static bags!

IMG_20160802_134208.jpgand here we finaly see the GPUs, you might be thinkig "BUT WAIT, those are mis matched!" and you would be right but they work fine together and have been in the previus owners system working super well without any problems, i will just need to make sure to OC them the same probably and it should be fine :)

IMG_20160802_134309.jpg

here is everything that was in the box, even a long SLI bridge(waaay to long tbh) 

the next thing to arive was the PSU:

IMG_20160804_154734.jpgIMG_20160804_154927.jpg

waaay over speced, just look at the power on the 12V rail O.o it came with all the cables that it should, all wrapped up nice and stuff but i dont have a picture of that, it was anyway super nicely packed and came with no damage or anything.

so now it was time to dismantle the old LAN PC:

IMG_20160804_155310.jpg

but thats in the next part because LTT wont let me upload all the pictures in one post :P anyway part 2 in either done or im wrighting it as you are reading this :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE(2/2):

Here is the second part of the rebuild/upgrade log of the LAN PC:

Ok the first thing i did was to remove the old 8800GT from the system:

IMG_20160804_155451.jpg

then i clipped off all the zipties that i worked so hard on fastening last time, but they had to go now, so i could remove the motherboard:

IMG_20160804_164809.jpg

and flip this thing from single card to dual :D IMG_20160804_164919.jpg

then i placed the 660s on it:

IMG_20160804_165050.jpg

and after that i placed it into this:

IMG_20160804_170537.jpg

its new home! the new case basically because the cardboard box was un savable because the PSU was put in with dubble sided tape :| yay... anyway i made some scratches in the side as you can see on the above picture and this is how the motherboard sits in it:

IMG_20160804_170545.jpg

and then i did the most anoying, and hardest work i have ever done in my life. it was pure hell. like working with a mix of glass and steal. it cracked, it was hard to cut, and i think i spent 2 or 3h on just making theese holes:

IMG_20160804_195049.jpg

you can see that the PSU cut out at the top is a tad worse then the rest,  thats because i used a knife an scissors for that. worst. decition. ever. thats something i will never do again because it just cracked and screwed me over and it was hell. the rest i used a jigsaw for and that worked better but that still took ages to do. it was pretty bad, but once done i could start with the fun parts, placing the hardware in there! :D IMG_20160804_201232.jpg

fist comes the motherboard

IMG_20160804_210152.jpg

then the HDD and PSU

and lastly:

IMG_20160804_210940.jpg

the GPUS :D just look at that sick cable management! its thousands of times better then my main pc... its silly and thats when i knew, something was not going to work. it was way to nice looking for it to work. and that was exactly what happaned. what followed this picture was 6 hours of debugging, trying to make it start. it just didnt. NOTHING i did worked. so i went to bed and the next day, i spent another 6 hours on trying to make it work and it worked. it was one of my happiest moments ever hearing it rip to life as it sounded like someone started a turbo jet in my kitchen and you could hear a male voice shouting "YEEESSSS!!! IT F*** WORKS BITCHES!!!!!" throughout the block lol. then it turned out i needed to update the BIOS to make SLI work, a nice guy over on reddit helped me with that and that JUST got working. i needed to make a FreeDOS USB with Rufus from my MAIN pc(didnt work when i did it with my laptop) and that computer was broken whilst i was building the LAN PC and i didnt think of testing running the Rufus FreeDOS thing from my main PC untill today and it worked, i got the BIOS updated from 0401 to 1406 and now everything workes like it should as far as i have seen, both GPUs show up in NVIDIA Xserver and now all i need to do is get a CPU cooler and download some benchmark programs and NVclock or similar so i can overclock my CPU and GPU :D so here is a price breakdown and an updated specs list:

CPU + Mobo + RAM: $96.4

GPU: $100.1

PSU: $71.1

Case + HDD: free

Total: $267.6 or 2253 SEK

New specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

GPUs: 1x EVGA GTX 660 FTW(top slot) 1x Gigabyte GTX 660 Winforce 2x(bottom slot)

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

PSU: CoolerMaster G750M(750W)

Case: Plastic Box

HDD: WD2500YS 250GB 7200rpm

also i had to swap the cards position, the EVGA one in the top and the Gigabyte one on the bottom because otherwise the EVGA one would fall out because the SATA cable hit the cooler and prevented it from going all the way in and locking in to the slot :P 

That is all for now, feel free to ask any questions and things like that about the build, next stage is case and CPU cooler and after that super budget water cooling if anyone was wondering where this was going, tho watercooling may just never happen tbh lol. Thanks for sticking out with me whilst i build this LAN PC, its light, compact and its going to its first LAN party the 20th of this month so in 8 days, its just a small thing at a palls house but still, its going to be the first time using for what i built it for and its going to be awesome, might post an update from there but probably not. anyway thanks for following and all that so much and its awesome that anyone bothers to read all this :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

On 6/4/2016 at 6:36 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok seems like the Swedish post office dont want to work on Saturdays so parts will be here on Monday or Tuesday probably :(  

I know the feeling, I have to wait a month or so for parts to come in for my own build log the case I want to use has been delayed to Tuesday although it's literally a mile drive from here.

This has been a great read so far and I'm looking forward to see what's next.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

6 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

I know the feeling, I have to wait a month or so for parts to come in for my own build log the case I want to use has been delayed to Tuesday although it's literally a mile drive from here.

This has been a great read so far and I'm looking forward to see what's next.

im glad that you enjoy it :) makes me happy that people read this so it isnt just for nothing :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DawN the 13 year old said:

I got my asus p6x58d-e and i7 950 for 77 usd (£60)

thats a pretty great deal tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

On 2016-08-15 at 3:42 PM, TheCamba said:

Nice work.  Creativity is the father of necessity.

Builds:

Spoiler