[Build Log] $120 LAN PC, its finally happening!

If you want updates that go further then this thread follow me here on the forums, sometimes my status updats contain some info. I have decided to discontinue this thread quite a while ago and even the latest specs in this thread are quite outdated, im on revision 6 or something now while this thread goes to 4.5 or something like that.

The specs of the machine and how it looks ect have changed a lot in the latest update, go further in the thread to see that now or go through the evolution of the build as it was made :) 

Ok so i have been trying to track down some cheap hardware for a while now for this build and i finally closed the deal on the final parts. Its been on a very extreme budget and i have been looking for the right deal and the right seller(one that actually responds) and now i have all the parts on there way to me, so without further ado lets get to the hardware and price breakdown!

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT(custom passive cooler(now with 140mm fan))

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

PSU: Dell 300W

Case: Cardboard box

HDD: WD2500YS 250GB 7200rpm

Price(all prices converted from SEK to USD):

CPU + Mobo + RAM = $96.4

GPU = $24.1

HDD + PSU + Case = Free

Total: $120.5 or 1000SEK(exactly)

The budget for this PC was extremely tight and it took a lot of effort to track down the best deals, and when i found something awesome i was either deal sniped by someone with a bigger budget or the seller just didn't respond. Sweden is a generally hard country to track down hardware in, we have a couple of good places like Blocket and the Sweclockers forum buy/sell section but even with both of those its hard to score a good deal if you dont live in the south. I scored the deal on the CPU, Motherboard and RAM just yesterday and confirmed it just before writing this and its being sent tomorrow and its a superb deal seeing as a Q6600 is usually around $43(450sek) and for a decent motherboard Ebay is your best bet and those go for around $45 + shipping, and thats very expensive to Sweden usually so without this deal there was no way this was happening. The PSU was a score from a load of old office PCs i had a chance to gut last year and the HDD was a gift from a friend who also scored some old PCs around that time. The graphics card was a misbuy by me some time early spring and it was going to be used for an old server i have but it was so old it didnt even use PCI-E for graphics so its just been in my room waiting to be used and it was the part that inspired me to starting the search for the best deals in Sweden, knowing i had an insane budget. This PC got some more tasks a week ago when i started using bots on my Discord server and seeing as i like to have 100% control of what goes on there i am hosting them myself so this PC is going to be more then just a LAN PC. I will be using this PC for a couple of things here they are: 1: LAN PC 2:Discord Bot server 3: A platform to play with Linux on. 4: Some fun before the summer. The only game i will be playing on it is CS:GO because its the only game i really LAN with my friends and seeing as thats not a very demanding game, i already had a GPU and HDD i thought this would be a fun project for the start of the summer. Build will start as soon as i get the CPU, Motherboard and RAM and i will post plenty of pictures, and possibly a time laps of the build if i remember to set that up.

Upgrades for the future:

LED strips

Paint for the "case"

Better GPU / SLI

Thanks for reading and i hope you will enjoy this extreme budget build!

Bonus pics of the hardware i have on hand right now:

IMG_20160601_231527.jpg

IMG_20160601_231618.jpg

IMG_20160601_231627.jpg

Look at that massive passive cooler!!!

IMG_20160601_231700.jpg

IMG_20160601_231709.jpg

Incredibly sexy HDD, just look at it!

Sorry for the picture quality but my One Plus 2 isnt too great in medium light :/ 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Almost instantly following :P Cardboard box...

oh yes :D thanks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Cardboard box = not suitable for the purpose, and potentially dangerous:

4 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Cardboard box = not suitable for the purpose, and potentially dangerous:

its what i can afford so its what im going with, going to see if i can dig up some fans from the pile of PC junk i have too

Builds:

Spoiler

Minor update: 

made a mock-up of the system using a shitty old 775 mobo i had lying around and some ddr1 memory(yes, i know its usually ddr2 but this board takes ddr1 fsr...) just to find all the adapters and cables needed for the build, pictures of the mock-up are on there way, then i went around the house sticking the motherboard in cardboard boxes and when i found one it fit nicely in i took it with me and tried to assemble the system in it, in most cases(pun intended) the PSU didn't fit beside the motherboard but i found a box that has about half a millimeter from the motherboard to the PSU so im going to say that box is fine for now, have yet to cut out any IO hole in it because im not sure if i will be using it seeing as i haven't tested assembling the system in it, will do that right after i post this update!

Builds:

Spoiler

Ok here are the pictures!

IMG_20160602_193507.jpg

thats the mockup i made on my table

here is the mock-up in the selected box!

IMG_20160602_200040.jpg

Thats all for now, just waiting for parts now, i also need to look up the 24 pin connectors placement on the motherboard im getting so i know were to put the PSU and i also need to make a backplate for the CPU cooler and make holes in the box, but thats for after i get the parts. Parts should arrive tomorrow, so i will be posting more after they come here, might make the backplate for the CPU cooler tomorrow too!

Builds:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

8800gt. 

Whatever, following.

thanks man, didnt see your comment untill now when i posted the update, sorry :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

Looking good banana! I'm glad u finally found some parts that hadn't already been sold =P

1 minute ago, GuyManDude said:

Looking good banana! I'm glad u finally found some parts that hadn't already been sold =P

thanks, yah took quite a while to find anything decent for the money :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

Ok seems like the Swedish post office dont want to work on Saturdays so parts will be here on Monday or Tuesday probably :(  

Builds:

Spoiler

Update:

I made the back plate for the CPU cooler, it took me several hours to make because i messed up 2 times :P 

Ok so here is what I started off with:

IMG_20160604_175643.jpg

I put the cooler on it, punched it with my fist to make some marks and took a sharpie and marked out what you see above, then I cut it down to a reasonable size:

IMG_20160604_180705.jpg

I then made some holes in it with a 3mm drill and counter sunk the holes on the back, the cordless drill ran out of battery and then I realized that it was waaaaay too thick and I went to look for other pieces of thin wood and found this:

IMG_20160604_184848.jpg

That seemed like a good choice until I found some really thin plywood and did what i had done to the other piece only to realize that yet again, it was too thick. So after spending a good two hours or so in the basement doing useless things I went upstairs, grabbed a piece of plastic and I once again placed the cooler on it, punched the cooler, cut it down and made holes and this is what i ended up with:

IMG_20160604_195206.jpg

Works pretty good and keeps the cooler on the dummy board pretty solidly. parts should be here on Monday or Tuesday and then I can finally get to assembling all of it. also if anyone is wondering how im going to secure everything to the box the simple answer is cable ties and possibly some more plywood, but mainly cable ties.

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE 1/2 :

Ok so today a lot of stuff happened but to start this from the beggining the parts arived today, here are some pictures:

IMG_20160607_135327.jpg

a pretty huge packadge for just a motherboard, some RAM and a CPU dont you think?

IMG_20160607_135639.jpg

Loads of stuffing to keep it safe

IMG_20160607_135651.jpg

IMG_20160607_151206.jpgIMG_20160607_151227.jpgeverything was in anti static bags and super well packaged

Here is what was in there:

IMG_20160607_151532.jpg

IMG_20160607_151443.jpg

Pretty good for my budget, there is a total of 8GB of ram at the same speed but there different clocks so im not sure if i should try and use the other sticks or not. im right now using the ones with massive aluminium heatsinks as you will see in the second part of this update because i can only post so many pictures at once before it says no :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE 2/2:

Ok so seeing as the parts arrived today i got to building the system, first outside to make sure everything was working and then i built it in the box:

IMG_20160607_152937.jpg

Thats everything assembled outside, tho the 200mm fan needed to be changed because it was wired up wrong so i just replaced it.

IMG_20160607_202531.jpg

Thats the final selection of parts assembled outside and running Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, this is what i have settled on for right now seeing as its the only distro i have spent more then 5mins in so i almost know my way around some of it :P it also happens to be the nicest desktop environment IMO judging from this guide.

Ok here is the timelaps i made of final assembly seeing as i could not bother to take pictures every 5mins when i did something and i also just wanted to try it out, excuse the horrible hair, just before assembling i was out playing paintball with some friends:

Ok here are some last pictures for now:

IMG_20160607_222205.jpg

System in its final state for now

IMG_20160607_223102.jpg

Running Linux Mint!

IMG_20160607_202811.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

oh man that packing box is hilarious!!! I'm surprised it made it in 1 piece.

I'm glad to see it finally up and running.

P.S that GPU cooler is insane haha :P

UPDATE:

Ok here is a bit of an update for you,

runs CS:GO medium settings 1280x1024 just fine with it never going bellow 45 fps and going as high as 120 fps, depends on the map and such. BUT thats only good for about 10 - 15 minutes, after that it starts thermal throtteling and the FPS goes down to 1- 15 ish fps which is compleatly unplayable, it has a 120mm fan blowing loads of air on the cooler and it still thermal throttles. so in conclution, the hunt for a new cheepo GPU has just begun, budget is whatever i might have left in my wallet + whatever i can sell of this 8800GT for :P i might also keep the 8800GT and try to find some better way of cooling it but im not sure what i would do seeing as im already using up both the fan headers on the motherboard... anyway, this might be the last update for a while, seeing as i am probably not going to be at home much this summer. i might get 2 weeks here at the start of my summer break but i have no idea if i will have any time for this project beyond those weeks. :/ 

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE:

More stuff has happened:

i strapped a 140mm fan to the 8800GT and spliced it into a 12V molex cable and now the card runs nice and cool and there is no thermal throttling :D it still seems to crash though so i need to look more into that. might have been just because i was playing at 1280x720 with black-bars instead of 1280x1024 but im not sure. more investigation is needed, anyway here is some more "eye candy"(not really though, looks pretty crap tbh :P )IMG_20160610_180657.jpgIMG_20160609_163603.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well CS:GO just got an update(a few days ago but i got home today) and now CS:GO seems to be running fine, i need to do some final testing but on Dust 2 i was getting 75-120 fps and no crashes through 2 casual games against bots so i need to do some actual multiplayer testing but this far it seems to be doing good at around medium settings with FXAA disabled and lowest shaders, that seems to be working good so i dont dare touch the settings right now :P well the LAN PC is a constantly evolving project and next up is running Discord bots from it and all the other things i planned for it. i would say this project is quite a success right now, even though i have struggled with counterstrike a whole load and cooling for the GPU too but now it seems like its working awesome and i hope to take it to an actual LAN party soon, though there is nothing big that i know of that i can attend in the near future, but there will probably be a LAN party with my friends soonish, so sometimes this summer. il keep you updated whenever something happens with it or i get to the next thing of the list :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE:

wow im really cranking out updates here but i guess a lot of things are happening now that i have free time :P anyway seeing as Linux Mint dosent want to play nice with CS:GO i have decided to hop around a load of distros to see what i like and what will work with CS:GO, il update when i have decided on what to go with and i have tested thoroughly that CS:GO works and that there are NO issues, anyway thats all for now and first out on the list of distors: Lubuntu :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

What about the SteamOS? 

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

1 minute ago, DarkShadowUK said:

What about the SteamOS? 

yah thats what im about to try xD i didnt want to use it because im not really a fan tbh and i didnt know i had a regular desktop i could work with either, anyway its taking its time because my OS usb stick broke and downloads corrupted or something but thats what im going to try next :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah thats what im about to try xD i didnt want to use it because im not really a fan tbh and i didnt know i had a regular desktop i could work with either, anyway its taking its time because my OS usb stick broke and downloads corrupted or something but thats what im going to try next :) 

Let me know how it goes, Got enough spare parts around to build a system, But dont wanna stick Windows on it, So will be going with a Linux OS, Have LinuxMint on an old laptop, So wont really wanna install that like to test something different ^^

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

1 minute ago, DarkShadowUK said:

Let me know how it goes, Got enough spare parts around to built a system, But dont wanna stick Windows on it, So will be going with a Linux OS, Have LinuxMint on an old laptop, So wont really wanna install that like to test something different ^^

sure there will be a proper update on all of this if it works or even if it dosent because if CS:GO is having problems on Valves own OS then some hardware is failing :/ 

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE:

Ok so CS:GO does not want to play nice with me and i have no idea why, no OS i have tried has worked, not even Steam OS and for Steam OS i needed to use a fork from 2015 to even use my GPU seeing as Steam OS comes with drivers that only support GTX 400 series cards and up so the 8800GT wouldent work(this is something they never mention anywhere >:() but even then CS:GO crashes and the first time it crashed so hard it literally took the entire OS with it and i needed to re install Steam OS.... i will try swapping the RAM because thats the only thing i can change and i have spare but if that dosent work i have no idea what to do, i could change the HDD but im almost 100% sure thats not the problem here seeing as its acting like normal and nothing else i have tried doing has had any problems what so ever. if anyone has any idea what the problem might be or what part of the PC is dying i would love to know, but if its not the RAM this project is basically dead for now. i might just pirate a copy of windows 7 or something to put on it and see if thats any better but i dont like doing stuff like that tbh. thats all for now, and il make another update if something happens, like i sell it off or something

Builds:

Spoiler

If you can get your hands on a legitimate copy of Win7 or something, that would be worth testing out.  Try 1 stick of ram at a time in each slot and test it.  That could cause issues too.  Worth taking a look at.  Try a different cooler?  Pick up Hyper TX3.  

Still, its fun to mess with old parts and getting it to run.