Problem with old HDD in external Case

Agility
Go to solution Solved by Agility,
9 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello :)

Could you post a screenshot of the way the drive is recognized in Disk Management and the brand and model of the drive?
The safest way would be to simply backing up the drive, reformatting the whole drive and then restoring the backup, but I understand it's quite the workload. 

There are ways to do that, but it involves some tweaking that I can't really recommend so you would have to look for that on the internet or wait for someone here to post it. 

Captain_WD.

Well i borrowed another 2tb Drive from work and plugged them both into the pc. I copied everything from the old drive to the new one. Then i took the old one out and put it in the enclosure to format it on the laptop (just to make sure that it will work if i plug it in later). And now i am copying all files from the new drive back to the old drive. I will let it work trough the night since 1.5tb of data takes a while and we will see if it work. 

I think its solved so i will mark it as solved :)

So I have kind of a problem. 
I have a old Desktop with a bunch of HDDs and a SSD. 

I bought myself a new Notebook a while back and i dont use the desktop that much anymore. 

So I decided to take the Drive with all the Data out and put in an external case. 

After i plug it into my laptop i rembered that this particular drive was in the ide mode. When I got my desktop  i forgot to change it. After a while i got a ssd and put in ahci and cloned the ide drives to a ahci drive. But i didnt had and still have another 2tb drive for clonig so i stuck with this drive in ide mode. 

Is there anyway to get the drive working on my notebbok without formatting? 

Hope somebody can help.

Greetz 

Is the drive you removed that had all the data your main OS drive?

Edited by godzrule
missread

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

Yes it is listed as Dynamic and invalid. And there is a Red arrow.

6 minutes ago, godzrule said:

Is the drive you removed that had all the data your main OS drive?

No. the SSD is the OS Drive (AHCI Mode). This Drive has only Data i really need and cant afford to loose... 

18 minutes ago, Agility said:

Yes it is listed as Dynamic and invalid. And there is a Red arrow.

Strange, i have never heard of a drive showing as invalid.I will think some more if i come up with something i will get back to you, interesting issue. As far as data goes you could put the drive into a hard drive enclosure and attach it to a working OS to copy data then format for use.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

1 minute ago, godzrule said:

Strange, i have never heard of a drive showing as invalid.I will think some more if i come up with something i will get back to you, interesting issue. As far as data goes you could put the drive into a hard drive enclosure and attach it to a working OS to copy data then format for useInsert other media

Well it is in a hard drive enclosure... and my notebook is working xD but i think i will try to clone it to another drive while the old drive is plugged in as ide and the other one as ahci then putting the old one into ahci and clone it back.... ahh i dont want to do that 

17 hours ago, Agility said:

~snip~

Could you post a screenshot of the way the drive is recognized in Disk Management and the brand and model of the drive?
The safest way would be to simply backing up the drive, reformatting the whole drive and then restoring the backup, but I understand it's quite the workload. 

There are ways to do that, but it involves some tweaking that I can't really recommend so you would have to look for that on the internet or wait for someone here to post it. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

9 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD.

Well i borrowed another 2tb Drive from work and plugged them both into the pc. I copied everything from the old drive to the new one. Then i took the old one out and put it in the enclosure to format it on the laptop (just to make sure that it will work if i plug it in later). And now i am copying all files from the new drive back to the old drive. I will let it work trough the night since 1.5tb of data takes a while and we will see if it work. 

I think its solved so i will mark it as solved :)

10 hours ago, Agility said:

~snip~

Great to hear you've gotten around the problem. I do hope it's fixed now. Feel free to post back if there are other issues that pop up. 

Have in mind that 1.5TB is indeed quite a lot of data and a simple copy/paste may not work well. I'd try to look for a data moving app that can verify  the transferred data (if the current operation fails for some reason).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

4 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Great to hear you've gotten around the problem. I do hope it's fixed now. Feel free to post back if there are other issues that pop up. 

Have in mind that 1.5TB is indeed quite a lot of data and a simple copy/paste may not work well. I'd try to look for a data moving app that can verify  the transferred data (if the current operation fails for some reason).

Captain_WD.

Well everything is now done and it seems that it is working. I copied everything with Total Commander. :)

On 3.06.2016 г. at 3:40 PM, Agility said:

~snip~

Thanks for sharing the tool :) It may help other people with the same issue. 

Feel free to post back if you have other questions or issues that we may be able to help :)  

Captain_WD.