AMD Radeon RX 480

8 minutes ago, hex4 said:

1440P was around well before 4K was even a thing, 1600P too.

Yes, it was. Because there was no practical way to run 4K on most PC setups. And they sold like crap, too and the price point was very high because there were no economies of scale.

(I had a 1920 x 1200 24" monitor, too. And when the 1080 fabrication was settled on and dominated TVs, the 1200 resolution monitors became expensive, special order items. Same principle.) 

That's now going to change with the Polaris and Pascal. We'll be able to run 4K, practically speaking.

And the change on the TV side to 4K means that when it comes to fabrications, the manufacturers of these screens can focus their tools on one resolution to reduce costs.

12 minutes ago, Steel_Wind said:

*snip*

Yeah I don't think anyone can argue with cheaper 4K screens being a good thing

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I don't think anyone can argue with cheaper 4K screens being a good thing

No it wont be a bad thing but right now it's still hard to justify its premium. Which is why I had 1440p in mind because it's that sort of halfway point.  I suppose the RX 480 isnt like horrible (though I never meant to sound that way it's just a little "lame" that it doesn't seem to be quite as good as maybe it seemed it might've been) I mean for $200 to $250 getting 390 or 390X perf. is pretty good it just kind felt that AMD might not care much right now for the $300 to $450 segment. But it is totally possible for something good in that price range to come out by late summer or early fall. It's just a bit of a shame it isnt coming sooner ratber than later. But I suppose it couldve been until 2017.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Am I the only one who stopped watching once I saw it was sponsored?

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this comment, but I simply can't trust the video given how AMD sponsored the whole thing.

-[bill52600]-

CPU: Intel i5-4670k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Mobo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming (under RMA)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (2x4GB)

GPU: EVGA 750 Ti FTW

Optical Drive: The one everyone gets from Amazon for $20 (ASUS)

Steam: bill52600

Twitter: @bill52600

Reddit: w8w8

Imzy: w8w8

1 minute ago, bill52600 said:

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this comment, but I simply can't trust the video given how AMD sponsored the whole thing.

Oh wait AMD sponsored their own products? never thought that would ever be a thing /s

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, hex4 said:

Oh wait AMD sponsored their own products? never thought that would ever be a thing /s

yep, knew it was coming

-[bill52600]-

2 minutes ago, bill52600 said:

If you hadn't stopped watching, you'd have seen that it was a pretty harmless video.  Plus if you know AMD paid for it you can take it with as many grains of salt as you'd like :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, you are the only one.  And you should not have stopped. It wasn't a review. 

They showed the card, showed the power connector and monitor hook-ups on the back of the card and told us the price point.

It wasn't a review. You need to lighten up Francis.

2 minutes ago, Steel_Wind said:

Yeah, you are the only one.  And you should not have stopped. It wasn't a review. 

They showed the card, showed the power connector and monitor hook-ups on the back of the card and told us the price point.

It wasn't a review. You need to lighten up Francis.

not sure what that was a reference to

-[bill52600]-

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you hadn't stopped watching, you'd have seen that it was a pretty harmless video.  Plus if you know AMD paid for it you can take it with as many grains of salt as you'd like :P

just this one time I will make a special exception

however, I will add this to counter it just in case

-[bill52600]-

not sure what that was a reference to

Stripes.  

just this one time I will make a special exception

however, I will add this to counter it just in case

It's not like they paid Linus to talk about how the 480 is the best card ever and it's going to change the world... it's like "you like VR?  We're trying to make VR possible for cheap.  Here, hold i-- aw fu- woops.  Ah, here, hold it" :P

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's not like they paid Linus to talk about how the 480 is the best card ever and it's going to change the world... it's like "you like VR?  We're trying to make VR possible for cheap.  Here, hold i-- aw fu- woops.  Ah, here, hold it" :P

After watching it I can conclude two things:

1.)  I was a little bit wrong in stopping the video, however...

2.) It was kind of lacking imo. I wouldn't call it a "HUGE announcement" given that only its look, price, and intentions were shown off. Not sure if this determination was made in part by the sponsorship, but who can tell anymore.

-[bill52600]-

2 hours ago, Monkeypeas said:

i think the amd reference blower cooler looks better than the nvidia one now, whats wrong with me D:

It looks so sleek maybe? Maybe all 90° angles? I'm not sure why, but i do love it.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

25 minutes ago, bill52600 said:

Why? Literally the only thing the video did was confirm the pricepoint. Are you saying you don't trust... the pricepoint?

"If you always say no, you'll never say yes."

If they can sell the 480x for something as good as bargain as this, then I'm sold. Was planning on grabbing a 1080 in a few weeks. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

56 minutes ago, bill52600 said:

46 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah. Seriously. Linus is, like, heavily sponsored by nVidia anyways. Does that automatically make you not trust any of his nVidia vids?

so we know it has at least the performance of the 390 for 199$. if you take a look at the benchmarks its at least a 45% improvement over the 380x.

but he said good vr cards are about 400$ so he probably ment the 390x. this would result in an even bigger improvement. 

thumps up amd. thats exactly what i hoped you would do.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

To much talk about VR which I have zero interest in. Do yeah, IDK what to take away rom the video

Also: I am waiting for benchmarks before deciding

4 hours ago, nicklmg said:

This video was sponsored by AMD. Learn more at http://bit.ly/1spyBdu

AMD just dropped some CRAZY knowledge... 

when I saw the price: HOLY B*LLS!

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

So what did happen with the computex videos?

Judging from specs on the car it looks to be near 390 specs.  I was just planning on buying a 390, but have held off on it since news was coming out soon.  Soooo hyped for this card.

DJ YUNO / HanicIzKanio

Current Build:

Spoiler

i5-4690k@4.2ghz, XFX R7 370 4gb, 32gb RAM, MSI Z97S Krait Edition, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO + 3tb WD Blue, Coolermaster GeminII S524 Ver.2, Phanteks White Enthoo Luxe

3 hours ago, bill52600 said:

you cant trust what buddy? your own eyes? They just showed the GPU lol.

Well we all have to wait for trust worthy 3rd partie benchmarks.

But sofar for the price it realy looks impressive to me.

In terms of specs its realy close to a R9-390 at a way lower wattage and price, thats amazing.

GTX 1080 = 600$ (700$)

2 x RX 480 = 400$

Profit