Price tag of RX 480 Revealed: $199 4GB, $229 8GB (Confirmed)

Briggsy
42 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Right, but how much of that 8GB will actually be used? The only way to push VRAM is by going at ultra high resolutions at ultra high detail settings, something this GPU simply can't do, or VR, at which point you're getting the 8GB model anyway.

I think that if you plan to do VR on the thing, you get the 8GB model. If you're staying at 1080p or 1440p just get the 4GB model. It's more than enough.

Right, but nobody is only gaming these days. They are also recording or broadcasting or editing or CAD etc. Those applications will be happy to use up *GB of VRAM. If somebody is ONLY gaming on a powerful enough PC, something is wrong with that someone. For just only 30 bucks more, it's a great value.

2 minutes ago, RexinOridle said:

Nobody is only gaming these days. They are also recording or broadcasting or editing or CAD etc. For just only 30 bucks more, it's a great value.

None of that needs 8GB Vram LOL.

You would need 4K or higher res and copious amounts of AA to run out of Vram with 4GB.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

5 minutes ago, hex4 said:

None of that needs 8GB Vram LOL.

You would need 4K or higher res and copious amounts of AA to run out of Vram with 4GB.

Photoshop, Aftereffects (Not sure about premiere), Solidworks, 3DS Max, CryEngine, UnrealEngine, Open broadcaster with VCE while game would be more than happy. 

I hope AMD relases a R 490 soon because the 480 doesnt seem that good

1 hour ago, Dogeystyle said:

The GPU in this is the same as the one going in the PS4.5...which means we can't make potato jokes anymore because that would actually be quite a powerful machine.

Where´d they say that? From what I know, it was supposed to be something with double the power of the current chip in the console, so about 7870 performance.

1 hour ago, Dogeystyle said:

The GPU in this is the same as the one going in the PS4.5...which means we can't make potato jokes anymore because that would actually be quite a powerful machine.

Double post

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

1070: 6.5 TFLOPS

RX480: assuming 5.5-5.7 TFLOPS (AMD said >5 so anything is possible here).

Do some math and you'll be at 84-88% of the performance, at stock speeds. This number will increase one overclockers get their hands on one.

Well TFLOPS isn´t exactly the be all end all way of telling how powerful a card will be.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Where´d they say that? From what I know, it was supposed to be something with double the power of the current chip in the console, so about 7870 performance.

The new PS GPU is rumoured to have 36 CUs/ 2304 GCN cores and an "improved GCN architecture" running at 900 or so MHz. A it's supposed to cost $500 a console if you and I were to buy it. This is obviously not the same architecture as PS4 since those specs with old GCN would lead to 7970 power consumption which only a fool would put in a console.

Here comes the fun part: the GPU in the R9 480 has 36 CUs, for 2304 GCN cores at 1000+ MHz, and it costs $200 dollars RETAIL (Sony would obviously be paying much less than that for mass manufacture and since they're only buying chips). I'm just putting two and two together.

Also, the GPU in the PS4 is equal to about a 7950 in the well optimised games. It's the CPU that holds it back. This GPU would give it a proper ability for 1080p/60 which would be amazing value at $500. 

Reading more and more about it, as much as i was excited about this, i'm getting hesitant about upgrading from the gtx770... I am almost definitely going to go for AMD upgrade(cuz i need a new monitor and freesync is well, free) but i might wait out a more powerful card, i just hope they can get out an equally killer price-to-performance card in 350$-ish ballpark(and soon :) ).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

4 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

1070: 6.5 TFLOPS

RX480: assuming 5.5-5.7 TFLOPS (AMD said >5 so anything is possible here).

Do some math and you'll be at 84-88% of the performance, at stock speeds. This number will increase one overclockers get their hands on one.

By that math the R9 Fury X should be mopping the floor with the GTX 980 Ti.

14 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

By that math the R9 Fury X should be mopping the floor with the GTX 980 Ti.

Which it does, in terms of raw performance. It's mostly dumb drivers that cripple it. Hell, it mops the floor with the Titan X (at 6.1 GFLOPS compared to the Fury X's 8.6 GFLOPS) and with the recent 1080 benchmarks the Fury X is mostly on par or besting the Titan X.

2 hours ago, GregButcher said:

Reading more and more about it, as much as i was excited about this, i'm getting hesitant about upgrading from the gtx770... I am almost definitely going to go for AMD upgrade(cuz i need a new monitor and freesync is well, free) but i might wait out a more powerful card, i just hope they can get out an equally killer price-to-performance card in 350$-ish ballpark(and soon :) ).

The RX480 is probably AMD's highest-end Polaris card. Anything above that will be Vega which is apparently coming October.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Which it does, in terms of raw performance. It's mostly dumb drivers that cripple it. Hell, it mops the floor with the Titan X (at 6.1 GFLOPS compared to the Fury X's 8.6 GFLOPS) and with the recent 1080 benchmarks the Fury X is mostly on par or besting the Titan X.

I don't buy a gpu to do raw performance, I buy a gpu to game on.

11 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Which it does, in terms of raw performance. It's mostly dumb drivers that cripple it.

Its probably the weak graphic command processor that cripples Fiji in DX11. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR